Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 11:00 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,124,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtsBees View Post
So honestly, what is your point that you're trying to make here? That you'd use your taser to affect the arrest on a felony stop? Sorry, not undestanding what you're coming from here...
You asked for a case that a cop would pull a gun and it would not be used for deadly force. I gave you one. Do you not understand the answer or did you not understand your question?

A pistol is pulled in a lot of cases that deadly force is not authorized. It is pulled to keep the situation from escalating into a need for deadly force.

A taser is just another tool. A tool used to control a situation that might endanger you or him/her.

There are strict guidlines to pull a taser and actually use it. Police do not walk down the street getting their jollys by lighting up inocent folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2007, 11:18 AM

1,354 posts, read 4,585,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtsBees View Post
Now you're going around what I was saying and adding a totally different part to the conversation.

I never once said all cops are 100% do-gooders. They are human too. BUT, it is unfair for you to sit there and bash police efforts, police tactics and lump them all into one group as bad people.
Do you see a post where I said ALL cops are bad or where I bashed ALL cops? I don't think so.

Old 10-07-2007, 11:22 AM

1,526 posts, read 5,607,459 times
I could not access the video, and I do agree if there was no tasering involved the title should have been changed.

I was under the impression tasering was more extreme, but some here say pepper spray is, but it doesn't make for such dramatic headlines.

Obviously even with a video camera, different people will still see different things (she got punched, she didn't get punched, etc.) Videotapes of incidents are IMO a good tool, but even they will not seem clear cut to all, esp if they don't show what happened before the videotape started. But it certainly can beat eye witness accounts, if the disagreement on the punching thing here is any indication. And people tend to see what they want to see sometimes.

"Cops" is not my favorite show, but there are so many shows like this on TV now, and in general it seems like the police officers are dealing with very difficult and potentially dangerous individuals. Many of them are intoxicated and some people can be like Jeckyl and Hyde when they're drunk or high. Fortunately it seems like they're getting tougher on DUI charges, because innocent people can and do get mowed down. Some people in a blackout may never even know that they killed someone in a hit and run.

Though of course there may be some "outlaw" cops, this is true of virtually any profession. I tend to side with the police, because even with the new technology they can get put away for a very long time esp if it's taken to a jury. Meanwhile the "poor victims" they assaulted or their buddies sometimes go on to commit more crimes anyway. Seems like a very stressful, and potentially lose-lose situation for police.

NYC is having trouble getting new recruits because starting salaries are so low it's laughable. Why put your life on the line for an insultingly low starting salary? The good they do for a community, and the lives they save make them invaluable. Meanwhile city/government workers account for so much waste because there's so little accountablility. I say get rid of some of the dead wood and pay cops what they deserve to be paid.

Old 10-07-2007, 11:36 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,773,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citigirl View Post
What does a school guard have to do with this incident about a police officer? By the way how do you think the rest of the country will feel about you getting your own state and giving me one too?

As for your story I know none of the facts so I will not comment.
If you get a state I want one too.....

Old 10-07-2007, 11:45 AM

937 posts, read 2,837,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgussler View Post
You asked for a case that a cop would pull a gun and it would not be used for deadly force. I gave you one. Do you not understand the answer or did you not understand your question?

A pistol is pulled in a lot of cases that deadly force is not authorized. It is pulled to keep the situation from escalating into a need for deadly force.

A taser is just another tool. A tool used to control a situation that might endanger you or him/her.

There are strict guidlines to pull a taser and actually use it. Police do not walk down the street getting their jollys by lighting up inocent folks.
What I asked was for a situation where a gun is needed but deadly force isnt justified so thats supposedly where a taser is to be used, but it wasnt directed towards you anyways

Old 10-07-2007, 02:35 PM

Default A Sheriff's Deputy Goes On Shooting Rampage Killing At Least 5

(CNN) -- At least five people were killed early Sunday morning in a shooting rampage in northern Wisconsin. The shooter -- a county sheriff's deputy -- was later shot and killed, according to the Oconto County Sheriff's department, WTMJ Newsradio reports.

Law enforcement in the area where the shooting took place in Crandon, Wisconsin.

1 of 2 "It's a pretty tragic situation here," said Forest County Supervisor Tom Vollmar, who lives just outside Crandon, Wisconsin, where the people were killed. "There are five or six people dead."

At least two of the victims were high school students, WTMJ told CNN.

Messages seeking comment were left with the sheriff's office.

The neighborhood where the rampage happened was blocked off, Vollmar said.

The northeast Wisconsin city of about 2,000 people is about 225 miles north of Milwaukee. The area is known for logging, and fishing, hunting and snowmobiling.

Old 10-07-2007, 02:40 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,732,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
This video is heart wrenching. Anyone who is a parent that has kids that are old enough to be mobile should be alarmed at this. Because this could be your kid.
There is a video in the link provided below. It shows a full size male officer trying to cuff a very small 15 year old girl who had violated state curfew in Florida.
http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2007/oct/04/dramatic-arrest- (broken link)... /

That is what is wrong with kids now a days. They think they are above the law.
You shoud be ashamed of yourself......
Carrie

Old 10-07-2007, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawporri View Post
That is what is wrong with kids now a days. They think they are above the law.
You shoud be ashamed of yourself......
Carrie
Go visit the Parenting forum, they think children shouldn't be spanked, LOL.

Old 10-07-2007, 03:17 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,253,786 times
Hmmm An armed police officer tells me to comply to a legal request. What should I do?
a. Obey
b. Curse at him then obey
c. Act like an idiot and antagonize him until he does something to me which will totally suck.
I think my answer would be A
Kids today know that they are to be handled with kid gloves. This 15 year old was not innocent, was not obeying and was in fact violent to the police officer.
She got what she got 100% due to her own actions. Her parents should be arrested for raising such a child.

Old 10-07-2007, 04:00 PM

937 posts, read 2,837,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayannaaaliyah View Post
Go visit the Parenting forum, they think children shouldn't be spanked, LOL.
Whats with the sissy type people today?

I was spanked as a kid and will spank my kids too.

If my child behaved like the one in the video did, she'd be getting it alot worse than what the cop did. Kids should know better, and its ignorant parents who post crap like "OMG POOR GIRL!" that are part of the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies