Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 10:12 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,453,101 times

Advertisements

Very Interesting........

Cajun Pawn Stars': Bill Clinton Letter Speaking Out Against Vietnam War Draft (VIDEO)

The seller had a letter he claimed was written by a college-aged Bill Clinton. The letter spoke out against the draft implemented during the Vietnam War.

Clinton took some heat during the 1992 election regarding the Vietnam War. Some claimed that he was a draft dodger.

The letter was authenticated...

He didn't feel that a person should be required to go to war and fight against his beliefs.
Quote from letter:
Now I'm back in the pool with a high number but still a good chance of being called

etc.

Cajun Pawn Stars — Full Episodes — History.com Videos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 10:19 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,085,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
He didn't feel that a person should be required to go to war and fight against his beliefs.
An honorable and traditional American position that goes all the way back to the founding of the Province of Pennsylvania in 1682, and several colonies had conscientious objector exemptions during the Revolutionary War.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn
Quote from letter:
Now I'm back in the pool with a high number but still a good chance of being called
You're going to have to come up with something more objectionable than that before you will turn this thread from a total snoozer to something worthy of even the classic fake right-wing outrage.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:25 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Is this news to anyone?

Old 08-02-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Is this news to anyone?
Yes it is because it was objected as being a falsehood by the uninformed mask wearing liberals

snopes.com: Bill Clinton Draft Dodger?

Old 08-02-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
An honorable and traditional American position that goes all the way back to the founding of the Province of Pennsylvania in 1682, and several colonies had conscientious objector exemptions during the Revolutionary War.

You're going to have to come up with something more objectionable than that before you will turn this thread from a total snoozer to something worthy of even the classic fake right-wing outrage.

Fake outrage while the liberals are attacking Romney I guess it is not a problem because he is a democrat eh!
This is significant because Ole Bill wrote and signed this letter in the 70's

Old 08-02-2012, 11:23 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,016,074 times
I must admit, I was strongly against the draft as I approached age 18 in 1973.

Now, as I start to approach sixty, I find myself thinking a draft may be a good thing.

Strange how time changes ones perspective.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:24 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,941,585 times
Quote:

Fake outrage while the liberals are attacking Romney I guess it is not a problem because he is a democrat eh!
This is significant because Ole Bill wrote and signed this letter in the 70's
No this is huge. As a matter of fact maybe we could get an asterisk next to his name in the history books. That or have those years completely removed like JoePa!

I am pretty sure you did something in college that you wouldn't do today. Did he dodge the draft or write against it?

Old 08-02-2012, 11:31 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Yes it is because it was objected as being a falsehood by the uninformed mask wearing liberals

snopes.com: Bill Clinton Draft Dodger?
You need to read the article a little more closely. Clinton did nothing illegal. The story addresses the issue of whether Clinton was a pardoned felon.

Even though I can't copy from this article, I will type a "snippet".

" That Bill Clinton went to great lengths to avoid the Vietman-era draft, that he used political connections to obtain special favors, and that he made promises and committments he failed to honor, are all beyond dispute. However, the timeline quoted above jumps the tracks when it labels Clinton a "felon" because none of his actions, no matter how unethical or morally reprehensible, were illegal. . . . Although what he did may not have been against the law, Clinton's broken promises and contradictory statements about his efforts to avoid the draft were prime examples of the kind of self-serving doublespeak that later earned him the sobriquet "Slick Willie". "

So Snopes acknowledged that what he did was sketchy.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 08-02-2012 at 11:35 AM.. Reason: add emphasis

Old 08-02-2012, 11:33 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,318,915 times
Quote:
Very Interesting........

Cajun Pawn Stars': Bill Clinton Letter Speaking Out Against Vietnam War Draft (VIDEO)

The seller had a letter he claimed was written by a college-aged Bill Clinton. The letter spoke out against the draft implemented during the Vietnam War.

Clinton took some heat during the 1992 election regarding the Vietnam War. Some claimed that he was a draft dodger.

The letter was authenticated...

Quote from letter:

etc.

Cajun Pawn Stars — Full Episodes — History.com Videos
This is probably old news. Would this be the letter where he stated that he "loathed the military?" I thought everyone knew that Clinton was a draft dodger? It really isn't a secret.

Old 08-02-2012, 01:43 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,285,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post

Dude, I don't think you listened to as much of the video as I did and I didn't get to the part where the man who knows more about Clinton and the probability that this letter was high or low. Maybe you should do a bit more listening to what went on before you attack the messenger, Miborn. Possibly you need to allow a few more people read in it before you try to kill the thread because you didn't do your due diligence and watch a bit more of the link then you did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies