Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 10:57 AM

27,119 posts, read 15,300,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayita View Post
do not hire people that does not speak english

If you are not the one hiring, you can always refuse to work with them

Already done that once due soley to the communiction problem.
There were other reason also and this is the last one I gave when the VP was trying to retain me with offers and pleading.
Although very carefully explained it was not taken well due to the person I gave my resignation to being the one that also hired them.
It was difficult to run a job when those under you could not take direction properly because they didn't understand the language.
That there are some that don't isn't so bad as others can interpret but when it is many it can be disaterous.

Thing is now about all contractors have this going on there........if I want to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
There is another thing about those contractors who cannot speak a word of English -- most are here illegally and most do not follow the laws nor do they comply with any safety standards, carry insurance, etc. Without insurance to cover their work, they have no intention of being held responsible for the quality and safety of that work.

They should be shut down and deported whenever possible after being made to pay back taxes.

I-Team Investigation: State cracking down on unlicensed contractors | News - Home

The Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation is cracking down on unlicensed contractors with customer complaints or who don't display a license number.

“Como?” he responded before being asked again about not being a licensed contractor. “Yeah, I just do this independent.”

Even though he is violating the law by not being licensed and not having insurance for the job, he maintained he is honest and upfront with customers.

“But what happens if the house burns down because of faulty electrical work?” ABC-7 asked the man.

“Pues, that's going to be on me then. That's going to be on the contract, like I signed,” he responded.

“But you don't have insurance to cover that. So how would you cover that?” ABC-7 asked him.

“Well that's what I'm saying,” he responded. “You all are coming to me with these questions and I've already told you all that I've already explained to her (the undercover investigator).”

These are legitimate contractors that I refer to and the workers do have the State Apprentice License.
Anyone can get those.
Contractors are also properly licensed and insured.
It got to be the norm over the past 12 years or so.

I do hear of guys with 6 month experience trying to take on side work (illegally) that is way beyond their knowledge and experience though.

Scary to hear that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 11:41 AM

4,373 posts, read 3,227,364 times
I have no idea why a lot of people are so up in arms about other American citizens not speaking English.

News flash - our national language is NOT English! We don't even HAVE a national language.

Some people will just whine about anything, good grief.

Old 08-11-2012, 11:47 AM

1,119 posts, read 1,370,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Already done that once due soley to the communiction problem.
There were other reason also and this is the last one I gave when the VP was trying to retain me with offers and pleading.
Although very carefully explained it was not taken well due to the person I gave my resignation to being the one that also hired them.
It was difficult to run a job when those under you could not take direction properly because they didn't understand the language.
That there are some that don't isn't so bad as others can interpret but when it is many it can be disaterous.

Thing is now about all contractors have this going on there........if I want to work.

These are legitimate contractors that I refer to and the workers do have the State Apprentice License.
Anyone can get those.
Contractors are also properly licensed and insured.
It got to be the norm over the past 12 years or so.

I do hear of guys with 6 month experience trying to take on side work (illegally) that is way beyond their knowledge and experience though.

Scary to hear that.

then refuse to work with them and hire americans that speak english. The unemployment rate being as it is you should not have a problem

Old 08-11-2012, 02:31 PM

27,119 posts, read 15,300,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
I have no idea why a lot of people are so up in arms about other American citizens not speaking English.

News flash - our national language is NOT English! We don't even HAVE a national language.

If you live in this country and expect to work here you ought to speak the language that's on the money & the people that have lived here all of their lives speak.

New Flash!, although we don't have an "official" language English is the language of this country....or haven't you noticed?

Old 08-11-2012, 05:44 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,227,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
If you live in this country and expect to work here you ought to speak the language that's on the money & the people that have lived here all of their lives speak.

New Flash!, although we don't have an "official" language English is the language of this country....or haven't you noticed?
News Flash! We don't have an official language so who are you to say what language people MUST speak in order to live and work here?

Hey guess what? There are more countries who speak a language that ISN'T English and live here than those who SPEAK English and live elsewhere. Not to mention that there are oh...I dunno...communities centered around other languages? Or did you miss that part where America is the melting pot of the world?

I'll restate that - America is the melting pot of the world...NOT the English speaking melting pot of the world.

If you want to get technical about it - we speak American, not English. English is England's official language...or did you fail to notice that as well?

Old 08-11-2012, 05:47 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
It's not only language, it's the cultural differences coming in as well. The "Protestant work ethic" as it has been called, is not present in all cultures.
Well it isn't the non-English speakers that are lacking in the "Protestant work ethic" as most agricultural employer and small manufacturers are more than happy to point out.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:57 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,926,044 times
Quote:
News Flash! We don't have an official language so who are you to say what language people MUST speak in order to live and work here?

Hey guess what? There are more countries who speak a language that ISN'T English and live here than those who SPEAK English and live elsewhere. Not to mention that there are oh...I dunno...communities centered around other languages? Or did you miss that part where America is the melting pot of the world?

I'll restate that - America is the melting pot of the world...NOT the English speaking melting pot of the world.

If you want to get technical about it - we speak American, not English. English is England's official language...or did you fail to notice that as well?
The U.S. is not a melting pot for christ's sake. People throw that term around, despite it being patently false. It's a salad bowl. It's comprised of groups segregating themselves by culture, or language, or race. This leads to division. And what's the most basic thread that ties all communities together? That fosters relationships, both personal and business? The ability to communicate. The lack of a common language leads only to a more fractured American society. English is the de facto language of this country. It should be made the official language, or we all will reap the consequences of an ever more deeply fractured nation. How can that possibly be good for any of us?

Old 08-11-2012, 05:59 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:

Not all of them are actually citizens.

Old 08-11-2012, 06:02 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
The U.S. is not a melting pot for christ's sake. People throw that term around, despite it being patently false. It's a salad bowl. It's comprised of groups segregating themselves by culture, or language, or race. This leads to division. And what's the most basic thread that ties all communities together? That fosters relationships, both personal and business? The ability to communicate. The lack of a common language leads only to a more fractured American society. English is the de facto language of this country. It should be made the official language, or we all will reap the consequences of an ever more deeply fractured nation. How can that possibly be good for any of us?
You're right that it will lead to a more divided nation. Just look at that poor American athlete that won the silver medal. He said he represented the US and Mexico. That is what this division is causing.
This is what NWO is all about.

Old 08-11-2012, 06:02 PM

14,668 posts, read 14,631,326 times
Our prosperity is being impacted twofold: outsourcing, and a lack of math and science skills. The reason so many Asian kids in this country (for example) prosper is because of their cultural focus on math and science, which not coincidentally do not require great English skills to master.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies