Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 02:05 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,031,985 times

Advertisements

Well hell you must be a fat slob who's gonna die at 50. lol

The athletes running around today unbelievable. My son is a soph in high school now and there is a kid in his class who's never lifted a weight in his life who's 6'2" weighs around 240 and runs the hundred on the varsity track team to boot. Built like a rock. Looks like a young version of Christian Okoye. I ask his mother what the hell she feeds him and she just laughs and says everything. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 02:07 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,681,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Well hell you must be a fat slob who's gonna die at 50. lol

The athletes running around today unbelievable. My son is a soph in high school now and there is a kid in his class who's never lifted a weight in his life who's 6'2" weighs around 240 and runs the hundred on the varsity track team to boot. Built like a rock. Looks like a young version of Christian Okoye. I ask his mother what the hell she feeds him and she just laughs and says everything. lol
Hmm. Sure that's not Okoye's kid?

Old 08-16-2012, 02:11 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,595,721 times
300 lbs at 12? They do grow them bigger in Texas.

5,064 posts, read 5,736,295 times
I know the Tuohys, the real family from The Blind Side Story. Michael Oher was a big guy, but he wasn't nearly as fat as the guy who played him in the movie. That actor did a fantastic job though.
And it is a great movie. I generally don't let my kids watch movies with violence, but I took them to see The Blind Side, partly because of my personal connection, but mostly so they could see that so many kids don't grow up in the bubble that they live in.

29,407 posts, read 22,031,985 times
They got him playing linebacker he fumbles too much.

Old 08-16-2012, 02:15 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,570,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
If he's the right size, and can develop the speed and instincts, seventh grade is certainly not too late.
Maybe in your state but not in Texas. In 7th grade kids can try out for the team and the ones who make the team have been playing since they were 5 years old. You try out in 7th grade, not 8th grade.

6th grade is full of talk and anticipation. The football coaches already know who is going to play what position. This is football in Texas..it has a life and elevation of its own.

When the HS has a game the elementary and middle schools get bussed to the HS for the pep rallies.
When there is a big game against the next town all the homes long the road the buses go have their "colors" on the mailboxes. MS is the training ground for HS and taken just as serious.

http://ezinearticles.com/?The-Allure...ball&id=256049
In Texas, football isn't a sport and it isn't an extra-curricular activity. No, it's almost been elevated to the level of a religion. To say that Texas high school football fans are passionate about the sport would be an understatement; a huge understatement.

Old 08-16-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Maybe in your state but not in Texas. In 7th grade kids can try out for the team and the ones who make the team have been playing since they were 5 years old. You try out in 7th grade, not 8th grade.

6th grade is full of talk and anticipation. The football coaches already know who is going to play what position. This is football in Texas..it has a life and elevation of its own.

When the HS has a game the elementary and middle schools get bussed to the HS for the pep rallies.
When there is a big game against the next town all the homes long the road the buses go have their "colors" on the mailboxes. MS is the training ground for HS and taken just as serious.

http://ezinearticles.com/?The-Allure...ball&id=256049
In Texas, football isn't a sport and it isn't an extra-curricular activity. No, it's almost been elevated to the level of a religion. To say that Texas high school football fans are passionate about the sport would be an understatement; a huge understatement.
I totally get that. But if my son, 6-0, 300 lbs with size 15 feet at age 14, shows up at any high school freshman year and wants to play football, I guarantee you they will not turn him away because he's too inexperienced.

Old 08-16-2012, 02:23 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,115,651 times
Quote:
Nothing more than your childish opinion.
They are. Don't get me wrong, my 5 favorite powerful, strong, quick, agile tubs of lard in the world are - from left to right - Ryan Clady, Zane Beadles, JD Walton, Chris Kuper, and Orlando Franklin. The things they can do at that weight are truly astonishing.

I'm not, however, going to be confusing them with paragons of good health and overall physical fitness. They're heart attacks waiting to happen.

Quote:
Citation?
I was off by 2 years. It's 52.

Sports: A huge problem

"While U.S. life expectancy is 77.6 years, recent studies suggest the average for NFL players is 55, 52 for linemen."

And that's not even really a good comparison. The 77.6 stat includes people dying at all ages (it incorporates infant and child mortality), and NFL linemen as a group have already survived childhood.

Quote:
Which has gotten you where in terms of competitive sports?
I don't understand this question.

Quote:
Not comparing apples to oranges? Are you one of the top cross-country runners, swimmers or bikers in the world? Every NFL lineman is among the top football players in the world. You, on the other hand, MAY be one of the best distance runners or swimmers or bikers in your town or even your state. Not the same, I'm afraid. And I am also sure that some of those fat tubs of lard could beat you in a 40-yard-dash.
I guess it's how you define athlete. And as to 40 yard dash, I'm pretty sure I could easily break 5 seconds, something only 2 linemen did at this year's combine (4.94 and 4.99).

As to athletes, for me, it must include a high level of physical fitness. I have a hard time considering any (under 50 year old) man who can't run a sub, oh, let's be really nice, 6 minute mile an athlete. As skilled as they are (much more so than me in what they do), I don't consider, say, CC Sabathia (MLB pitcher) or John Daly (pro golfer) athletes.

Old 08-16-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
They are. Don't get me wrong, my 5 favorite powerful, strong, quick, agile tubs of lard in the world are - from left to right - Ryan Clady, Zane Beadles, JD Walton, Chris Kuper, and Orlando Franklin. The things they can do at that weight are truly astonishing.
Yeah....so why the disrespect? I like Peters more than Clady and Maurkice Pouncey more than Walton. The other guys aren't as good as the ones I've mentioned.

With that tub or lard bs, again, you're just insulting these people with a juvenile term. I would have expected to hear or see this somewhere in junior high.

Quote:
I'm not, however, going to be confusing them with paragons of good health and overall physical fitness. They're heart attacks waiting to happen.

Nah. You way overstate the situation.

Quote:
I was off by 2 years. It's 52.

Sports: A huge problem

"While U.S. life expectancy is 77.6 years, recent studies suggest the average for NFL players is 55, 52 for linemen."

And that's not even really a good comparison. The 77.6 stat includes people dying at all ages (it incorporates infant and child mortality), and NFL linemen have already surpassed that.
But the stats have less to do with thier weight than with the hundreds or thousands of nasty collisions they have.

Quote:
I don't understand this question.
Just pointing out that your experience and your achievements don't measure up to theirs.

Quote:
I guess it's how you define athlete. And as to 40 yard dash, I'm pretty sure I could easily break 5 seconds, something only 2 linemen did at this year's combine (4.94 and 4.99).
I am talking offensive and defensive linemen, and lots more than two broke five seconds.

Quote:

As to athletes, for me, it must include a high level of physical fitness. I have a hard time considering any (under 50 year old) man who can't run a sub, oh, let's be really nice, 6 minute mile an athlete. As skilled as they are (much more so than me in what they do), I don't consider, say, CC Sabathia (MLB pitcher) or John Daly (pro golfer) athletes.

They are athletes, though not athletic. I don't think Daly has much athletic ability or fitness, and CC is certainly not fit.

Old 08-16-2012, 02:58 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,115,651 times
Quote:
Yeah....so why the disrespect? I like Peters more than Clady and Maurkice Pouncey more than Walton. The other guys aren't as good as the ones I've mentioned. With that tub or lard bs, again, you're just insulting these people with a juvenile term. I would have expected to hear or see this somewhere in junior high.
So I'm being a bit juvenile - sue me. I should have stuck with "unhealthily obese." I just find it so outrageously absurd to claim that any man (let alone a 12 year old child) who weights in excess of 300 pounds is at a healthy weight.

Quote:
Nah. You way overstate the situation.
Am I really? http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/29/sp...pagewanted=all

Quote:
...current N.F.L. players are at a greater risk than the general population for high blood pressure and...retired players are more prone to obesity, sleep apnea and metabolic syndrome: conditions like elevated blood pressure, insulin and cholesterol levels and excessive body fat around the waist that together heighten the risk for heart disease, stroke and diabetes.

“I just can’t see how they can be healthy,” said Dr. Charles Yesalis, an epidemiologist and professor emeritus of health and human development at Penn State. “Yes, some may be 280 pounds of muscle, but then they carry 40 pounds of fat. It just overworks your heart. It puts a strain on your joints. You have the whole issue of concussive injuries. It all adds up to things that are not good for your health, but it makes for a good carnival atmosphere when you see the behemoths out there.”

...former offensive and defensive linemen had a 52 percent higher rate of death from cardiovascular disease. Since then, the players have only grown larger; the average N.F.L. weight is now 252 pounds.

A 2005 study by the University of North Carolina found that more than a quarter of the N.F.L.’s players fit the category of Class II obesity, which is between moderate and morbidly obese. A 2006 survey by Scripps Howard newspapers of the deaths of 3,850 professional pro football players over the last century found that the heaviest players were more than twice as likely as lighter players to have died before their 50th birthdays.
Quote:
But the stats have less to do with thier weight than with the hundreds or thousands of nasty collisions they have.
Certainly both, but primarily weight. All NFL players have health problems after they retire, but the worst problems - and the players who die the soonest - are the linemen.

Quote:
Just pointing out that your experience and your achievements don't measure up to theirs.
I consider my achievements in the lab (I went professional in chemistry) to far outshine anything any NFL player as ever done on any football field.

Quote:
I am talking offensive and defensive linemen, and lots more than two broke five seconds.
I thought we were only talking about O-linemen, but sure, lots of D-linmen break 5 seconds at the Combine. Mostly the ends however, who in general, weight nowhere near 300 pounds. The fastest D-lineman this year was Bruce Irving, who is 52 pounds lighter and 3 inches taller than this 12 year old.

Quote:
They are athletes, though not athletic. I don't think Daly has much athletic ability or fitness, and CC is certainly not fit.
Let's just agree to disagree on this. Arguing about it will go nowhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies