Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2012, 08:08 AM

8,145 posts, read 6,531,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
What are you talking about- There is no glory or honor left in the institution that is the Olympic games...you are in dream land...If there was a drop real ethical intelligence left in the games - They would NEVER have honored China...as an athlete runs around carrying the torch of fair play- down in the basement some non-compliant citizen was having their brains bashed out with an iron bar...Give me a break.

If it was about PEACE there would have also been forgiveness and some silly slight about bugs biting Africans would have been forgotten and put aside as a simple bad joke..A person trains- works hard all their life and is ready to show their stuff- and some geek Greek wants to appear noble and politically correct ruins an athletes life...This move is much worse - and more full of real hatred than a silly twitter comment about home made food and some immigrants who have taken refuge in Greece and excepted their kindness...with out charge....If it was a fair world- and true good faith existed- ONE Greek African immigrant would have stood up for the Greeks in general.

To attack a Greek in Greece where the games originated can only be described as oppressive and thankless...

I do not detect any hate- just one person with a dark sense of humor....When real hate comes along- what are you going to do then?
you conveniently concentrate on the joke that is nothing and ignore the full picture. She has connections with a hate group whose leaders are very violent. I suspect this is the real reason she is going home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 09:25 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,337,762 times
She didn't really say anything racially sensitive. All she was saying is that there are many Africans living in Greece. Most of those Africans are not allowed to even be in Greece but sneak over illegally. She could be interpreted as speaking for the laws of her country. I think it was too harsh to ban her from the games.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:36 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,820,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
you conveniently concentrate on the joke that is nothing and ignore the full picture. She has connections with a hate group whose leaders are very violent. I suspect this is the real reason she is going home.
Did not realize that. Hate group? So this Greek is organized and represents a group that do not want black people or other immigrants flooding into Greece...seeing that resources are now limited by the EU....I get the picture- so some will see this person as a national hero- while the rest of the EU will see her as a horrific nationalist guarding the traditional culture of Greece that the EU wants to wipe out...

It all depends on what constituted a "hate" group- if they advocate violence and harming their African guests..then I say shut her down- If she is not really a hater but just wants her homeland back in the hands of Greeks...that is another matter - where her human rights are being stomped on- I don't know enough to give a good evaluation..

Got a pic of this person? Let me have a look- I have a good eye and can see if there is hate there or righteous indignation- she might just be a Greek red neck...they are entitled to a red neck culture just as Americans are. If this person is some crazed hater...that makes no sense...then I would also condemn her....The point might be - are nationalists entitled to survival or do we just destroy them?

Old 07-26-2012, 09:45 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,474,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Seriously? You think that an organization whose spokesperson physically assaults another politician is something worthy of praise?

Given that this athlete has tweeted her support for Golden Dawn and Ilias Kasidiaris, I'm glad that her comment about Africans was taken for what it truly was and not simply a questionable joke.

"Gold Dawn spokesman Ilias Kasidiaris throws water at Syriza part deputy Rena Dourou before attacking Communist MP Liana Kanellis."

Greek Politician Slaps Woman During Live Debate - CNBC
Wow. Dude is up there straight slapping women. And SHE supports that? All levels of stupid.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:52 AM

8,145 posts, read 6,531,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Did not realize that. Hate group? So this Greek is organized and represents a group that do not want black people or other immigrants flooding into Greece...seeing that resources are now limited by the EU....I get the picture- so some will see this person as a national hero- while the rest of the EU will see her as a horrific nationalist guarding the traditional culture of Greece that the EU wants to wipe out...

It all depends on what constituted a "hate" group- if they advocate violence and harming their African guests..then I say shut her down- If she is not really a hater but just wants her homeland back in the hands of Greeks...that is another matter - where her human rights are being stomped on- I don't know enough to give a good evaluation..

Got a pic of this person? Let me have a look- I have a good eye and can see if there is hate there or righteous indignation- she might just be a Greek red neck...they are entitled to a red neck culture just as Americans are. If this person is some crazed hater...that makes no sense...then I would also condemn her....The point might be - are nationalists entitled to survival or do we just destroy them?
Here is who she supports
Greek Politician Slaps Woman During Live Debate - CNBC

Old 07-26-2012, 09:54 AM

8,299 posts, read 8,606,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
Wow. Dude is up there straight slapping women. And SHE supports that? All levels of stupid.
Yes, one would think that, as a extreme nationalist, he would at least refrain from physically assaulting "real" Greek women. But no. So much for national pride.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:54 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
"With so many Africans in Greece, the mosquitoes from the West Nile will at least be eating some homemade food," Papachristou said on Twitter."

Will people never learn? Bad enough that she thinks that way, but to think that she could put it on Twitter is beyond moronic.

Greek athlete suspended from Olympic team for offensive remarks - CNN.com
the definition of racist is: a person with a prejudiced belief that one race is superior to others.

Explain to me how this statement qualifies as racist.

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-26-2012, 10:14 AM

8,299 posts, read 8,606,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
the definition of racist is: a person with a prejudiced belief that one race is superior to others.

Explain to me how this statement qualifies as racist.

20yrsinBranson
Where did I say racist? I said "xenophobic."

Old 07-26-2012, 10:20 AM

73,019 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
It was a joke. Hatred? Gimme a break. The feigned outrage is sad.
How is the outrage fake? And what do you find so funny about comparing Africans to mosquito food? Explain it because I don't get it.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:22 AM

73,019 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempusFugitive View Post
Perhaps I simply don't understand.

Her hypothesis was this:

1) There are many people from Africa in Greece.

Is this the racist part? I wouldn't consider it racist if someone said, "There are a lot of people from the UK in LA."

2) There are Mosquitos from Africa.

Is this the racist part? I can't imagine, but I can't imagine the rest of it as racist, either.

3) Mosquitos will bite people, including many people from Africa.

This doesn't seem racist. I'd consider it just mathematically sound.

4) Humorous anecdote: At least they get home made food.

The mosquitos are from Africa, many people in Greece are from Africa right now.

Can someone explain the racist part? This sounds like a storm spilled from a cup more than anything.
The racist is part is that she singled out Africans, and compared them to mosquito food, with the intent too say something mean. As a Black man myself, I find NOTHING humorous about it. Uptight? Maybe to you I am. I get enough racial crap here in the USA. I don't want to here it from someone who is suppose to set an example for her country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies