Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 05:24 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,469,142 times

Advertisements

Consider a fixed tax with an exemption for those with income below poverty level:

If you're above poverty level, you pay a flat x dollars. A person making $50K pays x dollars and someone making $1 million pays the same x dollars. If you're below poverty level, you are exempt.

Some people call that a head tax and some people say it isn't. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2012, 06:07 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,481,099 times
I think its the way taxation should be. No one person should be required to carry a heavier load of the countrys bills then another.

Old 08-18-2012, 06:35 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,396,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Consider a fixed tax with an exemption for those with income below poverty level:

If you're above poverty level, you pay a flat x dollars. A person making $50K pays x dollars and someone making $1 million pays the same x dollars. If you're below poverty level, you are exempt.

Some people call that a head tax and some people say it isn't. What do you think?

A "fixed" tax would indicate that everyone would pay the same dollar amount.

If you're making 50K a year, 2000 dollars is a whole lot of income, but if you're making 500000 a year, 2000 is chump change.

Not fair.

I like the flat tax, one fixed percentage tax.

Old 08-18-2012, 06:35 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,944,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
I think its the way taxation should be. No one person should be required to carry a heavier load of the countrys bills then another.
Then no one should be exempted from any tax system. People should not be allowed to vote themselves other people's money, period.

Old 08-18-2012, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Then no one should be exempted from any tax system. People should not be allowed to vote themselves other people's money, period.
Couldnt agree more. When someone pays nothing they will vote for the candidate who promises them something for nothing.

Old 08-18-2012, 06:46 AM

There are some people in Portland who would like to impose such a tax. The Oregon Constitution (Article 9, Section 1a) says "No poll tax or head tax shall be levied or collected in Oregon."

Proponents of the tax say it's not a head tax. Apparently their reasoning is that if some people are exempted, it's not a head tax.

I was surprised when looking it up to find that some cities (Chicago, Seattle, Denver) have imposed a head tax on business owners, what some have called a tax on jobs. (Now THAT is taxing job creators.)

Old 08-18-2012, 07:19 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,167,528 times
What an idiotic idea.

Old 08-18-2012, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Couldnt agree more. When someone pays nothing they will vote for the candidate who promises them something for nothing.

What do you think of homeowners in Michigan voting for a "nonhomestead tax" that they do not pay?

Old 08-18-2012, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
What do you think of homeowners in Michigan voting for a "nonhomestead tax" that they do not pay?

I know nothing about it. Educate me

Old 08-18-2012, 08:37 AM

Quote:
I know nothing about it. Educate me

The short story is that Michigan has a "nonhomestead tax" levied locally for schools. Farms and owner-occupied primary residences are exempt from this tax if the homeowner files an annual form claiming his home or farm as his primary residence (homestead).

This tax was created by the legislature and was intended as a state levy (similar to the state education tax on all taxable property) but was made a local tax because the state was bumped up against a constitutional tax limitation (Headlee Amendment, 1978).

This tax is 3x the state education tax, making the total school tax rate on rental property 4x the rate on owner-occupied homes.

As a local (millage) tax, it must be voted and renewed periodically by voters. This tax usually passes by overwhelming margins (I vote against it at every opportunity), which is not surprising since a large majority of votes are cast by homeowners (in Michigan, school elections are usually held on the second MONDAY in June, guaranteeing a ridiculously low turnout) and the vast majority of homeowners do not own any nonhomestead property.

As an aside, a property tax cap was established years later. The Headlee Amendment allows voters to override tax limitations, and voters used this provision to override the cap ON THE NONHOMESTEAD TAX but never even considered overriding the cap on their own homes. As a result, I later came to regard my vote for the Headlee Amendment to have been the single most regrettable vote in my life.

So a majority of homeowners votes itself free money paid for by owners of nonhomestead property and their tenants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies