Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 04:26 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,230,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
Unless it was Fox News reporting....in your heart you know I am right.
No, I don't know that you're right. You might watch fox news and are able to make that assessment, but I do not; thus I cannot judge them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2012, 04:36 PM

47,049 posts, read 26,155,828 times
An example of the strawman fallacy, actually.

Now, irretrievably beyond the realm of sarcasm, here's a Fox News anchorperson having a serious discussion about Gabrielle Douglas' lack of patriotism - for competing in a pink leotard, rather than a red, white and blue one. Yup, for Fox News, patriotism means being literally wrapped in a flag.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85w63...yer_detailpage

Last edited by Dane_in_LA; 08-05-2012 at 04:46 PM..

Old 08-05-2012, 04:49 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,165,171 times
Default Romney, a poor missionary ?

Oh dear had to use a hole in the ground once or twice as bathrooms facilities, a hose for a shower, that must have been hell.
Damn those US grunts in Nam did not know how lucky they had it, C rats, crappy drinking water all too often.

What a complete phoney, while better men than him were fighting he was in the lap of luxury.

US election 2012: Mitt Romney's life as a poor Mormon missionary in France questioned - Telegraph

Old 08-05-2012, 04:54 PM
F40

826 posts, read 859,931 times
Yep . do as I say not as I do.

Old 08-05-2012, 05:04 PM

53,061 posts, read 34,880,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
Oh dear had to use a hole in the ground once or twice as bathrooms facilities, a hose for a shower, that must have been hell.
Damn those US grunts in Nam did not know how lucky they had it, C rats, crappy drinking water all too often.

What a complete phoney, while better men than him were fighting he was in the lap of luxury.

US election 2012: Mitt Romney's life as a poor Mormon missionary in France questioned - Telegraph
How was he a 'phoney' (sic) ?

I don't see where he complained about his living conditions even once
Did I miss something?

Old 08-05-2012, 05:07 PM

4,804 posts, read 3,526,023 times
Someone is obsessed with Romney. I bet anything he does despises him/her. He is a successful businessman, through his own accord. He gave all of his inheritance away, to Brigham Young university/Mormon Church etc. Why the hate leftys? This is the American dream to be successful like him. Obama is just opposite, he is an Affirmative action failure.....

Old 08-06-2012, 04:31 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,766,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Stupid and thoughtless but not deliberately racist.
Not even that, do you really think NBC would put this ad on to deliberately compare Gabby to a monkey? I saw a beautiful young lady receive a gold medal through her tenacity and hard work and all some of you can think about is is an ad, wow! I think it goes to show they aren't racist, since they never even gave it a thought that it might be! Get It!

Old 08-06-2012, 07:22 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,866,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Wow, you really are trying to make more of this than there really is. One more time...I did not see a connection between that ad and Gabby Douglas' gold medal performance at all.

Signed,

A Black Person
Another Black Person here who didn't see anything in that ad. I actually did see the ad after she won her gold medal too. It was pretty cute IMO and didn't have anything to do with Gabby since the monkey did do a men's routine on an apparatus used by male, not femal gymnasts.

Too many of you want to complain so much about "black racism" and playing race cards. It is pretty ridiculous. I also had not heard of any "outrage" until seeing this. And my husband even saw that commercial and he is one who likes to complain about racial stereotypes on commercials especially and he didn't say anything about this except to say that the show looked stupid and that they were probably abusing animals (it was an ad for a new NBC show about vets or an animal hospital or something). The McDonald's hip hop commercials (with black people eating McDonald's and dancing to hip hop) rile him up much more than that one since he doesn't like that most poor neighborhoods, including poor black neighborhoods have a lot of McDonald's restaurants in them and that they seem to have two focuses for their commercials and always have a "black version" with hip hop dancers and how the dancers aren't fat like most people who eat at Mcdonald's every day lol! He literally critiques EVERY commercial on TV and the only thing he mentioned was that PETA should get all up in that show's a$$ since they were probably abusing animals and how there are a lot of actors/actresses - people who need jobs and that he is sick of reality shows and shows about animals on TV as if animals are more important than people. That is a day in the life of me watching TV with him and one of the reasons why I don't watch much TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Not even that, do you really think NBC would put this ad on to deliberately compare Gabby to a monkey? I saw a beautiful young lady receive a gold medal through her tenacity and hard work and all some of you can think about is is an ad, wow! I think it goes to show they aren't racist, since they never even gave it a thought that it might be! Get It!

I agree with this. And am very excited for this young lady and I hope she will continue to do great things in her life.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:28 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,353,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
An example of the strawman fallacy, actually.

Now, irretrievably beyond the realm of sarcasm, here's a Fox News anchorperson having a serious discussion about Gabrielle Douglas' lack of patriotism - for competing in a pink leotard, rather than a red, white and blue one. Yup, for Fox News, patriotism means being literally wrapped in a flag.

Fox Complains Gabby Douglas And Other American Olympians Not Showing Enough Patriotism - YouTube
I got a kick out of what was said by Webb about the 1984 Olympics and too much red, white, and blue then. Not one word about where the event was held that year. It happens, for those who don't know, that the Olympics of 1984 were in Los Angeles, California, USA.

Last edited by roysoldboy; 08-06-2012 at 09:43 AM..

Old 08-06-2012, 09:46 AM

2,953 posts, read 5,130,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Another Black Person here who didn't see anything in that ad. I actually did see the ad after she won her gold medal too. It was pretty cute IMO and didn't have anything to do with Gabby since the monkey did do a men's routine on an apparatus used by male, not femal gymnasts.

Too many of you want to complain so much about "black racism" and playing race cards. It is pretty ridiculous. I also had not heard of any "outrage" until seeing this. And my husband even saw that commercial and he is one who likes to complain about racial stereotypes on commercials especially and he didn't say anything about this except to say that the show looked stupid and that they were probably abusing animals (it was an ad for a new NBC show about vets or an animal hospital or something). The McDonald's hip hop commercials (with black people eating McDonald's and dancing to hip hop) rile him up much more than that one since he doesn't like that most poor neighborhoods, including poor black neighborhoods have a lot of McDonald's restaurants in them and that they seem to have two focuses for their commercials and always have a "black version" with hip hop dancers and how the dancers aren't fat like most people who eat at Mcdonald's every day lol! He literally critiques EVERY commercial on TV and the only thing he mentioned was that PETA should get all up in that show's a$$ since they were probably abusing animals and how there are a lot of actors/actresses - people who need jobs and that he is sick of reality shows and shows about animals on TV as if animals are more important than people. That is a day in the life of me watching TV with him and one of the reasons why I don't watch much TV.

I agree with this. And am very excited for this young lady and I hope she will continue to do great things in her life.
I know calipoppy is biracial.

residinghere are you also multiracial? that may explain why you don't see the racism
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies