Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 11:42 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
Sorry to have to say this, but I don't think you know what you're talking about when you offer assertions as you have above.
My assertion is based on the results of a Pew Study that actually asked journalists what they identified themsleves as. Are you going to suggest Pew's results are wrong? LOL

What is your assertion based on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 11:44 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,497,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
My assertion is based on the results of a Pew Study that actually asked journalists what they identified themsleves as. Are you going to suggest Pew's results are wrong? LOL

What is your assertion based on?
Post a link to the survey so we can have a look.

My assertion: what's your definition of "media." Narrow, I'm assuming. But I'll be interested in reading it.

Old 08-16-2012, 11:46 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,553,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
There is simply not a better domestic news source than NPR.
Absolutely!

Old 08-16-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
Post a link to the survey so we can have a look.

My assertion: what's your definition of "media." Narrow, I'm assuming. But I'll be interested in reading it.
Selective reading? The link and a citation is in the post you quoted. LOL

How can you expect to debate a topic if you can't read more than one sentence?

Let me guess, you're one of those people when reading an article never get past the headline?

Old 08-16-2012, 11:54 AM

1,356 posts, read 1,944,589 times
Quote:
In theory that is the way it's supposed to work but that is not the way it works in practice. Are going to suggest CNN's or Fox's news coverage is not bias? I can see it from both sides, can you? The problem is Fox is the exception and the one major outlet with a conservative slant, the overwhelming majority of media outlets are liberally biased and when you start mixing taxpayer dollars..........

That is how it works in practice because pretending like both opinions are equally valid is reporters prevent being accused of having a bias(your assertion about npr being liberally biased being the clearest example). Other news networks like CNN or Fox have an obligation to their sponsors to keep their journalist from pressing sources even if they're presenting misinformation to keep viewers happy. Otherwise they're just being "biased" which is the difference between having journalistic integrity and trying to attain correct information and being biased in what your network chooses to cover and how.

Quote:
If we're talking about cable quite a bit but I've made the choice to purchase that programming. I really don't think that's point though because it's inevitable that NPR is going to slant their reporting in the direction of whoever is supporting their cause, it's just human nature. If you had a politician that was very vocal in eliminating their funding do you really think they are going to get a fair shake in the reporting?
No I'm talking about each and every program that the government runs that you don't benefit off of.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octa View Post
Other news networks like CNN or Fox have an obligation to their sponsors
And NPR reporters don;t have an obligation to their political supporters?

Quote:
No I'm talking about each and every program that the government runs that you don't benefit off of.
That depends on what the program is and the need. There is no need for NPR.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
And NPR reporters don;t have an obligation to their political supporters?
The burden of proof is on you. Prove to everyone here from a reliable source that NPR panders its news to political sponsors in order to get funding like a private media outlet does.

Quote:
That depends on what the program is and the need. There is no need for NPR.
So in otherwords you don't know and NPR is your target because it happens to be the tea party target. As you've in this thread, plenty of people enjoy the services that npr provides because of journalistic qualities and vote in elected officials to see that it remains in place.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
The burden of proof is on you. Prove to everyone here from a reliable source that NPR panders its news to political sponsors in order to get funding like a private media outlet does.
Why is the burden of proof on me? Your opinion is no better than mine, prove that they aren't.......

Quote:
So in otherwords you don't know and NPR is your target because it happens to be the tea party target. As you've in this thread, plenty of people enjoy the services that npr provides because of journalistic qualities and vote in elected officials to see that it remains in place.
It's a target because it's an uneeded taxpayer expense along with the issue of government funded political programming that is inevitably going to have a bias in support of those that will continue their funding. As far as the people that enjoy their programming they can support it themselves if they want it to continue, my tax dollars shouldn't be used for the entertainment of anyone.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Why is the burden of proof on me? Your opinion is no better than mine, prove that they aren't.......

It's a target because it's an uneeded taxpayer expense along with the issue of government funded political programming that is inevitably going to have a bias in support of those that will continue their funding. As far as the people that enjoy their programming they can support it themselves if they want it to continue, my tax dollars shouldn't be used for the entertainment of anyone.
When you go around making telling conspiracy theories about npr being chained to secret government sponsors then the burden of proof falls on you to prove it. You're the one who's spend the last several pages arguing that and that npr should no longer receive public funds. If you can't put facts where your mouth is then I'll take it as a concession since there's no point in continuing on from here.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
When you go around making telling conspiracy theories about npr being chained to secret government sponsors then the burden of proof falls on you to prove it. You're the one who's spend the last several pages arguing that and that npr should no longer receive public funds. If you can't put facts where your mouth is then I'll take it as a concession since there's no point in continuing on from here.
Conspiracy theory? LOL I thought at the beginning of your posts we were going to be able to have an adult discussion, guess I was wrong. I only need to listen to their programming to form my opinion. As I already posted your opinion is no better than mine.

The bottom line is this, this country is in debt up to it's eyeballs and we need priorities. NPR is like a $5 coffee, it may be nice to have in the opinion of some but when you have $20K in credit card debt it's probably a good idea to stop buying $5 coffees you don't need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies