Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 07:08 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,836,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
This is what some consider the compassionate Christian way.
I wouldn't call it "compassionate Christian." I just call it marriage (and divorce, let's keep it real) equality.

I also believe that each state has the right to determine the constitutionality and legality of same sex marriages. It doesn't offend me that Mississippi has a constitutional amendment banning SSM and that New York has legalized it...and other "*******" states like Iowa, Vermont, Washington and Massachusetts.

I don't agree with California's Prop 8, but I also think since this state is essentially a pure democracy that the people spoke in 2008, so I don't agree with any halting or overturning of the proposition. The morally correct procedure as it affects the integrity of the California democracy and judiciary is to give it back to the people to vote on it. You know why Prop 8 was such a success in '08? The black and Hispanic populations were incredibly mobilized by being able to vote for the first African-American president, yet they tend to be socially conservative. During any other election cycle, I betcha you Prop 8 would have been defeated, if even narrowly. Even if the U.S. Supreme Court rules against the Ninth Circuit Court of San Francisco, I betcha We the People can garner enough support to get this issue back on the ballot and change things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 07:15 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,305,417 times
The state has been Democrat controlled for decades and we are the Democrat wet dream, meaning we are a failed state and are bankrupting ourselves at an ever accelerating pace.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:16 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,982,557 times
I really like California...........but it's hard to be self employed, too many on welfare, immigration the state seems to want it to keep going and not change it, property taxes and vehicle registration. If all these things were to change for the better I'd be back as soon as possible.

The policies of Feinstein, Boxer and Pelsoi are like a noose around the state.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:18 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,612,019 times
Speaking for myself, my problem is mostly with SanFran and Berkeley's anti-military mindset with some of their population and elected officials. If offered a free trip to the Bay area, I'll either decline or sell the trip.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:23 PM

37,183 posts, read 42,370,615 times
I don't know. Honestly, the only people I've know who actively vilify CA are those who've never been (but know everything they need to from watching TV) and those who moved here and couldn't find their niche or experienced culture/sticker shock so bad they couldn't overcome it. It's not uncommon when you move from one place to another, things always sound good but reality sometimes isn't. I hear on forums and whatnot of people who lived here their whole lives and couldn't take the "government", "minorities", "regulations", "taxes", "liberals", or whatever and claim to have found nirvana in some flyover state where everything is peachy keen and everyone is just like them and who am I to argue? I just know their personal paradise is full of people who want to or will relocate to CA if given the chance. That's how it is.

I've never lived anywhere else and while I'm not opposed to the idea there isn't anything I'm trying to run from or run to. Until then, CA is where I'll be.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:31 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,612,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I don't know. Honestly, the only people I've know who actively vilify CA are those who've never been (but know everything they need to from watching TV) and those who moved here and couldn't find their niche or experienced culture/sticker shock so bad they couldn't overcome it. It's not uncommon when you move from one place to another, things always sound good but reality sometimes isn't. I hear on forums and whatnot of people who lived here their whole lives and couldn't take the "government", "minorities", "regulations", "taxes", "liberals", or whatever and claim to have found nirvana in some flyover state where everything is peachy keen and everyone is just like them and who am I to argue? I just know their personal paradise is full of people who want to or will relocate to CA if given the chance. That's how it is.

I've never lived anywhere else and while I'm not opposed to the idea there isn't anything I'm trying to run from or run to. Until then, CA is where I'll be.
Section in bold is one of the things we don't like about northeast and northwest liberals. To them, everywhere in between is merely "flyover country", a term used as an insult to the rest of the country as if we don't matter at all.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:33 PM

25,021 posts, read 28,016,236 times
I don't get all this hype about California taxes. First, aren't property taxes in California lower than places like Texas, which has about an average $4000 property tax bill? Does California make a distinction between people who bought a property, say, in 2000 vs. 2010? The mill rate where I live is higher than average across much of the country it seems (everyone that moves here from the South or Midwest complains about high property taxes and expensive houses in my region of the state). A $200,000 house in my area garners about $4500 in property taxes and that's the lower end of the scale with other nearby townships pulling in about $5300, plus a 3% flat income tax plus a <1% local income tax. How much different is California outside of L.A. County and the Bay Area? Doesn't seem like much. A $54,000 job in my area would make about $62,000 or more in California, the tax burden is higher in CA but still balances out. I would pay $2000 a year in state income tax vs $4000 in California, yet I make $4000 more in CA after income tax. Most of the difference from here would be the house's value and cost of utilities and groceries (which I tie into sales tax)

Well, when you compare yourself to a no income tax state like Texas, the comparison isn't very fair. I live in the cheapest state in the Northeast, but we're still more expensive than most states. I guess that's why I find CA to be hardly any difference. Coastal CA's houses cost about as much as a middle class Philadelphia suburb

Old 08-03-2012, 07:35 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,821,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Disclaimer: I'm a rare conservative (more conservatarian) living in the Bay Area of California.
I'm conservative as well, however, not by the standards of what is calling itself conservative today. I've traveled all over the country and there are many different stripes of both liberal and conservative thought/ lifestyles. So these rigid boxes of our language aren't very truthful anymore. My origins are New England, a dirt road in NY to be specific. The Bay is beautiful. So is San D. No way in hell I'll live there because I'm unwilling to be an indentured servant to insanely priced real estate. I appreciate the warmth of the residents, but not the shallowness of personal relationships. Weirdness doesn't bother me as I attended college in NYC. A black umbrella with a pterodactyls head in a crowd is a welcome whimsy in the backdrop of sooty concrete canyons.

That said, I think the others calling themselves conservatives believe it's definition is heavy disciplinarian tradition. They loathe creativity of any kind which only seems to backlash with anarchist responses in youth.
The jewels of the arts & sciences came from all over America. Not just NY or Cali. Southern literature - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Amazon.com: Men Like That: A Southern ***** History (9780226354705): John Howard: Books
Red Grooms - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Gay_(author)
Just the tip of the iceberg.
Is Truman Capote celebrated in Alabama? No. They starve them out, run them off, and wonder why nothing grows. Frankly, all this pettiness and resentment I've heard from rural states seem motivated by vengeance and envy of their successful cousins who made it big in blue states. It's not as if they didn't try to go back home and reinvest in their roots. It's that they weren't welcome to call it home among people obsessed with zero sum games.

If the legacy of Rush Limbaugh is more significant to them than William Faulkner, there's nothing worthy of discussion. I don't recognize these people as conservative or religious.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:37 PM

37,183 posts, read 42,370,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Section in bold is one of the things we don't like about northeast and northwest liberals. To them, everywhere in between is merely "flyover country", a term used as an insult to the rest of the country as if we don't matter at all.
You matter. We all have to flyover you to get from one side of the country to the other.

It wasn't meant as an insult, I'll say "non coastal states" from now on.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:44 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,821,544 times
One more thing. Just because FOX is headquartered in NY doesn't mean NY'rs aren't holding their noses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies