Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2012, 12:29 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times

Advertisements

So what do the Romney supporters think would improve regarding food stamp usage, if Fritt Rob-me were elected? Would he cancel the food stamps program, along with Planned Parenthood? I can see it now - packs of hungry poors roaming the streets foraging for food and the streets littered with infants that died due to malnourishment. Eventually they will find a way to breach the walls surrounding the ivory towers and we can have another uprising/revolution.

Sounds like utopia to me....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 12:41 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
People have to use food stamps, because greedy money hungry Politicians came along, and people who had jobs, now lost the ones they had. I have known and i have written about this often. Since 2008 until now i did know 20 familes who lost their jobs, and half their homes, under this whacko adminsitration.

Lets add 2 more, a Manager and a electrician, which i thought could not be possible, electricians are in demand are they not, or they use to be.

So when people you see lose their jobs, they lose what money they had coming in. They also have a hard time finding some place to live. Many people i know mostly middle aged men, found themselves in the most pecular positions, when they lost the jobs they had of many many many years. Unless your one of the people who have lost a job, you don't know what hell it is on a family.

These hard working people don't want assistance, they have always done it on their own, and the ones that had to go on assistance, hate it with a freaking passion.

Think about that middle aged but not yet retirement age, job gone, lost your home, and the homelife becomes strained.

If you want to keep that job you have, think long and hard before you put your vote in, and if you want to keep what money you have, think long and hard. Don't vote just because, vote to get this negative, tanking in the toilet spiraling out of control economy back on track.

Point bank, no beating around the bush for me. My banker investor told me, if Obama comes in again, we are dumed, no kidding. He said think things are bad now, just wait, he is very smart, and always been right on target.

That's certainly a big part of it, and is ironically one of the factors driving up rents, which drives food stamps.

While there are millions of foreclosed homes sitting vacant, the people who used to live in them have to live somewhere, so most of them are renting, thereby reducing rental vacancies, which is seen as a signal to landlords that they should raise rents.

And this all feeds into the food stamp loop because eligibility is based on income minus (taxes plus housing exp plus out of pocket medical exp). So when your income goes down and your rent goes up, you get more people on food stamps.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Oh Yeah, rent control, would that be the government coming in and telling landlords how much they can charge?
Bartering is the answer. I can see that. Throw in a little girl friend, wife, gas, or whatever, LET'S MAKE A DEAL!

That's the way to get what you want in the new economy.

I was just joking about rent control, but zoning would be the government coming in and telling landlords how much housing they can provide, and sometimes how many unrelated individuals they can rent to (e.g. some towns - Lubbock TX I think is one - prohibit more than two unrelated persons sharing housing in single-family zones).

Why do the people who object to rent control have no problem with zoning?

Old 09-24-2012, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Oh Yeah, rent control, would that be the government coming in and telling landlords how much they can charge?
Bartering is the answer. I can see that. Throw in a little girl friend, wife, gas, or whatever, LET'S MAKE A DEAL!

I was just joking about rent control, but zoning would be the government coming in and telling landlords how much housing they can provide, and sometimes how many unrelated individuals they can rent to (e.g. some towns - Lubbock TX I think is one - prohibit more than two unrelated persons sharing housing in single-family zones).

Old 09-24-2012, 01:09 AM

Quote:

Old 09-24-2012, 01:19 AM

Quote:

Old 09-24-2012, 01:59 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,242,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
That's certainly a big part of it, and is ironically one of the factors driving up rents, which drives food stamps.

While there are millions of foreclosed homes sitting vacant, the people who used to live in them have to live somewhere, so most of them are renting, thereby reducing rental vacancies, which is seen as a signal to landlords that they should raise rents.

And this all feeds into the food stamp loop because eligibility is based on income minus (taxes plus housing exp plus out of pocket medical exp). So when your income goes down and your rent goes up, you get more people on food stamps.
Well, in '04, my health gave out, thousands owed to dr's, hospital, couldn't work although I tried and was an epic failure, sold my house (luckyily) van and car repo'd, went on short term disab. til ss kicked in, bought a cheap conversion van, went south for warmth, lived in van for a long time, food stamps, things just went bad. If food stamps weren't there, I don't know what we would have done.

But, look at it this way: I know people believe food stamps, gov't asistance of any kind is welfare, but what if a person worked all of their life, and ended up with a medical condition and couldn't work anymore, but has paid into the system through payroll deductions for ss, medicare, state/local taxes? does that mean a person isn't eligible for help? Even if people have insurance like I did, it's not enough to cover everything. I know, been there, done that.

Now I live back north again, have a slumlord, living in a flat that's a dump, it's all I can afford, but I don't ask for gov't. assistance anymore-no food stamps-food card, we barely get by. I get medical care paid for from my veteran's benefit program.

I think conservatives, when they spout off about ending these social safetynets, they should try to remember that it's there for their constituants too!

Old 09-24-2012, 02:41 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,297,969 times
At this point this 47million people on food stamps statistic that many conservatives keep trotting out for some kind of effect is pointless.

We've had a devastating recession, many people are unemployed, many people qualify for food stamps. Do conservatives want to take away the food stamps of these Americans?

Do conservatives even know how down and out a family must be to qualify for food stamps?

I guess for conservatives it works as a critic of the Obama's presidency if one does not know how the food stamp program was expanded under GWB so more people could qualify.

I really just don't get why this number with such high unemployment and people under employed and working part time, upsets conservatives so much.

I am proud to live in a nation where people don't starve if they lose their job, are elderly, children, the disabled, etc.

I truly do not understand how a logical person can think that Americans going hungry is good for the nation.

I guess this must be another case of conservatives having wild fantasies about the "wrong kinds" of Americans getting food stamps living the high life on the dole.

Conservatives hate millions of other Americans and this hatred drives their political ideology.

Old 09-24-2012, 02:59 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,242,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
At this point this 47million people on food stamps statistic that many conservatives keep trotting out for some kind of effect is pointless.

We've had a devastating recession, many people are unemployed, many people qualify for food stamps. Do conservatives want to take away the food stamps of these Americans?

Do conservatives even know how down and out a family must be to qualify for food stamps?

I guess for conservatives it works as a critic of the Obama's presidency if one does not know how the food stamp program was expanded under GWB so more people could qualify.

I really just don't get why this number with such high unemployment and people under employed and working part time, upsets conservatives so much.

I am proud to live in a nation where people don't starve if they lose their job, are elderly, children, the disabled, etc.

I truly do not understand how a logical person can think that Americans going hungry is good for the nation.

I guess this must be another case of conservatives having wild fantasies about the "wrong kinds" of Americans getting food stamps living the high life on the dole.

Conservatives hate millions of other Americans and this hatred drives their political ideology.
I cringe when I see or hear people refer to Obama as the welfare president.

He didn't create this recession, but was left to him on a silver platter.

I believe he's doing the best he can under the circumstances.

I'm sure the conservatives have the almighty silver bullet cure all for everything.

Old 09-24-2012, 04:58 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,916,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
Say "thank you" to the Gramm Leach Bliley Act. That piece of GOP legislation that deregulated Wall St and allowed them run off the rails and crash the global economy, throwing millions out of work.

Mission accomplished!

Record numbers of unemployed = record number of food stamps.
signed by clinton, with al gore as senate president.

both parties were responsible for that piece of bad legislation, and neither party has chosen to repeal it.

what does that tell you?

certainly that contributed to the mess we are in, but the single biggest problem has been the push for globalization- and trying to force americans to "compete" with workers who have no benefits, make no money, and have absolutely zero regulations.

it is impossible, of course-but these globalist leaders that we have don't really care because they have a "big vision".

in the meantime, american citizen wealth is being tapped to help these "emerging" countries develop their own resources, drill their wells, and advance their technology-while we invest in failing green technologies and watch the money circle the drain here.

you are not going to fix the welfare problem until you fix the employment problem. we all know that rising unemployment drives up social service safety net usage, as does allowing unchecked illegal immigration. i see people here defending obama, saying he inherited this, but then again what did he do to FIX IT?

Last edited by floridasandy; 09-24-2012 at 05:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies