Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 10:09 PM

2,548 posts, read 2,166,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Dude, all laws are the rule of men, who do you think wrote the U.S. Code, god?

Never mind don't answer that.
Would explain this painting popular with "Constitution" types

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 10:11 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,161,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Where is the origin of my debt to another citizen?

Why am I called "selfish" for wanting to keep what I earn?

In fact, no other citizen has a claim on MY property, including my earnings.

Taxation is constitutional.....but limited to enumerated spending powers.

This argument simply cannot be broken.
Really? So the soldiers and cops and firemen have no claim on part of your salary?

I have no problem with you not paying any taxes whatsoever, so long as you stop using roads, fly airlines that have no safety inspections and do not use air traffic controllers, eat food that has not had any inspection, never call the fire or police departments and so on. I can handle giving people that option. I can even handle allowing people to abstain from paying for things they find morally offensive. You find subsidizing those dirty, filthy, no-good poor people offensive. I find subsidizing War Inc. and the Drug War offensive. Fair enough, I won't pay for the Defense Department or the Drug War and you won't pay for those miserable poor people who just want all your money.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:14 PM

Funny, I can't find the word "prayer" in my copy of the Constitution. I also can't find "collateral damage," "enhanced interrogation," "enemy combatants," "guns" or "Christianity." Huh. Listening to some folks, I assumed they were all in there.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:14 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,226,354 times
Great thread... looks like the debate has begun

Old 08-13-2012, 10:15 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,076,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
I've read my Constitution again....I cannot find "social justice" anywhere!

"Social Justice" is a code word for "Rule of men", as opposed to "Rule of Law".

"Social Justice" is what you get when actual Justice (the equal application of law to everyone) is thwarted.

So, it is the opposite of what is in the Constitution.

It is, in fact, what the Constitution was designed to prohibit.
Good point, like Slavery and Women's rights.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:15 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,042,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugality View Post
Would explain this painting popular with "Constitution" types
Jesus was with the writers of the Constitution - they opened every session with prayer - and Jesus said "whenever two or more are gathered together in my name, there I am among them".

Old 08-13-2012, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Jesus was with the writers of the Constitution - they opened every session with prayer - and Jesus said "whenever two or more are gathered together in my name, there I am among them".
Yep, because the "writers" were a monolithic group.

BTW, how do you choose which parts of the Bible to accept and which ones to ignore?

Old 08-13-2012, 10:19 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,042,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
Funny, I can't find the word "prayer" in my copy of the Constitution. I also can't find "collateral damage," "enhanced interrogation," "enemy combatants," "guns" or "Christianity." Huh. Listening to some folks, I assumed they were all in there.
Strawman.

Also - the word "arms" is in the Constitution - a word which = guns.

Christianity is a religion and the Constitution has a clause in it that specifically protects the free exercise of religion.

Congress has the power to declare war which accounts for your other three terms. If you will recall - Congress passed two resolutions authorizing military action in certain countries located in West Asia.

Now - what was your point again?

Old 08-13-2012, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Strawman.

Also - the word "arms" is in the Constitution - a word which = guns.

Christianity is a religion and the Constitution has a clause in it that specifically protects the free exercise of religion.

Congress has the power to declare war which accounts for your other three terms. If you will recall - Congress passed two resolutions authorizing military action in certain countries located in West Asia.

Now - what was your point again?
This might be one of the best contortions ever attempted on an online forum. Yes, ability to torture and to kill civilians is most certainly subsumed with the granting of Congress the authority to declare war. How in the world have all these Constitutional scholars missed that all this time?!?!

Old 08-13-2012, 10:24 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,094,734 times
Quote:
Yeah, right there along with Zeus, Mahavishnu, a crew of leprechauns...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies