Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 11:03 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,781,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
(anyone who receives LESS in government services and benefits than they pay in taxes is a slave)...
Not necessarily a slave.

Just a chump.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2012, 11:41 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,241,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
But the purchase of those items provides JOBS for others.

Think about it...

We all know what happened the last time the Dems tried to tax disposable income... They killed off an entire U.S. industry, jobs and all.
Shipwrecked In New Jersey
There's a huge difference between taxing disposable income (my argument is that any "progressive" tax structure does just that) and specifically targeting luxury items with high taxes.

I don't agree with any sort of specialty excise tax unless the goal is to directly recoup public costs. Taxes on cigarettes and alcohol arguably help offset the increased public health costs from the people who consume such things. Taxes on gasoline and diesel fuels and car tags go toward upkeep, repair, and construction of roads and bridges.

An excise tax on luxury items is just a pure money grab and causes more harm than good. And for what it's worth, there's also a massive difference between adding an excise tax on a luxury item and eliminating an existing tax write-off on a luxury item.

So far, though, no one has mentioned an alternative term than "disposable income". We don't want to offend the easily offended.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:55 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,235,806 times
So many are missing the point of the thread.
The point of this thread is to illustrate how Grover Norquist is trying to divide the American people by saying that tax money paid in is being taken away from someone and given to someone else. The tax money goes into a fund and is then parceled out. Right? Ye some will go to some that never pay any taxes at all. We have discussed that to death. Please no more about that. WE KNOW ALL READY!
How can anyone person say that THEIR money went where? You cannot.
NORQUIST is just stroking Republicans with this lie.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:02 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,781,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
It is impossible to avoid offending the easily offended, so I don't bother to try.
Those who shock easily, should be shocked regularly and often.

Quote:
But to humor you, what term would you use to describe that money left over after basic human needs (food, shelter, clothing, transportation, etc.) are met?
"Private property".

Old 09-05-2012, 12:16 PM

88,989 posts, read 44,799,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
There's a huge difference between taxing disposable income (my argument is that any "progressive" tax structure does just that) and specifically targeting luxury items with high taxes.
No, it's EXACTLY the same thing. Luxury items are BOUGHT with disposable income.

If the government sucks up disposable income via taxation, you can wave many, many jobs and U.S. industries GOODBYE.

Happened to the U.S. shipbuilding industry when the Dems taxed the purchase of luxury boats, and it will happen again to ANY JOB dependent upon the spending of disposable income.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:19 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,010,508 times
The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to the public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. The wise and correct course to follow in taxation is not to destroy those who have already secured success, but to create conditions under which everyone will have a better chance to be successful.

-Calvin Coolidge

Old 09-05-2012, 12:24 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,924,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Taxes are the cost of living in a civilized society. Societies without taxes are way too dangerous for most of us.

Grover Norquist is a leader of the conservatives that value wealth above all and can say the most incredible things. He is paid very well to do this by people that believe “living free” means being protected by the law is a no cost item.

FWIW I think the top 1% should pay 99% of the Federal taxes and the rest use our money to make more money just like the top 1%.

Do you recognize that the lower on the scale %er the more public resources are generally used? Therefore, you are arguing that those who most likely use the least in the way of government resources (federal, state or municipal) pay for those who use the most of it?

Why do you think that those who use the most public services should not also be paying "their fair share"?

France appears to be instituting the tax structure you would like the US to emulate. Meanwhile the wealthy are leaving France.

Clue: People of all income levels should be able to keep as much of their earnings as possible. Government should live within its Constitutionally limited scope and practice frugality and fiscal responsibility with the taxpayers' money.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:38 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,978,301 times
This thread is an utter joke. The sentiment expressed in the OP and echoed in many posts on this thread and this forum are the reason that America is in decline. This thread shows no respect for the rights of the individual nor does it acknowledge the idea of private property. If one can't keep the fruits of their labor, but rather those fruits are confiscated by force (or the implicit threat of force) and made to be "all of ours" that is a scary line of reasoning. The root of all tyranny is found in the erosion of property rights.

Quote:
The only security men can have for their political liberty, consists in keeping their money in their own pockets.
-Lysander Spooner

Old 09-05-2012, 01:03 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,924,458 times
Default Maryland GOP candidate Dan Bogino sums it up well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vf78...layer_embedded

Old 09-05-2012, 01:21 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,097,815 times
If my taxes were solely funding my local schools, roads, social services, etc. I would not have as much of a problem with them as I do.

I am thoroughly disgusted that my tax money funds federal bureaucrats, affirmative action programs, welfare programs that are abused, no child left behind, undeclared wars, taxpayer funded bureaucrat vacations, and the list goes on.

Another sick feature of our tax system is property taxes. If I get a $250,000 mortgage, I probably pay close to $100,00 in interest until I "own" my property, but if I don't pay my dues to the state every year, even if I own that house, the bank/state will foreclose on me.

We have no private property rights left in this country, yet we are too busy with "fantasy foootball" "keeping up with the kardashians", and "we need other people to redistribute their wealth so I can buy shrimp, lobster, x-box, and jordans for my child" to actually do something about this oppression.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies