Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 10:39 AM

371 posts, read 443,492 times

Advertisements

LABOR DAY: Today is the day we remember those who fought for fair labor laws. Keep in mind, there was an actual WAR, fought right here in the USA , less than 100 years ago, between corporate power and workers.

If you don't know the history, I suggest you spend a few minutes reading.

Ludlow Massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
The Ludlow Massacre was an attack by the Colorado National Guard and Colorado Fuel & Iron Company camp guards on a tent colony of 1,200 striking coal miners and their families at Ludlow, Colorado on April 20, 1914.

The massacre resulted in the violent deaths of between 19 and 25 people; sources vary but all sources include two women and eleven children, asphyxiated and burned to death under a single tent. The deaths occurred after a daylong fight between militia and camp guards against striking workers. Ludlow was the deadliest single incident in the southern Colorado Coal Strike, lasting from September 1913 through December 1914. The strike was organized by the United Mine Workers of America (UMWA) against coal mining companies in Colorado. The three largest companies involved were the Rockefeller family-owned Colorado Fuel & Iron Company (CF&I), the Rocky Mountain Fuel Company (RMF), and the Victor-American Fuel Company (VAF).
Columbine Mine massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
The Columbine Massacre, sometimes called the Columbine Mine Massacre, occurred in 1927, in the town of Serene, Colorado. A fight broke out between Colorado state police and a group of striking coal miners, during which the unarmed miners were attacked with machine guns. It is unclear whether the machine guns were used by the police or by guards working for the mine. Six strikers were killed, and dozens were injured.
Colorado Labor Wars - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
The series of incidents that have most frequently been referred to as the Colorado Labor Wars involved a struggle between the Western Federation of Miners (WFM) and the mine operators, particularly the Cripple Creek Mine Owners' Association (CCMOA), during the period from 1903 to 1904. Like so many other fights between the miners and the owners of the mines, this was a brutal and bloody period in Colorado's history. A nearly simultaneous strike in Colorado's northern and southern coal fields was also met with a military response by the Colorado National Guard.
Herrin massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
The Herrin Massacre took place in June 1922 in Herrin, Illinois. Three union miners (Jordie Henderson, Joseph Pitkewicius and one other) were killed in a strike-related confrontation on June 21. The following day, 19 of fifty strikebreakers and union guards were killed, many of them in a brutal way. A twentieth victim from the non-union group would later be killed, bringing the death count to twenty-three.
Lattimer massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
The Lattimer Massacre was the violent deaths of 19 unarmed striking immigrant anthracite coal miners at the Lattimer mine near Hazleton, Pennsylvania, on September 10, 1897. The miners, mostly of Polish, Slovak, Lithuanian and German ethnicity, were shot and killed by a Luzerne County sheriff's posse. Scores more workers were wounded. The Lattimer massacre was a turning point in the history of the United Mine Workers (UMW).
Bay View Massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
The Bay View Massacre (sometimes also referred to as the Bay View Tragedy) was the culmination of events that began on Saturday May 1, 1886 when 7,000 building-trades workers joined with 5,000 Polish laborers who had organized at St. Stanislaus Catholic Church in Milwaukee, Wisconsin to strike against their employers, demanding an eight-hour work day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 10:45 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,943,456 times
Look in the right hand corner of your CD page and it says, "Happy Labor Day"........I think for most it's just another day of vacations and barbeques.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:49 AM

371 posts, read 443,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Look in the right hand corner of your CD page and it says, "Happy Labor Day"........I think for most it's just another day of vacations and barbeques.
"Those who don't study history are doomed to repeat it. Yet, those who do study history are doomed to stand by helplessly while everyone else repeats it."

Old 09-03-2012, 10:51 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,257,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13JERM View Post
LABOR DAY: Today is the day we remember those who fought for fair labor laws. Keep in mind, there was an actual WAR, fought right here in the USA , less than 100 years ago, between corporate power and workers.

If you don't know the history, I suggest you spend a few minutes reading.

Ludlow Massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Columbine Mine massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Colorado Labor Wars - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Herrin massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lattimer massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bay View Massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Thanks for the reminder, 13JERM.

I was thinking about this this morning - how we are always reminded on Memorial Day what the true meaning of the day is supposed to be but so many forget that Labor Day also has meaning beyond the barbecues and getting the kids back to school.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:53 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,944,845 times
100 years ago they could not have seen that labor was going to commit suicide via public pension entitlement demands and corrupt union bosses tied to the DNC. And so it goes the Democrat presidents like Carter and Clinton sold out labor via international trade agreements and treaties.

http://twitter.com/Michellebbz/statu...255424/photo/1

Last edited by lifelongMOgal; 09-03-2012 at 11:16 AM..

Old 09-03-2012, 10:56 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,204,544 times
Labor Day is a sad day.

What started off as a movement to make workers lives better has turned into a day celebrating the pig's feeding trough for greedy unions...

Old 09-03-2012, 11:26 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,288,764 times
Krieg! Krieg!!!

Old 09-03-2012, 11:38 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,815,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Unfortunately you're right, and most american's don't know, nor care about what the meaning of holidays are besides a day off of work.

Labor day is a very important day for the hard working americans that fought back against the evil corporate masters and their slave labor conditions. Each and every one of those hard working americans are to be honored this day

Old 09-03-2012, 11:41 AM

2,046 posts, read 1,500,526 times
Living in a right to work state, unions are rare here. I have, however, worked union jobs and belonged to 3 different unions throughout my careeer.

Even though I do not have to join a union to work, I do realize that many of the benefits I enjoy came about because of unions and through the blood and suffering of many b4 there were any workplace standards.

How many would like to go back to the conditions that existed b4 unions? Even though some claim they have gotten too powerful or uncompromising, they DID play an important part in the development of higher living standards for the middle and lower classes.

All one has to do is look at the working conditions in China now to be thankful that this movement did take place in the US.

Workers Die at Factories Used by Tommy Hilfiger - ABC News

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/26/wo...chinafire.html

The HR Capitalist: Picture of the Day: Workplace Suicide Nets In China...

And when talking about actions of past presidents to weaken unions, lets not forget about the air traffic controllers strike in the 1980's.

How did Ronald Reagan's union busting tactics affect union workers of today ? - Yahoo! Answers

Old 09-03-2012, 11:49 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,535,499 times
And the GOP's plans for America would take us right back to the same conditions which created those labor wars in the first place. Unrestrained greed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies