Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 06:02 PM

937 posts, read 2,837,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayannaaaliyah View Post
ButsBees: it's not that everyone hates police. There are good cops and there are bad cops. Not all cops are law abiding citizens, they are humans to who have hang-ups just like any other human being. You CANNOT sit here and say that ALL cops are upstanding and don't commit criminal acts against people!
Now you're going around what I was saying and adding a totally different part to the conversation.

I never once said all cops are 100% do-gooders. They are human too. BUT, it is unfair for you to sit there and bash police efforts, police tactics and lump them all into one group as bad people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2007, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oktaren View Post
well, we JUST let the officers here have tasers, and they are only to be used in situations where a gun were to be used but deadly force wasn't necessary. sorry, you are wrong, NOT EVERYWHERE. and no, if you draw your gun it isn't necessarily to be used for deadly force. I don't know where you live, but i don't live in a police state.
Where do you come to your conclusion that you know this stuff? Let me guess, you read it on a website, right?

In WHAT situation can you tell me where a gun is to be used where deadly force isn't necessary, thus in YOUR words, a taser would be used. Just tell me, I'd surely LOVE to hear this

Watching WAY too much of Hollywoods fine creations...

Old 10-06-2007, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
I think that if a person resists arrest, then IMO the police have the right to use whatever means they feel is necessary to restrain the person and arrest them. The age does not matter, and a 15 year old ought to have known better.

With all the scrutiny police officers have to go through, it is a wonder we have any. Yes there are bad cops, but I think the vast majority are good.
Exactly. Can't believe all of the bad mouthing they have to put up with, but it's not going to stop me ONE bit of becoming a fine law enforcement officer. Im out there to protect everyone, regardless of the keyboard-warriors who are out there to criticize and scrutinize.

Old 10-06-2007, 06:10 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,139,600 times
Citigirl, check it out again. he did punch her. Then yelled at her, "Quit biting me" or something like that. But I'd have done the same thing. I think the pepper spray would have been used a lot sooner and more of it.

Old 10-06-2007, 06:26 PM

Finally watched the video.

Thanks to todays society becoming more and more lawsuit friendly, he went above and beyond to give her enough chances to stop resisting. Most cops would have just forced her to the ground, but worryful of a lawsuit he did what he had to do. Since shes crying, people have the natural human tendency to feel bad for her which is exactly why some people say "OMG POOR GIRL OH NOES!!!!11". And she wasnt even tasered, why is the title of this thread saying that she was? 15 year old or 50, if shes resisting, shes going down to the ground, end of story.

Old 10-06-2007, 08:30 PM

384 posts, read 1,133,881 times
Again, people need to put themselves in the position of the police officer. They have a very tough, stressful job. Many police officers do not live too far past retirement due to heart attacks caused by Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. And it is because of morons in this thread that they have heart attacks.

Have a heart for the police for once, and stop being fools. They are the ones who risk their life everytime they pull someone over at night and can't see if they are holding a gun clearly or not. They are the ones getting in the middle of domesticated abuse situations, and risk the potential of getting shot. They are the guys who find victims of violent crime laying dead on the ground, only to have nightmares for weeks.

No, not every cop is a saint. But they do have a damn tough job, and they deserve more respect from the average civilian. Also, learn what the hell you are talking about before you go off saying tasers are only supposed to be used in situations of deadly force. Tasers are non-lethal weapons, much less painful than pepper-spray. And the taser wasn't even used in this incident.

Old 10-07-2007, 09:42 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,139,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtsBees View Post
Where do you come to your conclusion that you know this stuff? Let me guess, you read it on a website, right?

In WHAT situation can you tell me where a gun is to be used where deadly force isn't necessary, thus in YOUR words, a taser would be used. Just tell me, I'd surely LOVE to hear this

Watching WAY too much of Hollywoods fine creations...
Posession of a stolen vehicle. You don't have to be running, you don't have to be armed and you don't have to be resisting in any way. The police will have you exit that vehicle "AT GUN POINT" and secure you with cuffs. Untill then, you are at gun point. Posession of a stolen vehicle does not constitute deadly force.

Old 10-07-2007, 10:02 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,806,101 times
Anybody ever read Joseph Wambaugh novels? Pretty entertaining, humorous reads giving some of the cops' perspectives.

I think there are still issues with racial profiling - where innocent Blacks and Hispanics just driving along get pulled over for DWB or DWH. But then again in a lot of areas the gangbangers are all Black and Hispanic, so in some respects it is like targeting Arab looking young males at airports. Some innocent Arab guys get bothered, but the chances of somebody trying to blow up the plane being an Arab looking young male are pretty high compared to everybody else.
Then you have the racial biases inherent in the justice system - where cocaine and crack use (more minorities) is targetted more than heroine use (more white).

But for Joe Cop on the street I think you have to tip your hat to those guys. They go to work every day not knowing what is going to pop out at them. And just watching an episode of Cops where you see the riffraff (of all races) they have to deal with all the time would make me never want to go through what they do. And that is the edited for TV versions. Just think of all the suicides and stupid domestic violence and children getting abused by their parents these guys see all the time, at least in major cities. Seems like a damn hard job for not a whole lot of pay. Imagine being in a potentially life threatening situation and you have to be thinking "When am I allowed to use my taser", "when am I allowed to use my pepper spray", "my life is now at risk, can I now use my weapon?"

You occasionally bump into the psycho cop that is power hungry and loves to strut around with the gun and badge, but I think that is the exception and not the norm. A lot of ex military guys, and most cops now have a college degree.

Old 10-07-2007, 10:19 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,289,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citigirl View Post
Oh yes the big bad racist cop bring the man down.

If that officer had wanted to he would have had that girl in cuffs in a heartbeat. OBVIOUSLY he was using all restraint to cuff her without getting rough like anyone else would deserve if they acted like she did.

Thank God he moved her in front of the camera so those who cry racist if they get in trouble don't have a leg to stand on. The police officer was a saint under the circumstances.

100% right on Citigirl. A quick leg sweep and/or choke hold puts that little lawbreaker flat on the ground. That cop put his own safety at risk by being OVERLY restrained in his actions.
BTW, anyone goes to bite me(in the era of AIDS) gives up any curtesy for being a woman/child/disabled, etc. You bite, you pay!

Old 10-07-2007, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgussler View Post
Posession of a stolen vehicle. You don't have to be running, you don't have to be armed and you don't have to be resisting in any way. The police will have you exit that vehicle "AT GUN POINT" and secure you with cuffs. Untill then, you are at gun point. Posession of a stolen vehicle does not constitute deadly force.
So honestly, what is your point that you're trying to make here? That you'd use your taser to affect the arrest on a felony stop? Sorry, not undestanding what you're coming from here...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies