Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2012, 10:05 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
The IBO stresses an overwhelming prioritization of their political agenda over actual world class academic rigor.
I'm sorry, but that's a lie.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:08 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
Quote:
In all seriousness? My kids and many like them took 12 or more AP classes and exams in high school. There are no limits on how many AP classes a qualified student can take. Some students start taking AP classes as early as 9th grade if they've been accelerated academically or have a high Talent Search (ACT/SAT taken in 6th, 7th, or 8th grade) score. More on Talent Search:
Northwestern University's Midwest Academic Talent Search :: Northwestern University's Midwest Academic Talent Search

How many additional AP classes fit into an IB student's schedule?
Of course there are exceptional students who take many AP exams. One of my best childhood friends took the AP calculus exam in 8th grade (although he'd skipped a grade, so it was really like he was taking it in 7th grade). I took (and passed with mostly 5s and a 4 or two) 8 AP exams. I think the friend I mentioned above was the only person in my graduating class of 500 who took more than me (although I could be wrong - there were a lot of gifted students at my high school).

About 18% of US students attempt an AP exam in high school and many of them don't pass any (the overall fail rate for AP exams is something like 45%). The average US student takes 0 AP exams.

As to IB students, if an IB student can take and pass with 6s and 7s 4 HL exams (which all the IB students I've ever known did), he can sign up to take a few AP exams and easily pass them too (and many do). IB is not a hindrance to getting into college or for accumulating college credit prior to enrollment.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:09 AM

3,179 posts, read 3,166,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sci Fi Fan View Post
Perhaps this is because I merely skimmed over your two links, but at no point do I find any empirical evidence to support your claim that the International Baccalaureate is detrimental -- the closest I find is that it is costly. But IB students also perform far better on SATs and in colleges, so I still don't see your point here.
You don't see a community divided, neighbors not speaking to neighbors, children not allowed to play with the children of IB opposers, car keyings, mailbox bashings, death threats, teacher intimidation and a whole host of nasty social interactions within the community because of IB as detrimental to the community at large? Do more than skim.

And I challenge you to provide me with one, scholarly, peer-reviewed report that supports your statement:

Quote:
But IB students also perform far better on SATs and in colleges
Since you seem to like analogies, that's like saying every child who ate broccoli every other Thursday for two years scores better on the SAT and performs better in college compared to those who didn't.

Prove it.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sci Fi Fan View Post
Perhaps this is because I merely skimmed over your two links, but at no point do I find any empirical evidence to support your claim that the International Baccalaureate is detrimental -- the closest I find is that it is costly. But IB students also perform far better on SATs and in colleges, so I still don't see your point here.
Yes, they do perform better. The point (apparently invented by Michelle Bachmann) is to portray the IB as a communist, fascist, Muslim, atheist CULT, where children are brainwashed into hating America. It is ridiculous beyond belief.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:14 AM

3,179 posts, read 3,166,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Stating someone else's opinion is a "lie" is really not very constructive, especially when you refuse to answer my question regarding private vs. state IB school. I, personally, have to consider your input to this thread completely baseless, irrelevant and nothing more than a rude distraction.

Either prove that IBO's Global Engage is just an imaginary, non-existent educational agenda, or apologize.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:15 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
So, everyone who wants to improve things is a fasict?
Improve things? According to whose idea of what said "improvement" would be?

When a political agenda is IBO's overriding goal and they force students into a groupthink mindset in order to participate in their program, then yes, it's fascism. Forcing one's political will on anyone else is oppression and fascism. It's no more acceptable when IBO does it as it was when Mussolini/Franco/etc. did it.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:17 AM

Quote:
It's in their mission statement.

And they cleverly omit what their conception of what "a better world" is.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
Stating someone else's opinion is a "lie" is really not very constructive, especially when you refuse to answer my question regarding private vs. state IB school. I, personally, have to consider your input to this thread completely baseless, irrelevant and nothing more than a rude distraction.

Either prove that IBO's Global Engage is just an imaginary, non-existent educational agenda, or apologize.
No, that is not how it works: semper necessitas probandi incumbit ei qui agit - "the necessity of proof always lies with the person who lays charges."

You should be proving that your claims are factual, and so far you have failed to do so. All you are doing is slinging mud, and accusing IB of being a a communist, fascist, Muslim, atheist CULT. Prove it, or zip it.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
As to IB students, if an IB student can take and pass with 6s and 7s 4 HL exams (which all the IB students I've ever known did), he can sign up to take a few AP exams and easily pass them too (and many do).
IB... only 4 HL exams for IB diploma students.

Right there you're admitting IB is inferior. One must take additional AP courses and/or exams in order to yield any more than IB's very limited number of potential credit hours.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Improve things? According to whose idea of what said "improvement" would be?
Educating kids is improvement.

Quote:
When a political agenda is IBO's overriding goal and they force students into a groupthink mindset in order to participate in their program, then yes, it's fascism. Forcing one's political will on anyone else is oppression and fascism. It's no more acceptable when IBO does it as it was when Mussolini/Franco/etc. did it.
Either prove your claims, or admit your invented the claims. I went to IB, and I have no clue what the heck you are talking about with those comments. It does not sound like you even know what fascism is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies