Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 09:24 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,821,925 times

Advertisements

Tasing is somewhat less permenant than shooting the kid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 09:35 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,353,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancap View Post
Yep. Guilty until proven innocent eh? According to the government anyone who owns guns,has more than a weeks worth of food or believes in the constitution are terrorists aka criminals...according to the government unless you kiss their butt and do as you are told every step of your life you are a criminal or a terrorist.

Guilty until proven innocent.....kind of like your view of the actions of the cop here

Old 07-30-2012, 09:56 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,212,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Stop following me around like a little kid with these stupid ass comments. If you're a police officer and can't get a handle on a 12 year old girl without a taser, then i don't know what to say for you.

Now please, go play somewhere...i'm busy talking to adults.
Police officers use tasers for numerous reasons and 12 year old's can be just a vicious if not more than an adult.

Why should the police officer risk the chance of getting injured trying to subdue a female?

Not to mention this sounds really fishy:

Quote:
"He said, put your hands behind your back. I said for what. Next thing you know he tackled me down on the ground," said Bratton.

Baker said, "I was just crying. I guess he got mad because I was crying or something, then he just took it out and just tased me."
I guess teenagers don't realize just how dumb their lies sound to adults...

Old 07-30-2012, 10:18 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,172,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancap View Post
They can choose to look the other way or save their time and money and simply send me a notice. But hey they are out harassing me they aren't harassing others.
1. They cannot choose to look the other way. If they get caught doing so, they could be reprimanded or terminated. Also, that would be like saying, I can choose what tech support calls to accept, and which ones I choose to look the other way on. If you were calling for computer support, I am SURE you would appreciate being overlooked?
Quote:
Well the 1 place I pass on double yellow is a straight road for about a mile and I make sure no one is coming first. I do about 60 when the speed limit is 55 seems to be the norm.
2. So, 55 is a suggestion? Someone who only steals a little is ok, someone who steals a lot is bad? So the rd is straight for a mile, there is STILL a reason for the double line. Just because YOU think otherwise, doesn't make it so.

Really funny, I had to drive to Arlington saturday, and this guy blew by me, even though the speed limit was 70. Now I will change lanes to maintain constant speed when I have to, but I tend to drive fairly reserved. He was driving a red mustang, (I drive a supercharged Grand Prix GTP Comp G), and I watched him blow by me about a dozen times, cause he would bounce all over each lane, and end up getting caught in traffic over and over. The funny thing was, the first time he blew by me was in Richmond, and I blew by me the last time as I was pulling off the interstate in Arlington.

Driving back, I set my cruise at the speed limit, and again, would change lanes to remain at speed when I had to, and got back to Va. Beach in good time. I figure, if I drove at 5MPH over the speed limit the entire time, I MAY have gotten back 17 minutes earlier. Big deal.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:28 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,478,115 times
So just to make sure we are all on the same page:
So far in this thread,

The Cop gets the benefit of doubt,
The 12 year is lying because she is probably a criminal,
We still dont know what happened but everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:32 AM

1,403 posts, read 938,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Provide examples of immoral laws. Would that include seat belt laws? Why would anyone not want to wear a seat belt anyway? Is it perhaps because there is a law that says you have to?
I don't wear a seatbelt because I simply don't want to. I have before and most of the time I don't. I am not some subject they can order around I have rights I intend to use my right to control what I do with my body. If it makes them happy then they can give me all the 15$ tickets every day and I still won't wear it. Its my body if I get in a wreck and die its my problem not anyone else's I don't need a nanny state telling me what to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Guilty until proven innocent.....kind of like your view of the actions of the cop here
Actually I haven't came to a conclusion either way yet. Does seem he was a little trigger happy.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:54 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,830,155 times
They refer in the article to the 12 year old as a "teenager" - I thought that 13 was the earliest stage or teenage hood? These cops are pretty lame...Why and how would a cop go to a mall looking for someone who had a minor warrant out- sounds like the police have little to do in this town. Don't like the Orwellian term "tase" I much prefer the word "electrocute" - more realistic. Seems if some cops don't like you or find you irritating - they punish you on the spot with a jolt from a cattle prod....If the cop was so concerned about the 12 year old he should have called for back up - instead of getting his jollies watching people he did not like personally - convulsing on the floor....

The cop should have walked up to the pair and said- I would like to talk to you - I believe there may be a warrant for your arrest- walking in and saying "put your hands behind your back" Is not a very good way to start a citizen cop relationship...You cuff people who need restraint- You talk first.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
So far in this thread,

Nope, so far in this thread, we don't know. We have the statement of the young lady and her mother, but that is simply one side of the story. Others have already pointed this out.

Some have also said, that you shouldn't consider the officer guilty, and then prove him innocent, but to consider him innocent, till proven guilty.

No one here KNOWS what happened, and until we have better information, we cannot make an informed decision.

Some here, have noted that the 12 year old's statement was inconsistent, but in MY eyes, MOST kids statements are inconsistent.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:12 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,934,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
So far in this thread,

You are right, we don't know.

But, this needs independent, thorough and impartial investigation. Any reasonable person should be concerned if police officers are using Tasers on children and I think we need to know that he had absolutely no alternative. If that is not the case then the officer should be fired.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
They refer in the article to the 12 year old as a "teenager" - I thought that 13 was the earliest stage or teenage hood? These cops are pretty lame...Why and how would a cop go to a mall looking for someone who had a minor warrant out- sounds like the police have little to do in this town. Don't like the Orwellian term "tase" I much prefer the word "electrocute" - more realistic. Seems if some cops don't like you or find you irritating - they punish you on the spot with a jolt from a cattle prod....If the cop was so concerned about the 12 year old he should have called for back up - instead of getting his jollies watching people he did not like personally - convulsing on the floor....

The cop should have walked up to the pair and said- I would like to talk to you - I believe there may be a warrant for your arrest- walking in and saying "put your hands behind your back" Is not a very good way to start a citizen cop relationship...You cuff people who need restraint- You talk first.
If the woman had a warrant for her arrest, then she already HAD a Citizen/Cop relationship.

Electrocute is inaccurate, "Electric shock" is more accurate.

e·lec·tro·cute (-lktr-kyt)tr.v. e·lec·tro·cut·ed, e·lec·tro·cut·ing, e·lec·tro·cutes 1. To kill with electricity: a worker who was electrocuted by a high-tension wire.
2. To execute (a condemned prisoner) by means of electricity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies