Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 10:27 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,087,446 times

Advertisements

'Religious' and 'Conservative' seem to go together like peanut butter and jelly in the States...this has probably been the case since at least Reagan. I've heard that the old school conservatives, whatever you want to call them (sometimes inaccurately called 'fiscal' conservatives) like say the wealthy Rockefeller's or something, who weren't really socially conservative, are a 'dying breed', although if you look at voting patterns it seems fairly wealthy areas like Orange County and much of Long Island is quite Republican.

Would I be right in saying that these conservatives are still less religious than conservatives in the South and Midwest? It seems that working class conservatives also seem rarer in these areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 10:30 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,833,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
'Religious' and 'Conservative' seem to go together like peanut butter and jelly in the States...this has probably been the case since at least Reagan.
It goes back a lot longer than Reagan. In fact, it was religious folks of the south that largely kicked Goldwater out of contention in the 1968 campaign (The "Wallace Hallelujah" crowd). And in fact, one could potentially go back all the way to the beginning of time to see the impact on the south.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:33 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,485,182 times
That's been my perception. Having lived in the midwest and the south, it's difficult to be considered a "good christian" if you don't also vote for a right wing candidate (preferably a Republican). I've met several conservatives from the Northeast (relatively speaking) who are not religious at all yet are fairly conservative on economic issues. Even though I'm religious, I prefer those conservatives than the "Christian Right" ones because I don't think religion should be so closely tied to politics.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:44 AM

2,463 posts, read 2,790,707 times
"Conservatives" in the northeast and west coast are tyoically more educated, and use more common sense. As a whole, people in these areas are more educated overall, the cost of living is much higher, and these blue areas are usually considered more desired places to live, generally. Also, the term conservative used to mean, "what I do in my back yard (or in my bedroom) is my own business and no one elses, and what you do is your business, and your right." Now, the definition seems to be, for so-called conservatives to tell others what they can and can't do based on their religious beliefs, or how they minipulate, or rationalize biblical scripture to justify their preachings, often indicating because "I am a Christian, I am morally better than you."

Old 08-14-2012, 11:17 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,833,891 times
A better question would be... what makes people religious? And does it guarantee an interference with personal freedoms and require collectivism?

Old 08-14-2012, 11:25 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,960,165 times
, and these blue areas are usually considered more desired places to live, generally.

I seriously doubt that to be a fact.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:25 AM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,921,382 times
I wouldn't say that they are less religious, it is more a matter of the style of their religious beliefs.

In the West and Northeast conservatives still tend to be religious but they are not militant or literal in their beliefs like some people in the South and Midwest.

You are not going to find as many conservatives in the West and Northeast that actually believe in a literal 6 day creation story, or a young flat earth that survived a global flood. The Western conservatives that I have lived with my entire life seem to understand that religious texts are highly allegorical and symbolic in nature unlike their Bible Belt brethren.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:32 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,595,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
, and these blue areas are usually considered more desired places to live, generally.

I seriously doubt that to be a fact.
You shouldn't.
I assure you that there are more educated europeans and asians in NYC and Boston than in the trashy Dallas, Phoenix and Houston.
Even illegal mexicans don't find The South appealing anymore.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:47 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,331,463 times
I live in the Midwest, am not religious, and am a staunch conservative on most issues. I don't really know any holy-roller conservative types either. In fact, some are even atheists.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:49 AM

1,378 posts, read 1,393,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
'Religious' and 'Conservative' seem to go together like peanut butter and jelly in the States...this has probably been the case since at least Reagan. I've heard that the old school conservatives, whatever you want to call them (sometimes inaccurately called 'fiscal' conservatives) like say the wealthy Rockefeller's or something, who weren't really socially conservative, are a 'dying breed', although if you look at voting patterns it seems fairly wealthy areas like Orange County and much of Long Island is quite Republican.

Would I be right in saying that these conservatives are still less religious than conservatives in the South and Midwest? It seems that working class conservatives also seem rarer in these areas.

I've run into both hard-line religious right conservatives and more socially moderate/libertarian ones here in California. A few outright secular ones, too.

So I would say it's a mix out in the West, based on my experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies