Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 02:25 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times

Advertisements

In the utopia some hope for the stabbing and most likely killing would go on until the guys in the uniforms make their way there. Or we could always ban knives in utopia.
A citizen with a gun stopped a knife wielding man as he began stabbing people Thursday evening at the downtown Salt Lake City Smith’s store.
Police say the suspect purchased a knife inside the store and then turned it into a weapon. Smith’s employee Dorothy Espinoza says, “He pulled it out and stood outside the Smiths in the foyer. And just started stabbing people and yelling you killed my people. You killed my people.”
Espinoza says, the knife wielding man seriously injured two people. “There is blood all over. One got stabbed in the stomach and got stabbed in the head and held his hands and got stabbed all over the arms.”
Then, before the suspect could find another victim – a citizen with a gun stopped the madness. “A guy pulled gun on him and told him to drop his weapon or he would shoot him. So, he dropped his weapon and the people from Smith’s grabbed him.”
By the time officers arrived the suspect had been subdued by employees and shoppers.

Gun carrying man ends stabbing spree at Salt Lake grocery store - ABC4.com - Salt Lake City, Utah News

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 02:27 PM

2,548 posts, read 2,163,981 times
So is it better to do nothing and wait until the police show up???

I'm sure deep down inside Zimmerman or at least his family wish he would have done that.

Old 07-30-2012, 02:41 PM

667 posts, read 516,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugality View Post
So is it better to do nothing and wait until the police show up???

I'm sure deep down inside Zimmerman or at least his family wish he would have done that.
I will try to help you here. I think you are attempting to make a point related to the outcomes of using a weapon.

Carrying a weapon is not to be taken lightly. To the contrary, it is a huge responsibility. I don't think anyone should feel "good" about taking the life of another. The "good" feeling should come from protecting your life or those of others.

In a situation of life and death, the criminals or yours (or others), which life would you rather be taken?

Old 07-30-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNEC_Dad View Post
I will try to help you here. I think you are attempting to make a point related to the outcomes of using a weapon.

Carrying a weapon is not to be taken lightly. To the contrary, it is a huge responsibility. I don't think anyone should feel "good" about taking the life of another. The "good" feeling should come from protecting your life or those of others.

In a situation of life and death, the criminals or yours (or others), which life would you rather be taken?
Your'e reading to much into a very simple comment. Tis you who needs the help. I'm almost positive that Zimmerman or his family wish Zimmerman would have waited for the police to show up before confronting Trayvon. Do you dispute this? Do you really think that at this point Zimmerman or his father are glad that he did not wait in his car for the police to arrive??

Old 07-30-2012, 02:46 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,649,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
In the utopia some hope for the stabbing and most likely killing would go on until the guys in the uniforms make their way there. Or we could always ban knives in utopia.
A citizen with a gun stopped a knife wielding man as he began stabbing people Thursday evening at the downtown Salt Lake City Smith’s store.
Police say the suspect purchased a knife inside the store and then turned it into a weapon. Smith’s employee Dorothy Espinoza says, “He pulled it out and stood outside the Smiths in the foyer. And just started stabbing people and yelling you killed my people. You killed my people.”
Espinoza says, the knife wielding man seriously injured two people. “There is blood all over. One got stabbed in the stomach and got stabbed in the head and held his hands and got stabbed all over the arms.”
Then, before the suspect could find another victim – a citizen with a gun stopped the madness. “A guy pulled gun on him and told him to drop his weapon or he would shoot him. So, he dropped his weapon and the people from Smith’s grabbed him.”
By the time officers arrived the suspect had been subdued by employees and shoppers.

Gun carrying man ends stabbing spree at Salt Lake grocery store - ABC4.com - Salt Lake City, Utah News

Who in their right mind would 'do nothing' if they had a chance to stop that person?

I did take notice, however, that the person with the gun did not just shoot first; he gave a warning. Smart thing to do.

What's your point, anyway?

Old 07-30-2012, 02:49 PM

667 posts, read 516,329 times
Quote:
Your'e reading to much into a very simple comment. Tis you who needs the help. I'm almost positive that Zimmerman or his family wish Zimmerman would have waited for the police to show up before confronting Trayvon. Do you dispute this? Do you really think that at this point Zimmerman or his father are glad that he did not wait in his car for the police to arrive??
This is not a Zimmerman thread so your post may be in the wrong place if you wanted viewed independent of the OP's question.

Back to the topic, as I posted, carrying a weapon is a huge responsibility and all life should be valued. However, when it comes to life and death, whose life is better to be taken?

Old 07-30-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNEC_Dad View Post
This is not a Zimmerman thread so your post may be in the wrong place if you wanted viewed independent of the OP's question.

Back to the topic, as I posted, carrying a weapon is a huge responsibility and all life should be valued. However, when it comes to life and death, whose life is better to be taken?
Do you dispute that the OP's question can't be applied to the Zimmerman case???

Old 07-30-2012, 02:52 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,052,389 times
I think the best course of action is to defend oneself, or someone else, with whatever means are available to you at the time. If that's a gun, OK.

My problem isn't with the types of firearms that one would typically use for legitimate personal defense. The issue for me is the availability of weapons which are specifically designed to kill a very large number of people in a very short burst of time.

Old 07-30-2012, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Who in their right mind would 'do nothing' if they had a chance to stop that person?

I did take notice, however, that the person with the gun did not just shoot first; he gave a warning. Smart thing to do.

What's your point, anyway?
The point would be the cops were nowhere to be found when the stabbings started. I guess that flew right over your head?

Old 07-30-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Do you dispute that the OP's question can't be applied to the Zimmerman case???
Take your zimmerman nonsense to the zimmerman thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies