Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 05:03 PM

63,007 posts, read 29,203,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthIsland View Post
What? Unless you're a Native American you are an immigrant as well. You've may just have been here longer. So does that change your answer? Or are you going to say if you're second generation, 3rd, 10th makes you American? As I recall if you are naturalized you are considered an American citizen. There is no immigrant American status.
If you were born or naturalized here you are a citizen of this country, not an immigrant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 05:08 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,557,218 times
It will in about 10 years when the current crop of kids in school hit the streets/colleges.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:29 AM

1,725 posts, read 2,069,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Did you actually read the link you provided? It was not about Americans not taking available jobs. It had nothing to do with the subject, lol. It didn't prove your so-called "common knowledge" at all.
Quote:
There’s no shortage of people he could give those jobs to. In Alabama, some 211,000 people are out of work. In rural Perry County, where Harvest Select is located, the unemployment rate is 18.2 percent, twice the national average.

Yet native Alabamians have not come running to fill these newly liberated positions.
And lots, and lots, and lots of the same...

Quote:
Yes, the raids aren't common enough but they should be. However, everytime they occured Americans lined up for those vacated jobs.
Then American media is lying totally on this subject.

Quote:
In case you don't know it adult Americans cannot remain on welfare for very long. They can only access it for their kids.
And that's how many of them live, right? Same in Russia, BTW.

Quote:
"Do they die"? WTH does that mean?
If they don't have jobs, stop getting welfare, then... they have to die, from starvation. But they don't, because welfare, in one form or another, is their's for taking.

Old 08-03-2012, 02:13 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,460,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
That's what happens when you have a certain segment of the US population telling those people they don't have to assimilate, that we will bend over and backwards for them... And if we don't, we are ignorant and racist.. And they also claim Americans need to learn a second language... When many the ones who immigrate here speak one language only and are not willing to learn English. .. But they are not ignorant are they? They are just expressing themselves....
You know what, you made some very valid points and true. We do have a segment of the population, telling illegals that they do not have to assimilate. And we do bend over backwards for these people, who broke the laws to get here. Something wrong with this picture.

Your right for those of us who have our own opinion, and don't bend over for them, or hate everything that they stand for, then we are the bad guys, we are the racist, and that is just so wrong.

I do know of some hispanics who have lived in this Country for over twenty yrs. and only one of the spouses speaks english. The children do who were born here, but only one parent.

I do know of some, who have lived here for such a long time, and do not speak english, only spanish, and i am sorry, but that does cause problems with communicating. And no freaking way, should any American learn spanish, just to apease these people. If you wish too, that is a differenty story. When we give in, we make things too easy on them, who makes things easy on us!

Old 08-03-2012, 02:14 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,350,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by russiaonline View Post
H-1B - that's legal immigration without naturalization.
Oh, yeah. The good old H-1.

A. I'm guessing you'd do pretty much anything for one of those babies.

B. Or do you already have one, and you're just biting the hand that feeds you?

If A, you're bitter cause you can't get in.

If B, you're just ungrateful.

Either way, we're on an American website speaking English and saying anything we want. No America, no conversation. Ever think about that?

Probably not.

Old 08-03-2012, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
A. I'm guessing you'd do pretty much anything for one of those babies.

B. Or do you already have one, and you're just biting the hand that feeds you?
You need to see a doctor, if you really believe that all people dream about living in America.

With the cost of Russian graduate degrees, it's not hard at all to get that visa. But it's quiet in and around American consulate at Pushkinskaya street.

Quote:
Either way, we're on an American website speaking English and saying anything we want. No America, no conversation. Ever think about that?
Said the hater for comment, concerning only one country - America...

This is not your forum, and it's not even strictly about America.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:02 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,328,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by russiaonline View Post
You need to see a doctor, if you really believe that all people dream about living in America.

With the cost of Russian graduate degrees, it's not hard at all to get that visa. But it's quiet in and around American consulate at Pushkinskaya street.

Said the hater for comment, concerning only one country - America...

This is not your forum, and it's not even strictly about America.
Apparently you haven't read the "Terms of Service" for this forum. Here is one of them.

"English is the only language to be used this board, use translation software if needed".

Old 08-03-2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Apparently you haven't read the "Terms of Service" for this forum. Here is one of them.

"English is the only language to be used this board, use translation software if needed".
Fine, I'll be using English... oops, that's exactly the language I'm using here

Old 08-05-2012, 11:37 PM

409 posts, read 958,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
You know what, you made some very valid points and true. We do have a segment of the population, telling illegals that they do not have to assimilate. And we do bend over backwards for these people, who broke the laws to get here. Something wrong with this picture.

Your right for those of us who have our own opinion, and don't bend over for them, or hate everything that they stand for, then we are the bad guys, we are the racist, and that is just so wrong.

I do know of some hispanics who have lived in this Country for over twenty yrs. and only one of the spouses speaks english. The children do who were born here, but only one parent.

I do know of some, who have lived here for such a long time, and do not speak english, only spanish, and i am sorry, but that does cause problems with communicating. And no freaking way, should any American learn spanish, just to apease these people. If you wish too, that is a differenty story. When we give in, we make things too easy on them, who makes things easy on us!
What I find of interest is how history repeats itself.

How so? Many posters are of the same opinion that Hispanics or <fill in the blank current immigrant group> are not assimilating or assimilating too slowly as evident by the lack of English skills.

Putting aside the question of those who are here illegally or legally since it appears some don't necessarily distinguish between the two when it comes to Hispanics...

Lets do some research that is easily available on the internet.

1) Which immigrant group from the past had over 700 < guess the immigrant group> language newspapers at the start of WWI?

2) When did immigration for this immigrant group peak? <1820,1870, 1914>

Ready to guess?

Polish?

French?

Italian?

German?

Irish?

See below for the answer:

10 Myths About Immigration | Teaching Tolerance

Here's another source independent of the first (for those that dislike the Teaching Tolerance website):

http://www.uta.fi/FAST/US1/REF/germ-ww1.ht

Whats the point? Think of it...although immigration from that country had peaked decades earlier there were still more than 700 newspapers in that language published at the beginning of 1914. Notice this group held on closely to its national identity. However, eventually they assimilated.

And, as noted by the above post the US born children of Hispanics do speak English.

Therefore, I wouldn't worry so much...there is a reason America is referred to as a "graveyard of languages." Eventually the cultural differences die out as well

The general population of that time also were uneasy about many of the immigrant groups of that era.

As the Borg were fond of saying, "Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated." (sorry for those who aren't Star Trek fans...if I have to explain you wouldn't understand).

Old 08-05-2012, 11:43 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,490,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobless and Broke View Post
So... do you feel that the large number of people in America who don't speak English well is a major player in our economic competitiveness?
No, money is a universal language. Language barriers do not keep business from being done when it needs to be.

I'm not sure how you can get from the statistic that many more people speak English as a second language to the claim that they speak it poorly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies