Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 08:17 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
It's a tough case. No wonder the Supreme Court wouldn't touch it. This has the potential to define law.
Slaveowners forced pregnant women to lie face down in a depression in the ground while they were whipped. They knew the value of a life. Beat hell out of the mother, but save that baby. I think it all goes back to treating women like breed stock.

Ark. Lawmakers Consider Banning Smoking by Pregnant Women | The Partnership
I'm going to make the rash assumption that nobody is introducing legislation to criminalize smoking for sexually active men?

Smoking fathers link to most common child cancer | University News : University News : The University of Western Australia

Old 09-01-2012, 08:27 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
Quote:
It's a tough case. No wonder the Supreme Court wouldn't touch it. This has the potential to define law.
Slaveowners forced pregnant women to lie face down in a depression in the ground while they were whipped. They knew the value of a life. Beat hell out of the mother, but save that baby. I think it all goes back to treating women like breed stock.

Ark. Lawmakers Consider Banning Smoking by Pregnant Women | The Partnership
Quote:
State Rep. Bob Mathis (D-Hot Springs) said that fellow lawmakers should study whether the health risks facing children born to smokers warrants a ban. Gov. Mike Huckabee said the proposal made sense, at least from a health perspective.
Looks like it is bipartisan. The nanny state Dems and the pro-life Repubs.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:27 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
Quote:
Yeah, but was he commiting suicide at the time? Was he in a "right frame of mind" while killing the baby and also, killing himself? Doesn't sound like an equality issue to me. Sounds like mom went bananas ad tried to kill herself. They put her in a mental ward after they took the baby out.
I'll agree with you here, the state is going to waste resources trying to prove that she was trying to kill the baby instead of herself.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:33 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
It goes to the same law, of jailing pregnant drug addicts, and also charging women with child abuse, if the baby is born addicted to drugs. So, where do you draw the line?

Old 09-01-2012, 08:56 AM

876 posts, read 708,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
I'll agree with you here, the state is going to waste resources trying to prove that she was trying to kill the baby instead of herself.
It doesn't matter. If she admits that she tried to kill herself, then she admits to trying to kill her baby. It was an intentional suidide and infanticide. A crack head smoking crack while pregnant is stupid, but it would be hard to show that her intent was to kill her baby. Someone that admits to trying to kill herself while pregnant easily shows her guilt in trying to kill her baby.

Old 09-01-2012, 12:25 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
This is a terrible and wrongheaded case, but I have a hypothetical scenario:

Consider baby daddy and baby mommy.

Baby mommy drinks and smokes excessively, and baby is born with multiple health issues entailing very expensive ongoing care (fetal alcohol syndrome, low birth weight, etc).

Mommy seeks and gets a child support order on daddy, who is now on the hook to pay for baby's ongoing astronomical healthcare costs.

Why should daddy pay for problems caused by mommy...over the entire pregnancy?

Old 09-01-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Looks like it is bipartisan. The nanny state Dems and the pro-life Repubs.

I believe people are entitled to create as many kids as they want, but shouldn't be allowed to raise kids without liability insurance.

I spent my first six months in hospital (and then was handed off to alcoholics who were friends of my father) because mommy was a druggie, and I'm still sore about it.

Old 09-01-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I'm going to make the rash assumption that nobody is introducing legislation to criminalize smoking for sexually active men?

Smoking fathers link to most common child cancer | University News : University News : The University of Western Australia

Requiring parents to carry liability insurance might help...smoking fathers wouldn't be able to afford the insurance they'd need to raise kids.

Old 09-01-2012, 12:41 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
The state Supreme Court has refused to review charges of attempted feticide and murder against Bei Bei Shuai. Just before Christmas 2010, Shuai, who was thirty-three weeks pregnant, attempted to kill herself by consuming rat poison after her boyfriend, father of the baby, abruptly announced he was married and abandoned her to return to his family. Rushed to the hospital, she had a Caesarean section, but her newborn daughter died after a few days of life

Update on Bei Bei Shuai: Bad News From Indiana | The Nation#

Update:
After so adamantly refusing to drop the case, or even allowing Shuai bail, why would the prosecutors now be interested in offering a plea? Could it be that they had been looking for a case to set a precedent for charging pregnant women who "murder" their fetuses in utero, and are determined to get a feticide example into the books one way or another?
Bei Bei Shuai Rejects Plea Deal: She "Wants To Clear Her Name" | RH Reality Check

Folks, this is a pretty important case.

While Shuai was embarking on a journey into bereavement that continues to this day, the Indianapolis authorities were also setting out, albeit along a very different path. On 14 March last year Shuai was arrested and taken into custody in the high-security Marion County prison, where she was held for the next 435 days, charged with murdering her foetus and attempted feticide. If convicted of the murder count she faces a sentence of 45 years to life.

Bei Bei Shuai is at the sharp end of the creeping criminalisation of pregnancy across America. Women who lose their unborn babies – whether in cases of maternal drug addiction or in Shuai's case a failed suicide attempt – are increasingly finding themselves accused of murder.

Indiana prosecuting Chinese woman for suicide attempt that killed her foetus | World news | guardian.co.uk
She should be convicted for stupidity.

If you are going to do this, for GOD'S SAKE either A) do not be so inept that you are unsuccessful at killing yourself, or B) If you are so inept, for GOD'S SAKE don't admit you were trying to kill yourself.

First of all rat poison is a bad choice, because we are not rats. There are tons and tons of other chemicals that will do a much better job. But again, she was stupid. I wondered if she was ever suspicious why he never invited her over to his apartment to watch Jackie Chan movies. I guess this is just another good argument for getting married before having babies.

Tough lesson.

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-01-2012, 01:09 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
This is scary stuff. So many women have miscarriages for various reasons and everyone of them are going to be investigated as a crime if the Republicans like Paul Ryan get their way. The pro-life movement has been working towards thie goal of criminalizing women who don't carry to full term and they are getting closer and closer to getting their agenda through the court system. This case is a prime example.

if a woman miscarries for reasons beyond her control then that is part of life or miscarries because of a habit that is legal. but if she tries to miscarry on purpose such as the woman in the story, then why shouldnt she be prosecuted as men do if they committed a crime against a pregnant woman.

your post almost looks like it is to say that there should be dual standards for both men and women concerning a miscarriage.

if a man kicks a woman in the stomach and causes her to miscarry or a woman causes herself to miscarry by using rat poison, why should the crime be different?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies