Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 10:07 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
These posts are not in line with what I started this thread for. Its not about Obama or Romney, neither Presidential candidate has a plan you can look at, and as such we can't debate them.

The Ryan plan, and Simpson-Bowles are there to read.
They are exactly in line. I gave you opinions on both the plans and what pieces I felt were most appropriate. I didnt name call or even make it political. The fact remains neither plan will work unless the economy rebounds. PERIOD. The economy has a better shot at rebounding if Romney gets elected, that is the plain truth of it. Call it the Carter effect.

Last edited by Bulldogdad; 08-17-2012 at 11:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 10:13 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
They are exactly in line. I gave you opinions on both the plans and what pieces I felt where most appropriate. I didnt name call or even make it political. The fact remains neither plan will work unless the economy rebounds. PERIOD. The economy has a better shot at rebounding if Romney gets elected, that is the plain truth of it. Call it the Carter effect.

I didn't ask for "Well just get rid of Obama"

Thats not a plan, its a statement of opinion, and can't be debated as such.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:18 AM

1,635 posts, read 1,594,056 times
Ryan is the vp. It will be ROmney's plans.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:22 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,394,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Blue View Post
Ryan is the vp. It will be ROmney's plans.
Technically we are not discussing either Presidential candidate's plans. As to Romney's plan it is very vague and he cannot answer simple questions about it like: Will it eliminate the home mortgage interest deduction?

Old 08-17-2012, 10:25 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Quote:
I didn't ask for "Well just get rid of Obama"

Thats not a plan, its a statement of opinion, and can't be debated as such.
The problem with that logic is that your only addressing part of the problem with the viability of either of these budget plans. The key is the economy. Business is not happy with Obama and that is where you generate cash flow for the economy. The two are linked. Again in my opinion.

If I dont feel positive about next year then I am going to continue to hunker down. It's that simple.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:49 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,980,764 times
Rand Paul's plan beats either of these two plans. We're past the stage of pretty rhetoric and little trims around the edges. We need a fundamental transformation in how we look at our currency and the proper role of government. Simpson-Bowles and Romney-Ryan are ultimately timid plans that fall well short of what we really need.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:51 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Quote:
CBLPI Reflections: Competing Deficit Reduction Plans: Simpson-Bowles vs. Paul Ryan

Lets have a real debate here. Which plan is better, do you think?

And I know, Romney says his plan differs from Ryans, but he doesn't exactly explain why, and President Obama doesn't have a plan.

But these two are the most realistic "Washington" plan on the books.

Hell, if Congress simply capped spending, except at the rate of inflation to pay down the debt, meaning that all government programs would equal to 0 increases in 2013, it would balance the budget quicker then both Simpson-Bowles or the Ryan plan, but that isn't going to happen.

So, lets debate the two most serious budget proposals.

I like Simpson Bowles because it makes Social security solvent, and caps medicare spending rather then turning it into a voucher program and "ending Medicare as we know it". That with its more severe cuts to defense spending, and it doesn't lower taxes on anyone while asking anyone else to pay more out of their own pocket.

Happy arguments. Again, lets not discuss this along party lines, because as I said, neither Presidential candidate has a plan that we can really cook the numbers on.
The major problem with the idea is that Ryans plan will never get past the Senate, so it will not be happening. That leaves the Simpson-Bowles plan, we shall see it can get through or not. As for The President, either of them, they do not write budgets, that is the job of the House.
Good idea but unfortunately, reality makes discussing the differences moot.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:18 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,773,129 times
Ryan's plan is a joke. Simpsons/Bowles is a whole lot better and would actually keep the US competitive.

Old 08-17-2012, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
Rand Paul's plan beats either of these two plans. We're past the stage of pretty rhetoric and little trims around the edges. We need a fundamental transformation in how we look at our currency and the proper role of government. Simpson-Bowles and Romney-Ryan are ultimately timid plans that fall well short of what we really need.
Well then how about posting his plan, with detailed information so that people can read it and decide?

Old 08-17-2012, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
The problem with that logic is that your only addressing part of the problem with the viability of either of these budget plans. The key is the economy. Business is not happy with Obama and that is where you generate cash flow for the economy. The two are linked. Again in my opinion.

If I dont feel positive about next year then I am going to continue to hunker down. It's that simple.
No, its not.

Simply saying "get rid of Obama" isn't a solution. Republicans have shown a willingness to spend just as much money, and I would argue that unfunded tax cuts is spending.

We need a plan, not "blame that guy". Its obvious its all their faults, but we've git to hope that the idiots that messed it up, can fix it. What I'm hoping for here is an informed debate, so that people will know what they are talking about, and urge their elected officials to vote or back the plan they like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies