Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 04:44 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
And as for the new guidelines, we knew about them last year. About the middle of the school year we had meetings about the changes. If the cafeteria workers at the school your wife worked in only found out Wednesday, then they aren't being told of new information, or the school doesn't find it important to keep up to date on changes to their program.
That woman wasn't employed as a cook last year and I think she learned that new rule at least a month ago when they started having meetings. Nice try, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJW50 View Post
My wife is a teacher and she's seen more kids bring their lunches than ever before. Part of it is probably the new menu and also the increase in lunch prices. She went to a nutrition meeting and the director discussed the new requirements. The director made the decision to go with a six week cycle of menus. They are implementing some the changes that will take affect down the road, now.
It sounds like some local changes have gone into effect at your school. It is just that I want to see happen before those Obama supporters at USDA get a chance to make any more fool decisions about lunch. I am too old to have seen many school meals not prepared at the school, but I did see some outstanding ones while the local district was still in control with nobody from the state capital or the national capital telling them what they could serve.

I really have to wonder if there just might be some kind of subterfuge involved in what they have suggested and do know that their strings attached food and money is being used to force this on local schools. We have to take control of education out of the hands of DC since those people don't care about kids other than to make them what they want them to be.

Old 08-24-2012, 05:12 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
How about not expecting the government to feed your child and pack their lunch?!
It's gone beyond that. Some schools are taking the guidelines a bit too much to heart.
I was in one school where they separated the kids who bought their own lunches and put them at a separate table.

They also encourage all the kids to get the school lunch even if they had their own.
The kids cannot pick and choose what they want. So much food is thrown out untouched

And it's all about the count that goes back to DC for the money.
It's always about the money

Old 08-24-2012, 05:17 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
That woman wasn't employed as a cook last year and I think she learned that new rule at least a month ago when they started having meetings. Nice try, though.
You are the one that said it was sprung on them Wednesday. I don't know what you mean by nice try, the new guidelines have been in the plans for over a year. We has the basic rules LAST year, and the final plan is not very different than what we reviewed LAST year.

Old 08-24-2012, 05:20 PM

Quote:
I read the things you are talking about but my wife, who had been in that school for 39 years till she finally got a bellyful one year ago and retired, talked to one of the cooks about the rules they have had slammed on them just Wednesday.

Your math is very correct but I had to slip in 3 years in the Army of the US between graduation from college and teaching. Also, I had one year after the Army to get a MS degree. I started teaching at 25 and stopped at 53. That would make me three months short of 80 since I am 79 now.

Now remember, my wife talked with one of the cooks and got those rules stacked on her. They all agree with what these mothers are talking about. I am just glad my boys are long out of school because neither of them could subsist long on what the portions today are.

My wife keeps saying "There is nothing you can do about this. You can't fight the federal government". I believe that I can if I can get this message out to enough people. At least I can try. Wait till you see my next "fight city hall" thread.
Quote:
Maybe YOU need to get your story together.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:48 PM

Quote:
You are the one that said it was sprung on them Wednesday. I don't know what you mean by nice try, the new guidelines have been in the plans for over a year. We has the basic rules LAST year, and the final plan is not very different than what we reviewed LAST year.
Go back and read that my wife talked with that friend Wednesday. I did not say that they found out that day since school has been going 2 weeks here now. I believe they would have to have known a bit sooner than that.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Maybe YOU need to get your story together.
Why bother since you read what you want to see? I have never said anything other than that I taught 28 years and that I am 79 now. You are the one who took it for granted that I started teaching when I was 23. The distance from Europe to Kansas was just too far for me to be teaching at 23. it is ok, though.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Why bother since you read what you want to see? I have never said anything other than that I taught 28 years and that I am 79 now. You are the one who took it for granted that I started teaching when I was 23. The distance from Europe to Kansas was just too far for me to be teaching at 23. it is ok, though.
Maybe it is the way you phrased the sentence, but to me it reads that your wife talked to the worked about guidelines that were slammed on them Wednesday. As in the guidelines were put in place Wednesday.

I would have phrased it- " Wednesday my wife spoke to the worker about the new guidelines"

Old 08-24-2012, 08:28 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
Am I the only person who went to a school where you could buy extra food a la carte? If I was still hungry after I ate the school lunch, I'd get back in line and buy an apple or a peanut butter and jelly sandwich or another slice of pizza (or sometimes even a whole second meal).

Old 08-24-2012, 08:30 PM

32,075 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:
It certainly is a farce but who is at the bottom of it all? Michelle knows that we have too many just plain fat kids but she wants to attack the problem from the standpoint of food rather than physical exercise for kids. She is not wrong but the USDA has gone too far because they have the power to do so.
Healthy eating and exercise go together. You can't lose weight by doing just one of those. A lot of schools have PE only once a week now because academics are more important and have taken it's place. So the kids don't get a whole lot of exercise at school. And with today's technology how many actually go out and play anymore. And these kids desperately need the exercise but what can schools do about that. So at least change the food that schools provide and have more healthy menus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies