Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 01:29 PM

569 posts, read 671,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayneinspain View Post
I haven't the slightest idea.

My daughter, definitely. Every creak this 91-year-old house makes is automatically a "ghost" to her. We have a few birds nesting under an eave, she knows it...but still, a fluttering or scratching is supernatural. Poor kid has panic disorder.

If a sage smudging helps her feel more at ease, I'm cool with it. Do I really think it makes a difference in a supernatural kind of way? Nope. But that's what I think of most rituals, religious or not. It, along with spoken words (incantation, prayer, poem) can bring on a certain mindset (focus, relaxation, etc).

So smudging, like simply burning an incense one likes, can lead to a feeling of calm and peace. Just another form of meditation.

And I'm all for that.

We might try it with white shower caps and see if it has an effect.
That made me laugh! Post a vid if you do!

Old 08-28-2012, 01:56 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Gawd damn, the wack-a-loons really are coming out of the woodwork. Progressives must be gettin' scared, seeing as how the appointed one is down in the polls, and has one of the worst approval ratings of any president. Clinton was right....It's the economy, stupid.

Old 08-28-2012, 02:26 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Heres some of what mormons believe

What Latter-day Saints (Mormons) Believe - Beliefnet.com

Old 08-28-2012, 03:00 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,241,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_IA View Post
Did the Mormons behead seventeen people for dancing?
I think Mormons executed a whole wagon train in the past. Women and kids also after the people agreed to surrender.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:20 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,738,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidgetsmidget View Post
That made me laugh! Post a vid if you do!
It's a deal.

Old 08-28-2012, 05:07 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPSGuy View Post
Go ask the Native American's about how peaceful the Mormons are.
Considering our collective national history with Native Americans, I think its highly hypocritical to even try and point this out.

Old 08-28-2012, 05:10 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
religion is a choice... so let that be clear...

but new order mormons are mormons who do not believe in the church but feel family pressure either from parents or spouse to remain upstanding in the faith.. Some of them seek to anonymously expose the secretive aspects of the faith so that people know EVERYTHING about it. Mormon missionaries do not discuss practices in the temple, and many people that have joined the church have said that if they had known about the weirdness of the temple and the in-depth doctrines that come as you progress into the faith.. they wouldn't have joined in the first place.

exposing happenings in the temple or exercising your opinion of the faith based on those happenings is not hate.. hate is to say I would never have anything to do with someone that's mormon.. or I hate mormons.. fact is some of the nicest people are mormon, they just happen to believe in cultish rituals and their faith (which is a choice) is rather bizarre and secretive not only inside the temple, but financially. Most major religions release financial statements etc.. but the LDS church does not..
just some things many people have brought up over the years.. they are valid concerns and valid feelings..
if it's wierd.. it's weird.. nobody says you cannot believe in it.. that would be unconstitutional.. but I certainly don't feel comfortable voting for someone that has secretly sworn allegiance to joseph smith and the Mormon Church inside a secret temple with a secret ritual....
Great post. Especially everything that is bold. The defenders of Mormonism here skirt a lot of the uncomfortable issues, and they make it seem like what they think and do is just like what any Protestant sect does. We know this NOT the case. I also agree about their approach. One time, I was parking my car and, as I exited, two white shirts on bikes cheerily asked me "have you hear about the Gospel of Jesus Christ?" Again, somebody in the Philippines or Portugal might foolishly give a listen if they are already Catholic. My response: "I'm Catholic. I'm not interested." They immediately rode off. Correct, some of the nicest people are Mormon. But, when you look through it, doesn't it seem kind of Stepford? I once caught the free LDS church van from SLC airport to Temple Square due to a 5 hour layover. The woman was syrupy sweet and I was thinking "You're NOT Mrs. Cunningham on 'Happy Days,' so are you for real?" Lastly, I too feel uncomfortable voting for someone that is a member of this religious organization - one with secretive aspects and where its "good ole boy" ruling members look like the grown-up versions of corn-fed boys from the heartland.

Old 08-28-2012, 05:37 PM

1,230 posts, read 1,039,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Great post. Especially everything that is bold. The defenders of Mormonism here skirt a lot of the uncomfortable issues, and they make it seem like what they think and do is just like what any Protestant sect does. We know this NOT the case. I also agree about their approach. One time, I was parking my car and, as I exited, two white shirts on bikes cheerily asked me "have you hear about the Gospel of Jesus Christ?" Again, somebody in the Philippines or Portugal might foolishly give a listen if they are already Catholic. My response: "I'm Catholic. I'm not interested." They immediately rode off. Correct, some of the nicest people are Mormon. But, when you look through it, doesn't it seem kind of Stepford? I once caught the free LDS church van from SLC airport to Temple Square due to a 5 hour layover. The woman was syrupy sweet and I was thinking "You're NOT Mrs. Cunningham on 'Happy Days,' so are you for real?" Lastly, I too feel uncomfortable voting for someone that is a member of this religious organization - one with secretive aspects and where its "good ole boy" ruling members look like the grown-up versions of corn-fed boys from the heartland.
I agree and especially for someone who is a High Priest, as Romney is, and I would extend that to a Priest, Reverend, Grand Poopah, Church Official, etc., of any religion.

We have to consider the separation of church and state as well as the very real possibility of divided loyalty. Mormon High Priests take some pretty strong oaths of first allegiance to the church/corporation. We do not need the tentacles of any other entity with an agenda in the soup- things are tainted enough already. And, believe it, the LDS has an agenda for this world- and the "next".

Old 08-28-2012, 05:59 PM

37,212 posts, read 19,210,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
No. but Liberals want everyone who isnt a liberal to fear Mormans so the republicans dont win the whitehouse.

and this thread exists because Liberals CANNOT talk about their successes in improving the economy.
We Liberals CAN spell "Mormon" correctly, and the economy is a great deal stronger than when W broke it and ran off.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:42 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,906,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
No. but Liberals want everyone who isnt a liberal to fear Mormans so the republicans dont win the whitehouse.

and this thread exists because Liberals CANNOT talk about their successes in improving the economy.
Agreed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies