Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 11:20 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,959,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Here is where you are wrong. And I'm no fan of assault rifles (for other reasons).

My Browning automatic rifle (BAR) I use for hunting. Its a semiautomatic 30-06 rifle.

Its the exact same gun, and operates in the exact same way as most other semi-automatic assault rifles.

The difference is, you can buy 100 round magazines for the assault rifle, the gun, how it looks, its muzzle guards, etc is pointless. Its the fact that you can put such a large magazine on it.

Restrict the production of large magazines and their sales, and it will help with these kind of psychotic incidents.

End them? No, never will. Help to lower the amount of people they can shoot without taking 5 seconds to reload, yep. 5 seconds in a gun fight is an eternity.

Removing all assault rifles is silly, one semi-automatic rifle is really no different from another. Restrict the magazine size you can sell for it.
Comon man you got a BAR and Ak/Ar's are a problem? hell if these anti's had any idea what a BAR is they would be down all over you in a heart beat!

I know your a good guy from chats in the past but i didn't know you had that BAR! That cuts it you send me that gun right now! LOL

If the wacko's knew what that gun could do and got one they would do what you do on paper to people!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2012, 11:25 AM

45,344 posts, read 60,522,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Comon man you got a BAR and Ak/Ar's are a problem? hell if these anti's had any idea what a BAR is they would be down all over you in a heart beat!

I know your a good guy from chats in the past but i didn't know you had that BAR! That cuts it you send me that gun right now! LOL

If the wacko's knew what that gun could do and got one they would do what you do on paper to people!

I think what means is this:

not this:

Old 07-28-2012, 11:25 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,380,865 times
Quote:

To quote someone else, familiar to both sides of the gun restriction fight. "You can have my," BAR, "when you pry it from my cold dead hand!"

Semi auto though, not the bonnie and clyde version

These psycho killers grab large magazines because they know they have one chance to kill as many people as possible. I think we should restrict magazine size. I also think that people should be trained in the use of the gun they buy, before buying it. Thats my personal belief though, I've seen way to many idiots with guns.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:27 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,309,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
In the US Doctors kill more people than guns every year.
Ya, right. They spend all day seeing perfectly healthy people so they can figure out how to kill them so it looks like they died of cancer, diabetes, heart attacks---well, anything but a gun shot wound.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I think what means is this:

not this:

But you can still buy the second one, for a pretty penny.

I wish I had a real, full auto BAR.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:34 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,959,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Madison and other founding fathers supported gun ownership under the idea that you don't need a large standing military if the populace at large is armed.

Now we have a large standing military, so why is the populace armed.

See the boggle here?

I know what you are saying, and I agree with you. No where on this forum or anywhere else will you see or hear of me supporting outright bans on all firearms for public use. Thats stupid.

What I'm saying is that 100 round magazines and fully automatic weapons have no place in the general populace, because the only two threats that you would face that would need those kinds of weapons are outside invasion, or overthrow of the government.

Our military is simply to big, to powerful, to overthrow with a minor insurrection of civilians armed with AR-15's and AK-47's, just not practical.

Turning your swords into plows, as the founding fathers wanted, was a way to secure the population from a tyrannical government with a military that is to powerful for the people to overthrow.

No one is saying the populace should turn their guns into plows, but that our military should.

"In time of actual war, great discretionary powers are constantly given to the Executive Magistrate. Constant apprehension of War, has the same tendency to render the head too large for the body. A standing military force, with an overgrown Executive will not long be safe companions to liberty. The means of defence agst. foreign danger, have been always the instruments of tyranny at home. Among the Romans it was a standing maxim to excite a war, whenever a revolt was apprehended. Throughout all Europe, the armies kept up under the pretext of defending, have enslaved the people."

James Madison
Nope...... During WW-2 the Marines, Army and navy were all just a little busy elsewhere. There was no air force as it was part of the Army at the time, so that is moot, and the only thing that stopped the Japanese from invading the west coast lower 48 is they knew that behind every blade of grass was a civilain with a loaded rifle.

Our military is not too big to fail as you think, and it won't so long as it remains faithful to it's oath. There is only so much military and just think I am the living father of one of them this instant.

Who's side would you suppose he would take if there were ilegal orders to kill dear old Dad?

Turning our militaries weapons into plows????? Really? Why then we would all plow I suppose but not for any all American profit, but for whom ever conquer it iwas that took us!

Are you proposing world wide Peace! neva goona happen so long as man walks ther face of earth... Not now not ever and that is purely based on all past history, and since there never has been PEACE on Earth i am willing to bet the bank there never will be.

Wanna loose that BAR?
I will bet both my Ak's for that BAR right now! talk about assualt rifles a main battle rifle. Man you had me fooled bad, BAR LOL You just became my hero other than yer a little mixed up

Old 07-28-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Nope...... During WW-2 the Marines, Army and navy were all just a little busy elsewhere. There was no air force as it was part of the Army at the time, so that is moot, and the only thing that stopped the Japanese from invading the west coast lower 48 is they knew that behind every blade of grass was a civilain with a loaded rifle.

Our military is not too big to fail as you think, and it won't so long as it remains faithful to it's oath. There is only so much military and just think I am the living father of one of them this instant.

Who's side would you suppose he would take if there were ilegal orders to kill dear old Dad?

Turning our militaries weapons into plows????? Really? Why then we would all plow I suppose but not for any all American profit, but for whom ever conquer it iwas that took us!

Are you proposing world wide Peace! neva goona happen so long as man walks ther face of earth... Not now not ever and that is purely based on all past history, and since there never has been PEACE on Earth i am willing to bet the bank there never will be.

Wanna loose that BAR?
I will bet both my Ak's for that BAR right now! talk about assualt rifles a main battle rifle. Man you had me fooled bad, BAR LOL You just became my hero other than yer a little mixed up

No, we had a small military at the start of WWII. Our navy was big, but the standing army was small, air force (army air force at the time) was in its infancy. Marines were a part of the navy, but their enrollment was small.

It was US tradition to gut the military during peacetime, until after WWII because of the cold war with Russia.

Thats why our military is still so big today, it was designed to fight the soviets. And its why we should gut it, the soviets aren't a threat anymore.

The Japanese didn't invade the west coast because they knew our population was fairly well armed. They did try to invade Alaska, to cut off parts of our oil supplies, but that failed miserably as well.

Old 07-28-2012, 12:12 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,659,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Sure there is. They are fun to shoot. I am going out in a few minutes to shoot a couple of Lewis Machine Tools AR-15s I just picked up to add to the arsenal. They have the new "Defendar-15" stocks which legally converts them to full auto (ATF approved). I think I have about 15 ar-15s and ten ar-10s, in addition to 15 m1 carbines, ten m1-garands, several german mausers and G 43s, M1-As, 03 Springfields, 30-30 lever actions, .45-70 lever actions as well as several shotguns and about twenty five handguns. This, of course, does not include the .22 rifles and pellet guns, which we do not count as actual guns.

Why do I have this number? Because I sold quite a few about three years ago.

If you shot these weapons , you would have a good time. We are mostly target shooters and only hunt hogs in Texas. Most of the people at our range are cops, national guard, or active duty military guys. They can many times give you a few good pointers and are interesting people to chat with. Shooting is a social event and a good hobby which is far less dangerous than horseback riding, mountain climbing, or probably even bike riding. Given that these activities are more dangerous, one should consider, if interested in public safety, banning horses, bikes and preventing people from mountain climbing. Cheerleading, of course, is the most dangerous "sport" and should be banned as well.
Have fun with the Fostech Stocks. I have some and they are truly sweet.

Old 07-28-2012, 12:13 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,574,700 times
The Japanese did not invade the USA because of, 1 the US navy and 2 the logistics. Certainly not because the civilian American population had a few pop guns, LOL.

If that dumb theory was true they would have invaded the west coast of Canada eh????

Old 07-28-2012, 12:29 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,659,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
The Japanese did not invade the USA because of, 1 the US navy and 2 the logistics. Certainly not because the civilian American population had a few pop guns, LOL.

If that dumb theory was true they would have invaded the west coast of Canada eh????
Logistics hell. they invaded Malaysia and were on their way to australia until the battle of The Coral Sea. They pretty much took over the whole south Pacific including the Phillipines which is composed of over 1000 islands. did it all in less than 18 months too. They tried to take Midway as a staging base for the invasion of America but the US Navy prevented that in one of the greatest sea battles ever fought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies