Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support involuntary commmittment?
Yes - mentally ill people who pose a threat to themselves or others should be mandated to receive treatment 15 83.33%
No 3 16.67%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 10:03 PM

2,548 posts, read 2,163,590 times

Advertisements

What do you think of involuntary committment laws? Do you support or oppose them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 10:04 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugality View Post
What do you think of involuntary committment laws? Do you support or oppose them?
If they are a danger to me I want them gone.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:11 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Such laws are a regrettable necessity.

Mental patients in the dangerous category aren't "One flew over the cuckoo's nest" type mildly eccentric characters, they suffer. Badly. As do their surroundings. And the nature of their ailment means they can't make rational treatment decisions. This really is a situation where you have to pick the lesser of two evils.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:11 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,695,641 times
Mentally ill people have great difficulty receiving psychiatric treatment. Even when government is notified. Even when others in the community also notify government. Even when they ask for treatment. It is just our system. Often they cannot pay for treatment.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:14 PM

2,548 posts, read 2,163,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortpes View Post
Mentally ill people have great difficulty receiving psychiatric treatment. Even when government is notified. Even when others in the community also notify government. Even when they ask for treatment. It is just our system. Often they cannot pay for treatment.
Mental illness is one of the few illnesses in which families disown the patient. If one had diabetes or lung disease, would all these families bail on them and disown them, but somehow this seems to happen with mental illness, probably because people see it as a character flaw. Sad and unfortunatel

Old 08-21-2012, 01:29 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugality View Post
In the past such laws were abused, not only by government, but also by unscrupulous lawyers and devious family members seeking to get their hands on wealth or money.

I'm sure if you tried really, really hard, you could come up with a system that protects everyone, while simultaneously preventing abuses by government or family members or other interested parties.

Voluntarily....

Mircea

Old 08-21-2012, 01:47 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
If they're not willing, how could psychiatric treatment assist them?

no...this would be a very bad idea.
Then they stay in treatment and are not free to harm others or themselves. Or maybe they can move in next door to you,

Old 08-21-2012, 02:13 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,352,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Then they stay in treatment and are not free to harm others or themselves. Or maybe they can move in next door to you,
If they're pretty likely to harm themselves or others, I'd be for this, but what does it mean to pose a danger to themselves or others? I think now, imminent danger is the more commonly used term.
What does that mean?

If someone owns a rattlesnake, and lets the rattlesnake climb over him, that person should not be necessarily made to seek psychiatric treatment.

If a severely schizophrenic person owns a rattlesnake, and lets that rattlesnake climb over him, that could be different.

Maybe I'm a little defensive, knowing a perfectly...so far as I'm aware...sane former high school principal, and former teacher of my cousin's art class, and still an art teacher, who did own a rattlesnake, who he let climb over him, and who did occasionally do things like stick his hand into a tree trunk after a squirrel...and pull out his hand with squirrel hair in his fingers...and reach back in to get the squirrel, and bring it out, gnawing on his thumb...after which time he bit the head off the squirrel. Another time he tried to snap a wild turkey's neck with his bare hands and ended up in the hospital.

I am defensive towards people who will probably hurt themselves...but might not.

Last edited by Clintone; 08-21-2012 at 02:56 PM..

Old 08-21-2012, 02:39 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
I remember when O'Conner came about in the mid-70's. We had a state mental institution in my city. The biggest issue is that suddenly there were no services for these people. It was like literally overnight the flood gates opened. Very few patients had loving family come to take them back home, instead they quickly started living on the streets. The jail became the de facto mental institution.

We need to bring back involuntary confinement but no way would I want it as easy as it was in the 60's. There has to be a happy in between. Not just for society's protection, but for the protection of the mentally ill person. Jails and prisons are not equipped to give proper care to mentally ill people. In a regular jail it is too easy for them to be targets for true criminals.

Old 08-21-2012, 02:46 PM

31,050 posts, read 22,077,427 times
For the ones that are truly a dnager to themselves and others.

the majority of mentally Ill people can live normal lives with proper Therapy and medication. One of the major proplems is many of these people can't afford treatment. While the government puts Illegal Aliens with Children on Welfare, Mentally Ill adults, many who have paid taxes most of their lives get disgarded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies