Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2012, 10:12 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,886,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I have no problem with people who legitimately needing help receiving help. But the truth is, our entitlement programs are handing out money to a lot of people who don't need/deserve help and the taxpayers are the ones paying the bill. It's not fair to those of us who work.
I am blessed to still have a job. I would much rather that my taxes go to help other Americans who got caught up in this crisis through no wrongdoing of their own than having it go towards tax cuts to the wealthy or subsidies for big oil companies or expansion of a military budget that is already over-bloated and filled with waste or to bailouts to the very people who caused the crisis. But that's just me.

Quote:
And these people I know have only been able to receive food stamps since Obama took over. They didn't qualify before and now they do. Hmmmm. More people are getting food stamps than ever before, and obviously a lot of those people shouldn't be getting them.
And you know this how? Yes, of course there are more people who qualify than ever before--what part of we're in a financial crisis don't you understand? There were more people who were in need during the Great Depression than ever before, too. That's kind of the definition of a deep financial crisis.

Quote:
Obama has no problem throwing around taxpayer money.
Even you admit that there are people still struggling, but you end your post with this? As president, isn't it his job to try to make sure his countrymen don't starve in the streets? That's the kind of president *I* want, anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 10:13 AM

3,484 posts, read 2,874,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
As you pointed out, you dont even know what the hell the point of the thread is, and you want us to take you seriously..

Where the hell has ANYONE complained about feeding children?
I'm sorry. Are you really under the delusion that anyone takes YOU seriously?

The whole point of this thread is to whine that more people are getting food stamps. Most of those people are kids. I am sorry if the prospect of feeding kids annoys you but that's why you're a cold hearted conservative and I am not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
Pathetic. Conservatives are DENOUNCING the wasteful spending of our taxdollars on lazy, able-bodied, selfish, slobs who can't provide for their children without sucking off the government teat. Here's a thought ... if you can't afford to feed your children .... DON'T HAVE CHILDREN!
Conservatives tell us no sex education, no access to birth control, no abortion even if you get raped . . . and then they tell us no food for children.

You are stating that it is wasteful to feed children. That's sick.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post

Quote:
Conservatives tell us no sex education, no access to birth control, no abortion even if you get raped . . . and then they tell us no food for children.
Yep. You're only sacred to the GOP when you are a zygote. Real, live, breathing, hungry CHILDREN--eh, they're on their own.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:21 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,285,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
Thursday? LOL! The problem with this defense is that the awarding of Food Stamps under Obama's revised requirements doesn't constitute fraud. Obama enabled people to qualify for Food Stamps who never qualified under the old standards.
Exactly. And the claim that fraud is 1%? Nope, I don't buy that. The fact that I only personally know of three people on food stamps and all three of them are selling them to buy alcohol makes me think either there is a lot of fraud they aren't aware of or don't care about, or they are underreporting it.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:24 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,182,122 times
Quote:

The whole point of this thread is to whine that more people are getting food stamps. Most of those people are kids. I am sorry if the prospect of feeding kids annoys you but that's why you're a cold hearted conservative and I am not.
I didnt state any of those things nor is that the point of the thread, go get therapy because little voices are talking to you again.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Exactly. And the claim that fraud is 1%? Nope, I don't buy that. The fact that I only personally know of three people on food stamps and all three of them are selling them to buy alcohol makes me think either there is a lot of fraud they aren't aware of or don't care about, or they are underreporting it.
So you're willing to throw millions of people off the rolls who legitimately need the assistance, many of whom are children, because you "don't buy it"? Your "evidence" of this is anecdotal. Interesting, but evidence of nothing more than you know a few people abusing the system. For that you would yank food from the tables of real Americans in need? Wow, I'm reminded daily, reading this board, why I'm not a conservative.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
I am blessed to still have a job. I would much rather that my taxes go to help other Americans who got caught up in this crisis through no wrongdoing of their own than having it go towards tax cuts to the wealthy or subsidies for big oil companies or expansion of a military budget that is already over-bloated and filled with waste or to bailouts to the very people who caused the crisis. But that's just me.

And you know this how? Yes, of course there are more people who qualify than ever before--what part of we're in a financial crisis don't you understand? There were more people who were in need during the Great Depression than ever before, too. That's kind of the definition of a deep financial crisis.

Even you admit that there are people still struggling, but you end your post with this? As president, isn't it his job to try to make sure his countrymen don't starve in the streets? That's the kind of president *I* want, anyway.
I am not talking about people who legitimately need help. I already said that. I have a problem with entitlement programs giving money and services to people who could be/should be working and don't want to, and don't have to because the government gives them money and food and section 8 housing so they can stay home and drink and drug. It's ridiculous.

Yes, Obama has no problem throwing away taxpayer money. If it is going to help those who truly are in need, that would not be throwing it away. But going to support illegal immigrants and people who are alcoholics/drug addicts and don't want to work, or those who just don't want to work is throwing away taxpayer money and is unfair to your countrymen who get out of bed every day and go to work and pay taxes.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:
I am not talking about people who legitimately need help. I already said that. I have a problem with entitlement programs giving money and services to people who could be/should be working and don't want to, and don't have to because the government gives them money and food and section 8 housing so they can stay home and drink and drug. It's ridiculous.
Very good, you have managed to fit in some right wing dog whistle talking points. And of course, YOUR anecdotal evidence is much more valid than a report by the Agriculture Department.

If I had to choose whether to believe your "I know three guys who are abusing the system" story or "The [Department of Agriculture] says food stamp fraud already is at record lows due to increased oversight. The rate of trafficking or fraud is currently about 1 percent, one of the lowest among federal programs," well, of course I'm going to go with you as the authority on this one. Because, you know, you know three guys...

Old 09-07-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Very good, you have managed to fit in some right wing dog whistle talking points. And of course, YOUR anecdotal evidence is much more valid than a report by the Agriculture Department.

If I had to choose whether to believe your "I know three guys who are abusing the system" story or "The [Department of Agriculture] says food stamp fraud already is at record lows due to increased oversight. The rate of trafficking or fraud is currently about 1 percent, one of the lowest among federal programs," well, of course I'm going to go with you as the authority on this one. Because, you know, you know three guys...
I don't really care what you believe. I have nothing to prove to you. I just know from personal experience that abuse and fraud is rampant. If you want to keep paying taxes to support that, go for it. I'm going to try to get Obama out of the White House so it doesn't get worse in the next 4 years.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:
I don't really care what you believe. I have nothing to prove to you. I just know from personal experience that abuse and fraud is rampant. If you want to keep paying taxes to support that, go for it. I'm going to try to get Obama out of the White House so it doesn't get worse in the next 4 years.
Yeah, those three guys translate to rampant fraud all across the country.

But I accept your concession that you have no real facts to back up your claims, and that your argument is based solely on your desire to get Obama out of office. That, at least, is honest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies