Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 12:45 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,546,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Allen 242 View Post
81% of home invasions are carried out by one person.
11% of home invasions are carried out by two to three people.

The other 8% that are carried out by more than 3 people, as the OP detailed, are going to be tactically proficient. It's not going to be like they're all lined up like a duckshoot.

The OP's premise is implausible and, btw, if you were the homeowner and took the shot you'd spend quite a bit of time standing over the graves of your loved ones. It's an exaggeration and a stupid one at that. You'd have to be an absolute, resolute, asshat to think that engaging at that juncture would be wise. Your concept of real-world success would have to be so skewed by movies and television as to completely obviate reality.

It's not that those that prioritize families and protection are crazy, it's that it's unrealistic...and by entertaining the premise of the OP one does a disservice to very concept of rational protectionism.
...and Californians should forgo earthquake insurance because it is implausible that an earthquake will destroy any particular home...right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 12:46 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,546,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
The fact that you used "cracked out" just shows how silly and unknowledgeable you are.

The last person you'd want to be robbed by is someone that's cracked out. And you surely don't want to run up on a "nervous" crackhead.

SMH...whatever man. Be safe.
Thus more the reason to have a weapon with which to protect your family.

What is so hard to figure out?

Old 08-01-2012, 12:49 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt800 View Post
I don't want your $2.59.

But.......Would you bet your LIFE on that?

Come and break into MY house and find out for yourself.
LMAO...who are you gonna shoot?

You're just another person that would end up getting pistol whipped with his own gun. You're not built like you think you are. Turn off the Eastwood movies and take a better look at your surroundings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt800 View Post
NOT having a gun handy however DOES guarantee that you are completely at the criminal's mercy.
Trying to find where i said that you shouldn't have a gun. Can't find it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
So because all home invaders are just so incredibly skilled killing machines who have unbelievably high "criminal IQs" that it is pointless to try to protect your family from them doesn't it make more sense to just have even more firepower since you are going up against such a dramatically superior foe?

That sounds like a scenario for MORE guns not LESS.
Ok..then buy more guns. (shrugs shoulders)

I'm not here to convince you otherwise. I'm just telling you the risks and playing this gung-ho, shoot'em up nonsense as if you're Schwartzenegger or something. You're not a street guy, and it's obvious that you have no street sense. You'll just end up like jt800...on your ass looking up at the ceiling. SMH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Allen 242 View Post
81% of home invasions are carried out by one person.
11% of home invasions are carried out by two to three people.

The other 8% that are carried out by more than 3 people, as the OP detailed, are going to be tactically proficient. It's not going to be like they're all lined up like a duckshoot.

The OP's premise is implausible and, btw, if you were the homeowner and took the shot you'd spend quite a bit of time standing over the graves of your loved ones. It's an exaggeration and a stupid one at that. You'd have to be an absolute, resolute, asshat to think that engaging at that juncture would be wise. Your concept of real-world success would have to be so skewed by movies and television as to completely obviate reality.

It's not that those that prioritize families and protection are crazy, it's that it's unrealistic...and by entertaining the premise of the OP one does a disservice to very concept of rational protectionism.
Blame Hollywood. LOL..

Old 08-01-2012, 12:51 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
...and Californians should forgo earthquake insurance because it is implausible that an earthquake will destroy any particular home...right?
That makes no sense.

Quote:
Thus more the reason to have a weapon with which to protect your family.

What is so hard to figure out?
For the millionth time, i never said that you shouldn't have a gun.

I'm just letting you know that you're not the guy you think you are.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:58 PM

640 posts, read 717,786 times
Quote:
No, not at all. Civilians should be armed and well-armed. At the point that 6 bogeys are invading your home and there are multiple children (friendlies) about and you decide to engage...well, you're a small-johnsoned, terminally dellusional dickweed.

My point, was and is, that the OP's premise is flawed, based on fear mongering, and dangerous and that anyone who would use such an addleminded argument in support of the 2nd Amendment will get the negative results they deserve.

Old 08-01-2012, 01:00 PM

5,787 posts, read 4,716,747 times
Quote:
LMAO...who are you gonna shoot?

You're just another person that would end up getting pistol whipped with his own gun. You're not built like you think you are. Turn off the Eastwood movies and take a better look at your surroundings.
Yeah......sure. I served with the 1st Marines in Vietnam and you don't think I know how to shoot PEOPLE?

Try MY house as I said if you're willing to risk your LIFE.

Quote:
Trying to find where i said that you shouldn't have a gun. Can't find it.

Of course you can't find it because what I was replying to had nothing to do with that.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter
And having a gun handy is no guarantee of anything.
Quote:
NOT having a gun handy however DOES guarantee that you are completely at the criminal's mercy.

Quote:
You'll just end up like jt800...on your ass looking up at the ceiling.

You're welcome to TRY if you dare! Somehow I think it's YOU who is "projecting" your OWN inability to confront an armed criminal onto others. Personally, I'd take pleasure in taking out some perp that broke into my home.

Old 08-01-2012, 01:02 PM

5,787 posts, read 4,716,747 times
Quote:

I'm just letting you know that you're not the guy you think you are.

You DON'T KNOW who they are or what their background is!!!!

Old 08-01-2012, 01:02 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,114,106 times
Quote:
I don't know how your home is laid out but, around here, most people have upstairs bedrooms or bedrooms in the back.

So unless the murderers descend through the ceiling like Navy SEALs all stealthy and such, most family protectors will have some time to lock and load. The only scenario I can imagine not having enough time to reach for and prep my weapon is if the kids are sleeping in the foyer and the murderers know the quickest way to get to them.

Not a likely scenario.
People will not "burst" into your home when you are asleep, I was responding to the home invasion scenario. Again, unless you hear them in advance, having a gun "in the home" won't matter.

Most of these attacks are ambush.

Old 08-01-2012, 01:05 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,114,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
home invasion stats

[LEFT]"Home Invasion Facts:
  • According to a United States Department of Justice report:
    • 38% of assaults & 60% of rapes occur during home invasions.
    • 1 of every 5 homes will experience a break-in or home invasion. That's over 2,000,000 homes!
  • According to Statistics Canada, there has been an average of 289,200 home invasions annually over the last 5 years.
  • Statistically, there are over 8,000 home invasions per day in North America
  • According to Statistics U.S.A., there was an average of 3,600,000 home invasions annually between 1994 and 2000."
[/LEFT]

And, do you know exactly what a home invasion is? It's not done by stealth, and it's not done while the family is asleep. Home invasion differs from burglary because it has a violent intent like aggravated robbery. It's usually done by more that one perpetrator, it's violent, the perps forcing their way into the home while the occupants are home, usually through the front door. It involves the use of weapons and physical intimidation; property theft; and victims who are unknown to the perpetrators.

Don't confuse this with B&E, or burglary.

And, unless you carry your weapon at your side, safety off, and have the reflexes of a cat, the gun won't do you a hell of a lot of good. By the time you reach for it, one of the perps has already put a couple of rounds into you. Having a gun in no way guarantees safety, folks. Even trained police officers sometimes hesitate before firing their guns.

Last edited by carterstamp; 08-01-2012 at 01:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Old 08-01-2012, 01:05 PM

640 posts, read 717,786 times
Quote:
Blame Hollywood. LOL..
That's offensive and the biggest part of the problem When reasonable people want to defend themselves characters like you join in the conversation , create implausible scenarios, and argue things that make the rest of us look like dingbats (like you)...
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies