Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 08:44 AM

6,262 posts, read 5,071,153 times

Advertisements

I was reading another thread in this section of the board talking about welfare, and someone commented that this was one of the reasons that this upcoming election was so important.

I think one of the most important reasons that this upcoming election is so important is the make up of the Supreme Court. One more liberal leaning judge on the panel and many issues that this the supreme court deals with (whether its gay rights, gun legislation, health care etc) may have a different outcome than conservatives would like to see. Political activism on the bench is a real concern.

Presidents on both side of the aisle come and go, but supreme court judges are on the bench for a very long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 08:48 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,495,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
I was reading another thread in this section of the board talking about welfare, and someone commented that this was one of the reasons that this upcoming election was so important.

I think one of the most important reasons that this upcoming election is so important is the make up of the Supreme Court. One more liberal leaning judge on the panel and many issues that this the supreme court deals with (whether its gay rights, gun legislation, health care etc) may have a different outcome than conservatives would like to see. Political activism on the bench is a real concern.

Presidents on both side of the aisle come and go, but supreme court judges are on the bench for a very long time.
I think you're right pointing out that an important impcact of the next election may be the appointment of a Supreme Court Justice. I believe the Court has become the bastion of jusicial activism and has deecided some, many cases based on partisan politics and not in keeping with what the framers of our Constitution envisioned. There are several reasons why President Obama should be re-elected. Protecting our judicial system from further perversion is one of them.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:54 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,673,869 times
Quote:

You are absolutely correct. The president is little more than a figurehead. Neither he nor the VP are good for much of anything. The president consoles the nation in the face of national tragedy. The VP goes to funerals of foreign heads of state. That's about it.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:04 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,455,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
I think you're right pointing out that an important impcact of the next election may be the appointment of a Supreme Court Justice. I believe the Court has become the bastion of jusicial activism and has deecided some, many cases based on partisan politics and not in keeping with what the framers of our Constitution envisioned. There are several reasons why President Obama should be re-elected. Protecting our judicial system from further perversion is one of them.
How deluded could one be!? Obama appoints TWO Liberal activists to the bench and you go on to say that he is "protecting" the Judicial branch? This is exactly what is wrong in America........ Not a very informed and smart voting base.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:09 AM

2,836 posts, read 3,496,479 times
Every time the federal courts come out with a decision that is contrary to popular sentiment, there is a great outcry about "liberal judges," "conservative judges," "activist judges" - not to mention a general call to "reform" the courts, or do away with them altogether. Such criticisms are hardly justified. Indeed, it would be difficult to find a more staid group than those that make up the federal judiciary. (One does not get ahead by espousing radical ideas, one way or the other, about the law: witness the failed confirmation of the appointment of Judge Robert Bork to the Supreme Court.)

Given the role of the Supreme Court (and lower federal courts) in the system of checks and balances provided in the Constitution, an independent judiciary is essential, for it acts as a curb against the encroachment of government on individual rights and liberty. Under the constitutional provision for separation of powers, federal judges are not supposed to be subject to political influence in fulfilling the court's role. A federal judge, who serves with life tenure on good behavior, can wield great power; which is why it is important to appoint "qualified" persons and not just political ideologues to the federal bench. That is why federal judges are appointed by the President subject to confirmation by the Senate and not elected.

Our courts are the great levelers, for all men stand equal before the law. But while we are a nation of laws and not men, it is men who administer the laws and mete out justice. Most state judges are elected officials, and others appointed by executive authority; and there are few whose judgments are not influenced by politics, whether it be associated with getting reelected or avoiding impeachment from office. To make federal judges accountable in this way would turn the judiciary into courts of popular appeal, which is not what the framers of the Constitution had in mind.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:25 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,458,803 times

Old 07-23-2012, 09:32 AM

390 posts, read 265,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
Lol nice troll but no one could accept the idea that you are serious with this post. SCOTUS abandoned the constitution long ago , but if you think jackasses like Ginsberg do not take part in judicial activism you are either extremely naive or extremely brain damaged. I'll let you decide.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:39 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,532,927 times
How has a "conservative" President nominating a "conservative" Chief Justice work out for the right in the past? Remember the "Obamacare" ruling?

Old 07-23-2012, 09:43 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,075,141 times
Quote:

In general, conservative justices are not going to retire with a Democrat president, and liberal justices won't retire with a Republican president. There's generally a lot of pressure to replace Supreme Court justices with somebody similar, so I doubt whether they'll be much of a change.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:11 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,084,087 times
While I am a conservative, I would much rather see a Supreme Court made up on a-political people that do not lean one way or the other. I would rather the court make decisions based on the Constitution and the actual merits of the case, rather than leaning left or right.

However, this is not an option and whoever is President is going to appoint someone who follows their lead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies