Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 11:56 PM

5,466 posts, read 4,423,692 times

Advertisements

There is news that GM is in crises mode. 93% of General Motors' 2012 profits were based on subprime loans. GM auto increased loans to customers with FICO scores below 660 rose from 87% to 93%. This is risky lending practices again. Exactly what happened with the housing crash, now GM is taking a failed approach to increase sales. Stock prices are $19.70. For the taxpayers to get their money back the stock price would have to sell for around $50 - $54

It's a recovery goosed by government fiat under the static condition of a bad (jobless) economy. The GM subprime auto loans puts a damper on President Obama's claims to have rescued the automaker and restored it to financial health.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 11:58 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,587,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post
There is news that GM is in crises mode. 93% of General Motors' 2012 profits were based on subprime loans. GM auto increased loans to customers with FICO scores below 660 rose from 87% to 93%. This is risky lending practices again. Exactly what happened with the housing crash, now GM is taking a failed approach to increase sales. Stock prices are $19.70. For the taxpayers to get their money back the stock price would have to sell for around $50 - $54

It's a recovery goosed by government fiat under the static condition of a bad (jobless) economy. The GM subprime auto loans puts a damper on President Obama's claims to have rescued the automaker and restored it to financial health.
While I agree that GM's profits and "return as the largest auto manufacturer in the world" is mostly smoke and mirrors, I hardly consider lending to a consumer with a <660 score to be some sort of high-risk maneuver. The *average* score in the US isn't even 660 (some places claim it's in the 670's, but FICO modeling indicates that the average is actually about 630).

What I would be interested in is how many of the loans were issued to people with scores below 600. I doubt GM is in "crisis mode", as Ally Bank (GM's financial arm, for all intents and purposes) has passed every stress test. But from an investor's perspective, GM is clearly not as well run as F in the domestic space.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:33 AM

78,431 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:

As someone that follows lending standards in the auto industry....that's an industry-wide phenomenon as banks have loosened lending standards.

It would also be good if you provided a link to your source.

Lastly, if you want to make a solid point you should show what the industry is doing or one of their competitors etc.

The stock price is no doubt a problem but your "risky lending practice" schtick is garbage and comparing home loans to auto loans is even worse.

Now if they were pushing cheap leases hard then that would be scarier.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post

What I would be interested in is how many of the loans were issued to people with scores below 600.
The answer to your question is in red.

The worse the FICO score, the bigger the increase. From Q4 2010 to Q1 2012,

GM Financial loans to customers with the worst FICO scores.

Fico score below 540 shot up 79%.
The second worst category, 540-599, rose 28%

I myself prefer to know how our investment is going. Numbers tell a story without a swing to the right or left. What can I say. If you don't understand what this means I could care less. I am just reporting how "our" investment is doing.

Links to articles talking about this below
gm subprime lending - Google Search

Old 08-01-2012, 11:38 AM

FYI

Quote:
Several factors contributed to the quick recovery of auto lending. Both banks and auto lenders can reap large profits on new loans, since interest rates near zero have kept the cost of their funds extremely low
Quote:
In addition, auto lenders, unlike home lenders, have long issued loans expecting that the vehicle will start to lose value as soon as it is driven off the lot. That helped them avoid the costly mistakes of mortgage lenders, who underwrote loans during the boom on the belief that prices would keep going up. In fact, auto loans fared better than almost any other loan category during the crisis.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/28/bu...pagewanted=all

Quote:
New-vehicle buyers received an average annual percentage rate of 5.23 percent from Ford in September, from 5.07 percent in August, according to Edmunds.com. The rate among GM buyers rose to 5.25 percent from 5.23 percent, the Santa Monica, California-based firm said.
Ford, Dealers Say Credit Access Helping Recovery in Auto Sales - Bloomberg

As a fellow stockholder\taxpayer in GM....I'm glad to see that they are issuing more sub-prime loans and are thus able to make larger profits....which will help *our* stock price.

The graph is the first link (left column) shows the history which is also enlightening.

If you work in the industry this is hardly new or scary news.

P.S. You seriously think that it was the loans made by the manufacturers that got them in big trouble? When the economy collapsed in 2008 they couldn't sell cars....which is what got them in trouble. It was the home loans that crashed GM etc.

Old 08-01-2012, 11:40 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:

You forgot to tell us what the crises is? When I took a loan to buy a car, I didn't borrow the money from the car manufacturer, but from a bank.

Old 08-01-2012, 11:42 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You forgot to tell us what the crises is?
You beat me to it. That's what i'm waiting for.

Old 08-01-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You forgot to tell us what the crises is?
I think it's an education crisis.

Old 08-01-2012, 11:54 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
There does appear to be some sort of turmoil at GM

Mayhem at GM | The Daily Caller

Appears to be more about boardroom politics than FICO scores though.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:01 PM

lol, hey I don't care either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies