Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 08:21 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
2+2 degrees with first two being at community college should be the norm.

Every state should have a law that all universities receiving 1 cent or greater state aid MUST accept CC work for 100 and 200 level coursework and that said universities and community colleges will coordinate requirements.

My nephew got screwed when his university accepted less than half his CC courses even with a GPA just under 3.5. Note ZERO courses were remedial or basketweaving 101... etc.
I agree 100%.

The JUCO around here is one of the best in the country and has streamlined programs into the various state universities so you know ahead of time what they will accept.

JUCO is one of the few ways to truly get through school in a cost efficient manner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 08:26 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,458,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
College and student loans is a huge trap considering only 56% of those that enter college actually graduate in 6 years.
It's even worse for the 2 year degree..only 29% graduate.

The US is now LAST in global standings regarding the percentage of college students that actually graduate.
Study: Nearly Half Of America's College Students Drop Out Before Receiving A Degree | ThinkProgress

Congratulations, the Race to the Bottom is compete. The US has won.
And as ever, TX seems to be "leading" that race.

The State Of Texas’ Children: Low Graduation Rates, High Poverty

BTW, IMHO, college and student loans have increasingly become "employment options" for some h.s. grads, in the same way that joining the military (and recruiting incentive$) have become for others.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:29 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
And as ever, TX seems to be "leading" that race.

The State Of Texas’ Children: Low Graduation Rates, High Poverty
Well it doesn't help that Texas has 3 of the 10 most poorest counties in the US.
CA is worse than us.

Take a good look at the demographics of TX and CA and this is your future.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:32 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Well it doesn't help that Texas has 3 of the 10 most poorest counties in the US.
CA is worse than us.

Take a good look at the demographics of TX and CA and this is your future.
You'll have that with a large influx of people coming here illegaly

Old 09-04-2012, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
You'll have that with a large influx of people coming here illegaly
Yes that is the reason. I didn't come out and say it because I wanted that poster to look at the demographics and come to that conclusion themselves.

Just look to CA and TX to see what your future will be like as the influx moves north.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:36 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
I studied the "hard" sciences in college but I have found discussions of history, art and psychology to be more interesting as the years have passed even if I still use these sciences every day.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:44 AM

The administration wanted a more educated workforce.
But making money easily available (student loans) is not the way.
There's a reason the government took over student loans.

Schools raise tuition so the government hands out more money in loans.
Government hands out more money in loans so the schools raise tuition.

Get rid of student loans altogether because that is not the way to get a more educated society.
Only 56% of college student actually graduate (4 year) and only 29% graduate (2 year).
Watch the tuition/fees come down as only those who can pay will go. And when colleges see their enrollments drop drastically they will do something otherwise they'd have to close shop.

Anything the government gets it's hands into and subsidizes turns into a bubble, an unsustainable bubble.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:45 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,595,161 times
Colleges also need more real world professionals teaching in degree related classes.

anecdotal I know but my CPA accounting teacher was FAR superior and on a more real world level than my accounting professor. There were others.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:50 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Yes that is the reason. I didn't come out and say it because I wanted that poster to look at the demographics and come to that conclusion themselves.

Just look to CA and TX to see what your future will be like as the influx moves north.
LOL, sorry but I think the poster in question knew the answer also

Old 09-04-2012, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Colleges also need more real world professionals teaching in degree related classes.

anecdotal I know but my CPA accounting teacher was FAR superior and on a more real world level than my accounting professor. There were others.
But those in education frown upon and look down at those that worked in industry before moving over to teaching. Education is in its own little world where everything works on paper and in theory. People who come from industry talk reality and they don't like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies