Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2012, 11:06 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,541,384 times

Advertisements

Haven't been able to watch the network news lately. How has the television coverage of the aftermath of hurricane Isaac been covered, if at all? Currently many thousands are still without power, cool box shelters have been set up in parts of New Orleans which is still without power more than a week after the storm, and there are still many homes under water. What I want to know is how are they covering this compared to hurricane Katrina and if they're hardly covering it at all, do you think it's because A Democrat is president instead of a Republican? Keep in mind, I'm not blaming Obama for anything that's happened with the storm. I'm asking if the press is limiting or not even covering the story possibly because they favor Obama and don't want to ask Obama the same questions they asked Bush after Katrina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012, 11:22 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,348,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Haven't been able to watch the network news lately. How has the television coverage of the aftermath of hurricane Isaac been covered, if at all? Currently many thousands are still without power, cool box shelters have been set up in parts of New Orleans which is still without power more than a week after the storm, and there are still many homes under water. What I want to know is how are they covering this compared to hurricane Katrina and if they're hardly covering it at all, do you think it's because A Democrat is president instead of a Republican? Keep in mind, I'm not blaming Obama for anything that's happened with the storm. I'm asking if the press is limiting or not even covering the story possibly because they favor Obama and don't want to ask Obama the same questions they asked Bush after Katrina.
They've handled it like every other Category 1 hurricane. Lots of talk before hand, quite after. Not much to interest those who watch for big headlines, sensationalism, death and destruction.

Katrina was a Category 5, a big difference, for after coverage.

Last edited by plannine; 09-02-2012 at 11:33 PM..

Old 09-02-2012, 11:38 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,206,697 times
The chemtrailers in the other thread here say their secret command & control base in Area 7 steered the storm towards New Orleans to cause discredit to Romney.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
They've handled it like every other Category 1 hurricane. Lots of talk before hand, quite after. Not much to interest those who watch for big headlines, sensationalism, death and destruction.

Katrina was a Category 5, a big difference, for after coverage.
Sorry that tens of thousands of homes still underwater and hundreds of thousands of homes without power is dull for you. I'd rather deal with a fast moving catagory 5 storm (Katrina wasn't cat 5 when it hit) than a very slow moving cat 1 or tropical storm.

Old 09-03-2012, 12:16 AM

4,002 posts, read 3,906,961 times
I remember when Katrina hit Louisiana ... it was on the news for "months"

I remember when Ike hit Texas ... it was on the news for about 10 days.

I came to Southeast Texas from Montana 3 months after Ike .. street signs were scarce and Crystal Beach was a wreck .. they were still combing the area for bodies ...

The seawall saved the Galveston elite, but wiped out everyone else on the east side of the island ...

I'm not real sure about Louisiana ... I don't know what it is about that place that causes it to beg for so much attention. Texas, with Ike, and Mississippi with Katrina, seemingly shrugged it all off and got down to the business of fixing what was broken and getting on with their lives .. whereas, Louisiana .. complained and whined and complained some more ... What's up with that?

When Ike hit Southeast Texas, there were portions of the state that went 3 months without power .. and yet we didn't hear about it non stop day after day after day ...

Even Florida, a state hit by more hurricanes than any other state in the union, doesn't complain as much as Louisiana does ..

Is it that Louisiana's sense of entitlement is so strong that it can't pull itself up by it's own bootstraps any more? .. Has Louisiana become so far removed from the American spirit that it has to suckle on everyones last sympathy in order to get what it thinks it wants?

Is Louisiana not capable of carrying it's own anymore? ..

Old 09-03-2012, 12:40 AM

No, that's New Orleans. When hurricane Rita hit not long after Katrina, whole towns were wiped off the map. I've lived in Lafayette, Louisiana since 1969 except for the 8 years I was in the Navy. Been through many hurricanes and tropical storms. Nothing got the coverage New Orleans got. Personally I believe the press used Katrina and New Orleans to attack GW Bush. That's why I'm asking for a comparison of their coverage of Katrina to Isaac and if some feel their lack of coverage compared to Katrina is because of who occupies the White House and the coming presidential election. Honestly, if John McCain was president at this time, wouldn't the press be hounding him daily on the current flooding and power outages so as to hurt his chance for re-election?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
I remember when Katrina hit Louisiana ... it was on the news for "months"

I remember when Ike hit Texas ... it was on the news for about 10 days.

I came to Southeast Texas from Montana 3 months after Ike .. street signs were scarce and Crystal Beach was a wreck .. they were still combing the area for bodies ...

The seawall saved the Galveston elite, but wiped out everyone else on the east side of the island ...

I'm not real sure about Louisiana ... I don't know what it is about that place that causes it to beg for so much attention. Texas, with Ike, and Mississippi with Katrina, seemingly shrugged it all off and got down to the business of fixing what was broken and getting on with their lives .. whereas, Louisiana .. complained and whined and complained some more ... What's up with that?

When Ike hit Southeast Texas, there were portions of the state that went 3 months without power .. and yet we didn't hear about it non stop day after day after day ...

Even Florida, a state hit by more hurricanes than any other state in the union, doesn't complain as much as Louisiana does ..

Is it that Louisiana's sense of entitlement is so strong that it can't pull itself up by it's own bootstraps any more? .. Has Louisiana become so far removed from the American spirit that it has to suckle on everyones last sympathy in order to get what it thinks it wants?

Is Louisiana not capable of carrying it's own anymore? ..

Old 09-03-2012, 10:02 AM

4,002 posts, read 3,906,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
No, that's New Orleans. When hurricane Rita hit not long after Katrina, whole towns were wiped off the map. I've lived in Lafayette, Louisiana since 1969 except for the 8 years I was in the Navy. Been through many hurricanes and tropical storms. Nothing got the coverage New Orleans got. Personally I believe the press used Katrina and New Orleans to attack GW Bush. That's why I'm asking for a comparison of their coverage of Katrina to Isaac and if some feel their lack of coverage compared to Katrina is because of who occupies the White House and the coming presidential election. Honestly, if John McCain was president at this time, wouldn't the press be hounding him daily on the current flooding and power outages so as to hurt his chance for re-election?
I don't know about the "who's in office" angle here, because of what I'm seeing with regard to Isaac now .. The power is out, the power is out, the power is out .. on and on it goes. It was the same with Katrina.

Louisiana's got this "thing" going on these days ... Yes ... We know the power is out. It's as if it's not good enough that Entergy, among others, aren't working hard enough or fast enough (according to the news media) ...

I've seen the convoys .. moving east along interstate 10 .. one Entergy truck after the next .. I counted 75 of them all in a row the other day, heading to Louisiana .. this is stuff that the MSM never shows you .. they would rather seemingly harp over and over again about how the power is out instead of showing just what these utilities are doing to correct the situation.

heh .. and Isaac has moved on .. yet just this morning .. the Weather channel, among others, are still going on and on about poor ole Louisiana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies