Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the government control the sale of machine guns
No, guns should be available to the average citizen 66 51.56%
Yes, machine guns should not be accessible to citizens 62 48.44%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 07:33 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,982,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawdog View Post
I sometimes wonder if the authors of the "right to free speech" may have worded it differently if they knew what kind of firepower, i.e., Internet, film, texting, video, television, radio, they were condoning a few hundred years up the road.
I am sure they would have banned cars right off, microwave ovens too, and all indoor plumbing.. All bath tubs would still be made of wood, and had they ever known of plastics they would have been crossed off the list as the pure evil the stuff is.

You do have the right to free speech, you have no right to a PC, camera and etc. back then there was this thing called field of honor and for free speech, sometimes a man would be called to prove his honor..

That made Free Speech something a bit more special than the gun grabber whine...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 07:35 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,982,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
Where did the TS state that an AK-47 is a machine gun? I suggest you go back and read the title. He clearly asks "should owning ak-47's AND machine guns be legal.
The OP didn't make anything clear and that is a part of the problem, not to mention he abandoned the thread...

Last edited by CaseyB; 07-30-2012 at 12:47 PM..

Old 07-30-2012, 08:25 AM

5,756 posts, read 4,002,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I sometimes wonder if the authors of the "right to bear arms" may have worded it differently if they knew what kind of firepower they were condoning a few hundred years up the road.
They had cannons which when filled with nails chains and other nasty stuff can do considerable damage its just not as accurate or have the range as today's weapons.The local militia which was not apart of the US military back in the day bought their own cannon to train on it sits today at Greenlawn Cemetry guarding Soldiers Circle.YOU people are quick in continuing to point out that somehow our Founding Fathers were stupid and out of touch? This document called the US Constitution has served US well for hundreds of years now with this so called unknown upstart Constitutional lawyer its suddenly flawed and outdated? Really....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=kj-yBtNMhoo

Old 07-30-2012, 08:34 AM

46,319 posts, read 27,152,415 times
Quote:
Where did the TS state that an AK-47 is a machine gun? I suggest you go back and read the title. He clearly asks "should owning ak-47's AND machine guns be legal.
I suggest that you go back and read his poll question. He clearly does not define the difference, he talks about an AK-47 AND machinie guns in his OP, however his poll very clearly lumps the AK-47 in with fully auto machine guns.

However, this entire thread has been screwed from the beginning....pretyy much just a useless thread....

Old 07-30-2012, 08:37 AM

Quote:
People are always going to kill people. That is never going to change. However limiting what one can use to kill people will indeed make a difference. If I recall correctly, the movie theater shooters AR-15 jammed and he had to resort to using a handgun. The police clearly stated that the casualty rate would have been much higher had that high powered assault rifle not jammed.

Now I have a strong stance that every single American has the right to bear arms in order to defend one's self, his home, and his family. Although I do feel that a restriction on certain firearms should be in place. No reason why Joe Schmo should be able to walk into a store and purchase unlimited amounts of high powered assault rifles and machine guns with thousands and thousands of ammunition rounds just for the sake of doing so.
You cannot, Joe Schmo cannot just walk in anywhere and buy a machine gun....how many itmes does this have to be said? Or are you lumping in the AK-47 and M-16 in the fully auotmatic bucket?

And why cannot I buy thousands of rounds? They were on sale, at a great price?

Old 07-30-2012, 09:02 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,685,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
If not, isn't that gun control??

Our second amendment, gives the citizens the right to have the same weapons as the government.

Think about what happened to make us have the stance we did, when the US Constitution was composed.

The people controlling the government. Not the government controlling the people, like it was all over the rest of the world.

How the turn of the last century, changed everything, trashing our US Constitution. The power was transferred to the government.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:08 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,827,375 times
Just to add fuel and a factoid to the fire, IIRC both the M-15 and the AK-47 have a full auto firing mode.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:09 AM

59,185 posts, read 27,388,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
I always wanted to mount a 50 cal on top of my car to blow the folks driving slow in the left lane off the road.
We put one on a Jeep and when fired from the side it almost blew the Jeep over. When fired forward it would stop the Jeep's forward progress.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Just to add fuel and a factoid to the fire, IIRC both the M-15 and the AK-47 have a full auto firing mode.
I don't think anyone here disputes that, the people that really know about guns, anyway. But to get one, you cannot be joe schmoe on the street, they are treated just like any other fully automatic weapon.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:53 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,793,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Just to add fuel and a factoid to the fire, IIRC both the M-15
The what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies