Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2012, 12:51 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,430,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
The "conservatives" already forced the Mormons to accept their definition of marriage. Don't think you are any better.

The "mormons" don't have 50%+ people on their side, and growing.

Each child born today is one more person statistically more likely to vote FOR equality 20 years hence.

Every death of a boomer or boomer predecessor will be one less person who is statistically less likely to vote AGAINST equality 20 years hence.

Tick tock, "social conservatives," this is one battle in a long list of embarassing battles from women's suffrage to slavery, segregation to interracial marriage that you WILL lose.

America is already surrounded with gay marriage to the north and the south, as well as Western Europe.

Pretty soon conservatives will only find solace in their natural allies - the third world and the middle east! Lay down with dogs, wake up with fleas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 02:14 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,052,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
When politicians come out and explicitly state they will block CFA from opening in their jurisdiction because they don't like what its owner has to say on particular issues, then yes there is a real threat of censorship.
Which even those of us who boycotted CFA did not support.

We're not trying to bar CFA from their "freedom of speech" or their ability to give money to hate groups, we're just simply stating that we won't eat there because of their decision to do so.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:23 PM

354 posts, read 856,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
The "conservatives" already forced the Mormons to accept their definition of marriage. Don't think you are any better.
Polygomy in early Mormonism in comparison to Gay Marriage is like comparing apples to oranges and it would need its own thread to do it justice. But one major differance is that Gays are completely integrated into society and are all over the country. When the Mormon Church banned polygomy most mormons lived in only a few states and had been marginalyzed by the relious intollerance of the time.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:27 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,273,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinArmageddons View Post
Which even those of us who boycotted CFA did not support.

We're not trying to bar CFA from their "freedom of speech" or their ability to give money to hate groups, we're just simply stating that we won't eat there because of their decision to do so.
Yeah sure. Tell it to the armchair fascists here who are delighted with Moreno's pledge to keep CFA out of his ward.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:38 PM

2,930 posts, read 2,226,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unounehana View Post
You do realize there was no real threat of censorship, right? You can't resist something that doesn't exist.
Boycotts are a form of censorship, using economic means to achieve a desired outcome. Some work, some don't. This boycott by the gay community only served to make Chick-Fil-A more popular, and put an enormous amount of money in the company coffers.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:45 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,801,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddmhughes View Post
Polygomy in early Mormonism in comparison to Gay Marriage is like comparing apples to oranges and it would need its own thread to do it justice. But one major differance is that Gays are completely integrated into society and are all over the country. When the Mormon Church banned polygomy most mormons lived in only a few states and had been marginalyzed by the relious intollerance of the time.

It's not going to happen. We have our heterosexual traditions you have yours. Should I quote again what are your homosexual traditions?

Old 09-04-2012, 02:52 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,180,203 times
Quote:
Yeah sure. Tell it to the armchair fascists here who are delighted with Moreno's pledge to keep CFA out of his ward.
Composition Fallacy.

Just because some people are delighted with Moreno doesn't mean that all pro-gay marriage persons are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sol11 View Post
Boycotts are a form of censorship, using economic means to achieve a desired outcome. Some work, some don't.
My "desired outcome" is to prevent my money from going to the hands of FRC or Exodus... and with CFA, it's working. I don't give them my money, and CFA can't use my money to give to these organization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sol11 View Post
This boycott by the gay community only served to make Chick-Fil-A more popular, and put an enormous amount of money in the company coffers.
That's because a vocal minority was being stupid (read: Moreno) as well as large groups of people trying to make it seem like the boycott was because of religion and religion alone.

When in fact, a majority of the "boycotters" are people who merely choose not to eat at CFA and move on with their lives.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:54 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,052,074 times
Quote:
There's idiots in every group.

I.e.: How young earth creationists make christians look stupid.

Old 09-04-2012, 03:09 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,273,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowsCalibrator View Post
Composition Fallacy.

Just because some people are delighted with Moreno doesn't mean that all pro-gay marriage persons are.
Of course I made no such assertion but rather referred to a specific group of people taking a specific position as a counterargument to someone who actually did make an unqualified claim. So I'll see your "Fallacy of Composition" and raise you twinArmageddon's Fallacy of Division.

Old 09-04-2012, 03:50 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,180,203 times
Quote:
Of course I made no such assertion but rather referred to a specific group of people taking a specific position as a counterargument to someone who actually did make an unqualified claim. So I'll see your "Fallacy of Composition" and raise you twinArmageddon's Fallacy of Division.
Ah, but most people who've stated on this board that they are boycotting CFA have stated that it was because of the donations to FRC and Exodus. That's a specific group of people for which Sollux and myself are a part of. And we reference it because we can easily go back and link to these posts.

At least on this board, the majority of "boycotters" don't give a crap about the views of the owner whether about religion or gay marriage. We just care that profit money was used to provide donations to FRC and Exodus International.

It's not a fallacy, it's a fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies