Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 09:27 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,943,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Bloom View Post
She is the first lady, she doesn't set policy. How can anyone slam her for championing good nutrition?
Does she walk the walk............. Physicians to Michelle: Eat Healthy | The Blog on Obama: White House Dossier

The Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine, which promotes preventive health measures, plans to file a petition this week asking Obama to issue an executive order banning staged photos of the president, his family, the vice president and Cabinet members eating unhealthy foods, according to the Baltimore Sun.
Though he cuts a lean figure, the president is well known for his poor food choices. He makes high profile forays to a Washington area burger joint, including one with Russian Prime Minister Dmitri Medvedev, and can be regularly seen downing heaps of junk food while traveling around the country.
But Michelle, who promotes healthy eating through her “Let’s Move” kids health initiative, has herself been photographed eating pizza, ice cream, burgers, fries and cookies. She’s a regular at a local Washington pizza parlor, has hit the same burger joint as her husband, and has served all kinds of unhealthy treats and high-calorie meals to White House visitors.

At last year’s White House Super Bowl party, Michelle laid out a spread that included bratwurst, kielbasa, cheeseburgers, deep dish pizza, Snyder’s potato chips and dips, german potato salad,
and ice cream.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 09:29 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,900,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
Cokes and sugary drinks is probably contributing as much to obesity as much as unhealty eating.

Dr. Pepper is my worst vice. If I quit for 2 weeks I lose 5 pounds.
I think it's a combination of sodium, corn syrup (as opposed to cane sugar) and saturated fat: eating what's not natural. Need to grease a pan? Olive oil. Want to give your stir fry a nice asian kick without the salt? Go for the Worcestershire sauce, not the soy. Want to dress your salad? Go for the red wine vinegar and olive oil with a bit of garlic and a pinch of salt rather than the processed ranch/bleu cheese etc.

Very simple things to make you healthy.

This country needs to get back to eating local produce. Grocery is for dry food, the twice weekly visit to the "market" is for fresh food. Period

Old 08-23-2012, 09:31 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,217,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Does she walk the walk............. Physicians to Michelle: Eat Healthy | The Blog on Obama: White House Dossier

The Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine, which promotes preventive health measures, plans to file a petition this week asking Obama to issue an executive order banning staged photos of the president, his family, the vice president and Cabinet members eating unhealthy foods, according to the Baltimore Sun.
Though he cuts a lean figure, the president is well known for his poor food choices. He makes high profile forays to a Washington area burger joint, including one with Russian Prime Minister Dmitri Medvedev, and can be regularly seen downing heaps of junk food while traveling around the country.
But Michelle, who promotes healthy eating through her “Let’s Move” kids health initiative, has herself been photographed eating pizza, ice cream, burgers, fries and cookies. She’s a regular at a local Washington pizza parlor, has hit the same burger joint as her husband, and has served all kinds of unhealthy treats and high-calorie meals to White House visitors.

At last year’s White House Super Bowl party, Michelle laid out a spread that included bratwurst, kielbasa, cheeseburgers, deep dish pizza, Snyder’s potato chips and dips, german potato salad,
and ice cream.
She's an actual human being. Good try...

"I don't even know what you'd have other than some hot dogs and some burgers for a Super Bowl party. That's what Super Bowl is, so the message has always been about balance."

Michelle Obama defends Super Bowl menu: Healthy eating about "moderation" - Lynn Sweet

Old 08-23-2012, 09:35 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,121,492 times
Was there this much disdain for Laura Bush or do the anti Obama folks just keeping lowering the bar?

Old 08-23-2012, 09:39 PM

Quote:

and ice cream.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Bloom View Post
She's an actual human being. Good try...

"I don't even know what you'd have other than some hot dogs and some burgers for a Super Bowl party. That's what Super Bowl is, so the message has always been about balance."

Michelle Obama defends Super Bowl menu: Healthy eating about "moderation" - Lynn Sweet
LOLz. I love it when people give unrealistic expectations to other people then look down at them for it.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:43 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
I don't see her "setting policy" or telling anyone what to do. As First Lady you and everyone else just pays more attention to what she says becasue she is First Lady...it's a cycle.

Money follows for changes and awareness because it's being highlighted, not because anyone is being "forced". People are funny when it comes to things they don't like. They go looking for things to get upset about because they can't get upset enough with actual problems I guess.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Not really just wish the economy and real life issues was just as important.......as managing others lives, don't you? Is she a dietitian? I here she's a gardener seems it started when she moved into the WH, not many of us knew about gardening before the Obama's started.
So you want her to suffer just as much as other people then? Or what?

Old 08-23-2012, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Were you able to follow that garden? What was it about 8 feet by 8 feet?
I come from a gardening family it's fun, but also a lot of work and time, not to mention the cost. How many people can actually grow a garden without help and money. Think she tries to make it look oh so easy and with very little money involved. I understand her concept, but like you say 8 feet by 8 feet and hired hands can make gardening look like a breeze.

Heres one persons opinion........Michelle Obama’s Garden and the Problem With Growing Your Own Food | TIME Ideas | TIME.com

If I calculated the dollars I’ve spent tilling, amending, mulching, staking, irrigating, fencing and fertilizing — all in my wildly unsuccessful quest to grow a couple hundred measly pounds of cellulose — I’d probably have to throw myself off a mound of organic manure. And that doesn’t even factor in the hundreds of hours of my labor or the opportunity costs of all the things I could have done with that time such as cooking for my family, for example, or reading to my children.

Once you successfully harvest a crop, you then have to figure out what to do with it, and it’s worth recalling that techniques such as canning, which are being enthusiastically resurrected in the 21st century, are incredibly time consuming and kept women tied, literally and figuratively, to the kitchen. Packaged and frozen foods may seem like a modern blight but, in reality, they freed women and helped them move into the workforce.

Along with our kitchen gardens, we need to keep the pressure on higher-level forces at the root of our national health crisis, too. Bring back recess and playtime in schools. Stop the unfair agricultural subsidies that flood the market with processed food and keep prices for many unhealthy foods artificially low. Without a multi-pronged approach to wellness, our homegrown lettuce won’t amount to a hill of beans.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:50 PM

Quote:
I come from a gardening family it's fun, but also a lot of work and time, not to mention the cost. How many people can actually grow a garden without help and money. Think she tries to make it look oh so easy and with very little money involved. I understand her concept, but like you say 8 feet by 8 feet and hired hands can make gardening look like a breeze.

Heres one persons opinion........Michelle Obama’s Garden and the Problem With Growing Your Own Food | TIME Ideas | TIME.com

If I calculated the dollars I’ve spent tilling, amending, mulching, staking, irrigating, fencing and fertilizing — all in my wildly unsuccessful quest to grow a couple hundred measly pounds of cellulose — I’d probably have to throw myself off a mound of organic manure. And that doesn’t even factor in the hundreds of hours of my labor or the opportunity costs of all the things I could have done with that time such as cooking for my family, for example, or reading to my children.

Once you successfully harvest a crop, you then have to figure out what to do with it, and it’s worth recalling that techniques such as canning, which are being enthusiastically resurrected in the 21st century, are incredibly time consuming and kept women tied, literally and figuratively, to the kitchen. Packaged and frozen foods may seem like a modern blight but, in reality, they freed women and helped them move into the workforce.

Along with our kitchen gardens, we need to keep the pressure on higher-level forces at the root of our national health crisis, too. Bring back recess and playtime in schools. Stop the unfair agricultural subsidies that flood the market with processed food and keep prices for many unhealthy foods artificially low. Without a multi-pronged approach to wellness, our homegrown lettuce won’t amount to a hill of beans.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
So you want her to suffer just as much as other people then? Or what?
What are you saying?? Suffer from what the lack of junk food that her and her husband enjoy while preaching to the rest of us?? Sometimes bad habits that need to be broken start in your own house first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies