Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 12:07 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,693,967 times

Advertisements

Now this doesn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy at all. If these protesters can breach a fence this easily then why are "rent a cops" still allowed to protect this facility?

Why isn't the military tasked to protect our nukes?

"Officials said the facility was shut down on Wednesday at least until next week after three activists cut through perimeter fences to reach the outer wall of a building where highly enriched uranium, a key nuclear bomb component, is stored."

U.S. nuclear bomb facility shut after security breach | Reuters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 12:17 PM

78,523 posts, read 60,718,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
Now this doesn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy at all. If these protesters can breach a fence this easily then why are "rent a cops" still allowed to protect this facility?

"Officials said the facility was shut down on Wednesday at least until next week after three activists cut through perimeter fences to reach the outer wall of a building where highly enriched uranium, a key nuclear bomb component, is stored."

So, if I go to my local bank tonight at midnight and stand in the parking lot.....I got about as close to the money in the vault as they got to the enriched uranium.

Wow, it's sounds so easy from there.

I mean, it's embarassing on some level but I have a sneaking suspicion that once you get inside the building the stuff is just sitting around on carts ready to be wheeled away.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:23 PM

1,767 posts, read 2,350,425 times

Grey terror ?

From the topic article:

Quote:

... anti-nuclear activists, including an 82-year-old nun...

Old 08-03-2012, 12:26 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,965,286 times
Default Thread fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post

Can you imagine the PR that would have followed had the nun and her group been shot and killed as the nuclear site security snipers are trained to do? And, don't think for a minute that the elderly nun didn't anticipate becoming a martyr for her cause.

Honestly, this is much ado about very little. It is clear the OP has no insight into the high level training and security clearance undergone by those carrying weapons to protect our nuclear facilities. Rent-a-cops they are not.

Frankly, if the OP is worried about this nation's security, he should question this administration's policies (Operation Fast & Furious, Open Borders, Pre-emptive war, sky-rocketing national debt) and leaks which appeared to be coming from the White House.

Old 08-03-2012, 04:04 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,286,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Can you imagine the PR that would have followed had the nun and her group been shot and killed as the nuclear site security snipers are trained to do? And, don't think for a minute that the elderly nun didn't anticipate becoming a martyr for her cause.

Honestly, this is much ado about very little. It is clear the OP has no insight into the high level training and security clearance undergone by those carrying weapons to protect our nuclear facilities. Rent-a-cops they are not.

Frankly, if the OP is worried about this nation's security, he should question this administration's policies (Operation Fast & Furious, Open Borders, Pre-emptive war, sky-rocketing national debt) and leaks which appeared to be coming from the White House.
I've been on a number of nuclear sites, and interacted with the "security snipers." To call them rent-a-cops is abit harsh, but they are not the highly trained snipers you make them out to be, either. It's just as clear that you have no insight into it' either.

Nice try at deflection, though.

Old 08-03-2012, 04:11 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,965,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanman13 View Post
I've been on a number of nuclear sites, and interacted with the "security snipers." To call them rent-a-cops is abit harsh, but they are not the highly trained snipers you make them out to be, either. It's just as clear that you have no insight into it' either.

Nice try at deflection, though.
They used to be the most highly trained. Perhaps things have changed in the past 15 years.

Deflection, no.

Old 08-03-2012, 04:52 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,544,740 times
GS45 again. You remember them, right? They provide the security for the London Olympics which Romney complained about, and then backtracked. They also provided security in Salt Lake City for those games and were involved in a pay off scandal.

But, the owner is a good supporter of Romney, so I expect we could see them getting more contracts if Mitt wins the White House. It's called "privatization," a euphemism for funneling tax dollars to corporate buddies.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:21 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,693,967 times
OK you folks. When will one of you answer why.....THE U.S. MILITARY ISN'T TASKED TO GUARD OUR NUKES?

WHY IS A PRIVATE CONTRACTOR BEING ENTRUSTED WITH NUKE MATERIALS?

IMO, SOMEONE IN THE GOV'T NEEDS TO HAVE THEIR ASS KICKED UP BETWEEN THEIR SHOULDER BLADES FOR EVEN ALLOWING PRIVATE CONTRACTORS ON THE GROUNDS!!

Old 08-03-2012, 07:28 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,509,919 times
That 82 year old nun is in for a rude awakening when she tries to fly home after her arraignment: the TSA will frag her azz!

Haaar; had she tried to board a flight she would have been stripped down to her depends but she can get through the fence of a nuke storage facility.

Anybody else see anything wrong with this picture?

Old 08-03-2012, 07:30 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,509,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
GS45 again. You remember them, right? They provide the security for the London Olympics which Romney complained about, and then backtracked. They also provided security in Salt Lake City for those games and were involved in a pay off scandal.

But, the owner is a good supporter of Romney, so I expect we could see them getting more contracts if Mitt wins the White House. It's called "privatization," a euphemism for funneling tax dollars to corporate buddies.
Cheney had Haliburton, Obama's got Solyndra, Romney's gotta have his pets too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies