Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 07:13 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,811,485 times

Advertisements

The first step in self defense is realizing you are being attacked. Every working person in the US is under assault by the corrupt businessmen and their RW political slaves. We should have realized decades ago but RW propaganda has kept us distracted with race and religion.

Romney made millions destroying American jobs and the RW working poor are still going to vote for him. Mammon wins another and Herr Gobbles is grinning in Hell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 07:26 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,666,526 times
If the middle class is shrinking then the upper class or the lower class have to be expanding...
personally, i don't see the lower class expanding at the rate that the middle class is reportedly shrinking so that means some of the middle class folks are being forced up into the upper class.. OH THE HORROR! jk

I am middle class... if the middle class is shrinking then I could be forced to either the top or the bottom but I don't see taxes as the driving force that moves me in either direction. I see my work ethic as the driving force that moves me up or down...

I know that if I work hard (and smart) then I could be forced into the upper class, taxes be damned. I also know that if I don't work hard (or smart) then I could be forced into the lower class, taxes be damned.

I'm not saying taxes are not part of the equation, I am saying that work ethic is a bigger part of the equation. Some folks are poor because they have poor work ethic. The middle class is not a PRIVATE club, anyone with a good work ethic can and will gain admittance. Anyone with a poor work ethic will likely never gain admittance but simply complain about how unfair it is to them to not be included.

Some folks are poor because of circumstance but if they have a good work ethic, they will NOT remain poor.. only those with poor work ethics remain poor and in the lower class.

Old 07-25-2012, 07:43 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,958,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
If the middle class is shrinking then the upper class or the lower class have to be expanding...
personally, i don't see the lower class expanding...
You don't see it because your eyes are closed. It's easily documented that the poor segment is increasing.

Old 07-25-2012, 07:47 AM

So, will everyone in the middle class eventually be forced to the lower class?

If so, my eyes are closed because I don't see that!

Old 07-25-2012, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
You don't see it because your eyes are closed. It's easily documented that the poor segment is increasing.
You forgot to QUOTE my exact sentence and therefore changed the entire POINT!

I said; "i don't see the lower class expanding at the rate that the middle class is reportedly shrinking"

I did NOT say I don't see the lower class expanding...... DA

Old 07-25-2012, 07:53 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,811,485 times
You eyes are open but looking in the wrong direction. It is your mind that is closed. More people get dropped from the middle to lower class than are ever raised to the upper crust. All it takes is a market reversal, a collapse of house prices or one major, even if insured, illness.

Old 07-25-2012, 07:55 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,958,729 times
This is rather comprehensive from Rueters:

A shrinking middle class means a shrinking economy | The Great Debate

Old 07-25-2012, 07:56 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,680,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
I think it is and it's a war the GOP started.

Ever since they won control of the House of Representatives and several states in 2010, they have launched an unprecedented assault on working American's and the poor. They've attacked union bargaining in several states, cut or eliminated promised retirement benefits, laid off thousands of government workers, failed to offer a jobs program of their own beyond cutting taxes for the wealthy, tried to eliminate health and safety regulations, defunded education and turned some states into virtual corporate fiefdoms by parking corporate bureaucrats right alongside the state agencies which regulate them (see: Oklahoma). Along the way, they've promised to eliminate health care options, cut off aid to the poor, "privatize" Social Security and defund various regulatory bodies. They're promising "you people" little more than scraps from the tables of the elites.

In August, they will nominate a candidate who represents the worst excesses of the modern day Era of the Robber Barons which has been responsible for the virtual annihilation of the middle class and the outsourcing or off-shoring of our jobs. He's a man with a history of slashing and burning American jobs in the name of corporate profitability.

And then, they have the audacity to try and make us believe that what's good for the elite is good for us.
I don't know who you got your silly talking points from, but to say the GOP is against working people is possibly the silliest thing I've ever heard. It's welfare entitlement hos that the GOP hates, and rightfully so.

But keep on drawing those welfare checks. If the current administration gets it way, soon nobody will be working, and then who's gonna buy your Twinkies? Looks like you'll starve like people in third world countries, and nobody will give 2 sheets.

lmao@u.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:00 AM

20,463 posts, read 12,392,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
I think it is and it's a war the GOP started.

Ever since they won control of the House of Representatives and several states in 2010, they have launched an unprecedented assault on working American's and the poor. They've attacked union bargaining in several states, cut or eliminated promised retirement benefits, laid off thousands of government workers, failed to offer a jobs program of their own beyond cutting taxes for the wealthy, tried to eliminate health and safety regulations, defunded education and turned some states into virtual corporate fiefdoms by parking corporate bureaucrats right alongside the state agencies which regulate them (see: Oklahoma). Along the way, they've promised to eliminate health care options, cut off aid to the poor, "privatize" Social Security and defund various regulatory bodies. They're promising "you people" little more than scraps from the tables of the elites.

In August, they will nominate a candidate who represents the worst excesses of the modern day Era of the Robber Barons which has been responsible for the virtual annihilation of the middle class and the outsourcing or off-shoring of our jobs. He's a man with a history of slashing and burning American jobs in the name of corporate profitability.

And then, they have the audacity to try and make us believe that what's good for the elite is good for us.
well.... you are right about it being about class warfare. that is where you stop being right.

Republicans were SENT to congress by a mad electorate fed up with Obama spending like a drunken democrat with the mandate to work toward fiscal sanity. OBAMA has been the obstructionist not the other way round.

NOW Obama has NOTHING to run on so what does he retreat to? Class warfare. Its disgusting and transparant and I believe most Americans see it and reject it.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
You eyes are open but looking in the wrong direction. It is your mind that is closed. More people get dropped from the middle to lower class than are ever raised to the upper crust. All it takes is a market reversal, a collapse of house prices or one major, even if insured, illness.
How is my mind closed? Because I see things differently than you.. ? OH the irony!

I did not say that more or less folks get moved from the middle to the lower class.. I said that there is an opportunity for folks to move to the middle as well as to the upper class and work ethic has MORE to do with it than taxes.. that's what I said, not that more folks were moving up than down!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies