Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 04:12 PM

876 posts, read 709,037 times

Advertisements

[quote=AnUnidentifiedMale;25760198]Most politicians say that their faith informs their political decisions. So in that respect, I think it is helpful to know about a politician's religious beliefs.

I agree. It is very helpful to understand a politican's religious beliefs and hopefully they are honest about those beliefs. It is also very helpful to know about how they were brought up and who were their influences also. I guess in a perfect world, the politician would tell you what his/her plans are and they would coincide with what you know their beliefs to be and then you can make an informed decision about voting for them. But, just because someone has a religious belief that is not like your's doesn't mean that those beliefs will bring them to bad decisions.I wouldn't not vote for an atheist if I believed they would make the best decisions.

Old 08-22-2012, 04:19 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,075,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Free speech is a ***** ain't it?
Yup it is..... I love it when I insult athiests to their faces and they go home crying..... FREE SPEECH ROCKS!!

Old 08-22-2012, 04:20 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
They must be atheists of little faith. After all, were they confident of their convictions that there is no higher power they would have no need to attack people of faith.

Is it a revelation that Satan's handmaidens have been ramping up their activity?

(humor)

No, but when people of faith are trying to pass laws that force their faith on athiests, why shouldn't they respond by attacking the faith?

I mean, the whole gay marriage argument is based on a religious belief, therefore you can now attack the religion.

The experience of the United States is a happy disproof of the error so long rooted in the unenlightened minds of well-meaning Christians, as well as in the corrupt hearts of persecuting usurpers, that without a legal incorporation of religious and civil polity, neither could be supported. A mutual independence is found most friendly to practical Religion, to social harmony, and to political prosperity

- James Madison

Either there are a lot of unenlightened Christians posting here, or they are persecuting usurpers.

Old 08-22-2012, 04:21 PM

876 posts, read 709,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
There is no evidence for any gods.

I answered your questions as best I could.

It hurts me (and you) when laws are created based upon which fantasy book an individual believes in instead of basing them on the constitution and the idea of freedom.

I care because this happens way too often.

You shouldn't put your faith in a leader who has faith in nothing. Since gods do not exist, putting your faith in a leader who believes in a god or gods is putting your faith in a leader who believes in nothing.[/snarky answer]

I can't tell you what you should do. I put my faith in leaders who rely on rational thought and equality. I refuse to put my faith into leaders who look to a 2000 year old comic book for guidance.
================================================== =====================

Fine. You can ignore the evidence that there is a God and I can ignore the evidence that there is not one. Guess we will find out when we die. No problem. But, everyone has ideas and they are all different. Just because the belief is tied to religion or a book does not mean that it is irrational. I know people that do not believe that Jesus is the son of God, but still believe that his teachings are a good way to live by. So, what is so terrible about that? BTW calling a religious book a "comic book and fantasy book" just really isn't nescessary.

Old 08-22-2012, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
Yup it is..... I love it when I insult athiests to their faces and they go home crying..... FREE SPEECH ROCKS!!
You're free to insult whomever you want. But if you aren't an atheist, I must ask, what would Jesus do?

Old 08-22-2012, 04:24 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Care to explain all the "Trust God. Repent." billboards I see along I-64 in St Louis, then?

Seems atheists aren't the only ones who like to rent billboard space.
Did anyone say they were?

Can you see the difference in tone the simple message: Trust God, repent vs. the hate speech in the atheist funded bill boards? Or do atheists consider any mention of God an affront?

Clue: Freedom of religion is guaranteed by the 1st Amendment, not freedom from religion.

Old 08-22-2012, 04:26 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,075,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
You're free to insult whomever you want. But if you aren't an atheist, I must ask, what would Jesus do?
Jessus would forgive me for sinning after I told him the situation..... I was defending his honor against hate attacks

Old 08-22-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Did anyone say they were?

Can you see the difference in tone the simple message: Trust God, repent vs. the hate speech in the atheist funded bill boards? Or do atheists consider any mention of God an affront?

Clue: Freedom of religion is guaranteed by the 1st Amendment, not freedom from religion.

No, but I do see a lot of billboards saying "You know you're going to burn in hell" intimidation is a tactic used by many religions.

But hey, everyone is free to spin their message how they want.

I always do find it funny that Christians come on here and attack atheists. Even if the atheist attacked you first, "turn the other cheek" comes to mind.

Old 08-22-2012, 04:28 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
How do you insult an atheist? It must be an insult associated with something other than their atheism. It usually takes a confident person to admit to themselves and others that he or she is an atheist. I would think that they're not easily insulted, especially by people who are overtly religious.

Old 08-22-2012, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Jessus would forgive me for sinning after I told him the situation..... I was defending his honor against hate attacks

Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity." (Matthew 7:21-23).

Jesus says those who sin knowingly, aren't really Christians, even when they say they are.

Might want to read that holy book of yours, before casting the first stone.

The Christian answer to an atheist billboard is "Bless their poor souls, I hope they find their way"

Not throwing insults.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies