Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 05:08 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,119,861 times

Advertisements

Hard to say. Most conservatives today seem oblivious that spending can be good. A deficit isn't a bad thing in of itself if we are spending on things like research, infrastructure, etc. but that hasn't necessarily been the case. I think we would be better off, but how much is hard to say? Then again, Gore could have completely *&%ed things up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2012, 05:32 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,574,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Put another way, is Bush responsible for our national debt being this high by getting us into two unfunded wars and cutting taxes at the same time? Sounds like a form of voodoo economics to me, but I sometimes speculate on what direction this country would have gone with 8 years of Gore rather than George W. "I'm a war president! I'm a war president! I'm a war president!" Bush.
if gore had won we would have been attack with a nuke already, osama would still be alive and probably and probably we would be in the middle of world war III. BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR!

Old 08-25-2012, 05:39 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Gore would have gone into Iraq or watched the euro become the new reserve currency. Nobody would have let that happen IMO. Obama, Clinton, Gore, Kerry they all would have done the same if they were in the "big chair" at the time.
Seriously? Even Bush 41 was opposed to the war in Iraq.

Old 08-25-2012, 05:40 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,788,485 times
If Al Gore became president instead of George Bush, then there would have been a Democratic President and a Republican Congress, and some real hard feelings from Republicans with them believing that Al Gore gained the presidency through a law suit and a technicality (hanging chads). This would have resulted in a deadlock similar to what is occurring now.

I have no doubt that Afghanistan would have happened because the Afghanis were so reluctant to hand over bin Laden. However, the resulting investigation of 9-11 would have been influenced by Republicans to have it show the links between Clinton/Gore and the events leading up to the attacks.

The tax cuts would have had more of an emphasis on the middle class because I don't believe Congress had the votes to override a Presidential veto; so, the Republicans would tailor the cuts because they wanted it bad enough. Thus, there would have been a tax cut during a war.

I don't believe that the Medicare drug reform would have happened. There would be no way that the Republicans would give that "victory" to a Democratic President.

There would still have been a deficit, not as large as it eventually became under President Bush, but still very large.

Sidenote: a really intriguing thought is that President Bush appointed two Supreme Court Justices. The Supreme Court would be markedly different if a President Gore nominated the two justices and Congress consented.

Old 08-25-2012, 05:43 PM

2,539 posts, read 4,087,650 times
Try 30 years of give always from democrat rule in the house and senate.

Old 08-25-2012, 05:48 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
Quote:
Put another way, is Bush responsible for our national debt being this high by getting us into two unfunded wars and cutting taxes at the same time? Sounds like a form of voodoo economics to me, but I sometimes speculate on what direction this country would have gone with 8 years of Gore rather than George W. "I'm a war president! I'm a war president! I'm a war president!" Bush.
It is Barack H. Obama, that is responsible for the increases in our debt under his watch and no one else!

Old 08-25-2012, 05:55 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Given the blood and tons of $$$ Johnson and Nixon tossed away in Vietnam for no good reason I think the precedent was set quite some time ago, Bush just got sold the same false "if we don't fight them over there we'll have to fight them over here" bill of goods..

Old 08-25-2012, 05:57 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,119,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
It is Barack H. Obama, that is responsible for the increases in our debt under his watch and no one else!
With that logic then Bush is responsible for the awful downturn that happened under his watch....

Old 08-25-2012, 05:59 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
And our country's problems can be fixed overnight.

Old 08-25-2012, 06:06 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,134,135 times
Quote:
Seems your brain is a little screwed up there, Boy!!!!! We wouldn't have this horrormungus debt if Comrade Barrack Houssain bin O'bummer weren't elected into office. This idiot has put more debt on the shoulders of the taxpayers then all the presidents combined since George Washington. And, it's the brain dead idiots like you that put him in office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies