Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 05:46 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times

Advertisements

There are thousands of stories like this one, but this one is really sad. How many otherwise productive lives have been and will be ruined by our insane fixation on the war on drugs?

In the spring of 2000, a bicycle cop in Arlington, Virginia stopped 19-year-old Lundy Khoy and asked her if she was carrying any drugs. "Having been taught to trust the police," Khoy writes of the experience, "I answered honestly." She told the cop that she had seven tabs of ecstasy, and that she planned to sell them to pay back some money she took from her mom.

In Virginia, possesion with intent to sell is an aggrevated felony.

"On the advice of my lawyer and feeling that a trial would increase my family's suffering and embarrassment," Khoy writes, "I pled guilty and was sentenced to five years in jail."
Khoy served three months and was released for good behavior. She moved back in with her parents, got a job, and enrolled in community college. "I began to accept, forgive, and believe in myself," writes Khoy, who is now 31. She also completed four years of supervised probation without missing appointments or failing drug tests.

read the rest here;

Lundy Khoy Barely Escaped Pol Pot's Purge; Now the U.S. Is Threatening to Deport Her for a Decade-Old Drug Charge - Hit & Run : Reason.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 05:51 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
A confessed drug dealer is a victim? To pay back money she (took) as in stole from her mom?

Old 08-28-2012, 06:13 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,003,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
A confessed drug dealer is a victim? To pay back money she (took) as in stole from her mom?
Lord have mercy this one tops the cake. Like you say we got drug dealing thieves who are now just po widdle victims who also aren't even smart enought to not trust cops and admit to selling to begin with. Must be a liberal drug dealer there.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:17 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,709,639 times
Sorry Roadking, I can't even hang with you on this one

Even though I'm dead set against the war on Marijuana, I've seen to much evidence of the damage Ecstasy can do. And if she was dumb enough to actually tell the cop she was getting ready to sell it, it may be best to leave her in jail for her own protection...

Old 08-28-2012, 06:24 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,935,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
There are thousands of stories like this one, but this one is really sad. How many otherwise productive lives have been and will be ruined by our insane fixation on the war on drugs?

In the spring of 2000, a bicycle cop in Arlington, Virginia stopped 19-year-old Lundy Khoy and asked her if she was carrying any drugs. "Having been taught to trust the police," Khoy writes of the experience, "I answered honestly." She told the cop that she had seven tabs of ecstasy, and that she planned to sell them to pay back some money she took from her mom.

In Virginia, possesion with intent to sell is an aggrevated felony.

"On the advice of my lawyer and feeling that a trial would increase my family's suffering and embarrassment," Khoy writes, "I pled guilty and was sentenced to five years in jail."
Khoy served three months and was released for good behavior. She moved back in with her parents, got a job, and enrolled in community college. "I began to accept, forgive, and believe in myself," writes Khoy, who is now 31. She also completed four years of supervised probation without missing appointments or failing drug tests.

read the rest here;

Lundy Khoy Barely Escaped Pol Pot's Purge; Now the U.S. Is Threatening to Deport Her for a Decade-Old Drug Charge - Hit & Run : Reason.com
The only thing this young woman is a victim of, is her own stupidity...

Old 08-28-2012, 06:24 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Good for the Obama administration for pursueing deportation of those peddling ecstasy.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:29 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,442,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post

Have to agree with you on this. People make their own stupidity a reality.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Yes. Removing an educated productive person from society is wasteful.

And it didn't say she stole anything. Your extreme bias is obvious.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
So stupid people should be in jail?

Old 08-28-2012, 06:37 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,935,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
So stupid people should be in jail?
If they are peddling narcotics and then on top of that are dumb enough to tell a cop, then yeah, they should be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies