Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 05:21 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,924,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
He was able to drive - like I said - his brakes failed - that isn't just what i got from that story - I live in the L.A. area and the radio stations have been reporting to day that the LAPD concluded that this was an accident and no charges will be filed - if no charges are filed against a licensed driver for an incident that injured several people - then its pretty clear that the man's brakes failed just as he said.
The report also said he was reversing onto the sidewalk instead of out into the road.

He was the one that said his brakes failed. That was not corroborated by the police.

I am glad that the LAPD has not filed charges although it remains to be seen whether any civil suits are filed by the people injured. But, given his great age and taking into account the nature of the accident, it is fair to question whether he should be driving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 05:34 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Seriously. If someone is impaired for driving to the extent that they can be a danger to other road users and to pedestrians then they should not be allowed to drive. I would have thought that was obvious.
I agree - however we aren't discussing someone who was impaired for driving.

This man had a clean driving record and this was a freak accident.

Old 08-30-2012, 11:25 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
My other family member is 68 and wha she needs to stop driving....almost killed me..but the state of Florida keeps renewing her license..
She may have been a poor driver all her life. I'm not saying that's the case, but I've seen it in many others.

Old 08-31-2012, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
I agree - however we aren't discussing someone who was impaired for driving.

This man had a clean driving record and this was a freak accident.
It happens. I backed into a light pole when I was 19.

Old 08-31-2012, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Do we take the licenses of people on the phone who have accidents? I think we should.
Treat it exactly like DWI. Texting is killing just as many as DWI.

Old 08-31-2012, 02:22 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
How old is too old to drive? The driver of this car was 101 years old. He hit a bunch of kids while backing out of a grocery store parking lot.

Police: 100-year-old driver hits 11 near LA school | General Headlines | Comcast

Police: 100-year-old driver hits 11 near LA school

LOS ANGELES — The screams of women and children didn't cause a 100-year-old driver to stop as he backed his large powder blue Cadillac onto a sidewalk across from an elementary school and hit 11 people, including nine children.

So people began pounding on his windows screaming for him to stop, a witness said
It's not a matter of age. It's a matter of physical and mental condition. Around age 70 or 75 they should do further test for peripheral vision, night vision, reaction time, and possibly other test. Personally, I think everyone should have to take the driving and written test every 4 years and make getting a license harder. My father-in-law voluntarily turned in his license but not many others are willing to acknowledge their physical or mental limitations.

In the case above, I feel sorry for him and his family. Thank goodness no one was killed.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:02 AM

24,417 posts, read 23,070,474 times
I think yearly or bi yearly driving tests should be mandatory at a certain age, 75 is reasonable. But I see so many retarded drivers much younger. And we're finally putting limitations on young drivers under the age of 18 so thats a good start.
If somebody is involved in an accident while texting or on a cell phone, take away their cell phone service for 3 months. Put them on a no sign up data registry. They can still drive, just no talky.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:03 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,480,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Treat it exactly like DWI. Texting is killing just as many as DWI.

Exactly, do ya think the dead guy realy cares how you killed him?

Old 08-31-2012, 10:59 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
It happens. I backed into a light pole when I was 19.
Insurance companies have known for a long time that the age 19 - 25 male drivers cost them more money than any other group although they have to have the best reaction times. You were just entering the dangerous group.

Old 08-31-2012, 02:00 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Hearing tests wouldn't be a bad idea either.

sorry, hearing is not required to be able to drive. I know of 7 deaf people that all have drivers licenses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies