Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 06:30 PM

5,466 posts, read 4,422,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It has nothing to do with it. I said GOP uses Christianity to advance political agenda and to fish for votes, and that's a fact. He's not fooling me.
Did it ever occur to you that people have strong Christian beliefs and have no problem saying it, even saying so is unpopular. But Obama has fooled you.

Quote:
In politics, for the most part Christianity is nothing but a political tool, and to be honest with you it saddens me to see it. Are there true Christians among the GOP? Sure, but for the most part they just use it for political gain. There are true Christians among the Dems too.
WRONG! Thinking this way is sickening. Life has been good to be because of my strong Christian values. There is way too much to explain that I can possibly state here. Either way, I do NOT care what you think about it either AND I also believe that there are others who feel the same.

Old 09-09-2012, 06:39 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post
Did it ever occur to you that people have strong Christian beliefs and have no problem saying it, even saying so is unpopular. But Obama has fooled you.
I do not support Obama, so don't waste your breath. As for talking about faith, - I have no problem talking about my faith either. What has that got to do with it?

Coming to think of it, Obama has talked about his faith on many occations. What does that mean? Does it mean that he is a man of deep faith, and a promoter of Christian values, or that he says it for political reasons? Hmmmm You seem to say it is "sickening" to suggest that someone would use faith as political tool, so I'll have to assume you believe he is a man of deep faith.

Quote:
WRONG! Thinking this way is sickening. Life has been good to be because of my strong Christian values. There is way too much to explain that I can possibly state here. Either way, I do NOT care what you think about it either AND I also believe that there are others who feel the same.
Life has been good to me too because of my Christian faith, but that has nothing to do with what I said. I was talking about politicians using Christianity as a tool, and unless you are a politician, my comments do not apply to you either. I am talking about people like Romney, who is not even a Christian, pretending to be outraged that someone did not mention God in a speech. What's up with that? If he wants to talk about God and Joseph Smith, or the silver plates then he may do so, but when he critisizes others for not being a "good enough Christian", he is making is plain that he is using Christianity as a tool to pander for votes.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 09-09-2012 at 06:49 PM..

Old 09-09-2012, 06:57 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,458,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post
Did it ever occur to you that people have strong Christian beliefs and have no problem saying it, even if saying so is unpopular. But Obama has fooled you.

So in other words, all "people who have strong Christian beliefs" come by those beliefs honestly and sincerely, and never because of propaganda, fear-mongering or political manipulation.

While anyone who disagrees with them or thinks differently, is simply being "fooled".... got it!

Old 09-09-2012, 07:02 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
Quote:
I do not support Obama, so don't waste your breath. As for talking about faith, - I have no problem talking about my faith either. What has that got to do with it?

Coming to think of it, Obama has talked about his faith on many occations. What does that mean? Does it mean that he is a man of deep faith, and a promoter of Christian values, or that he says it for political reasons? Hmmmm You seem to say it is "sickening" to suggest that someone would use faith as political tool, so I'll have to assume you believe he is a man of deep faith.

Life has been good to me too because of my Christian faith, but that has nothing to do with what I said. I was talking about politicians using Christianity as a tool, and unless you are a politician, my comments do not apply to you either. I am talking about people like Romney, who is not even a Christian, pretending to be outraged that someone did not mention God in a speech. What's up with that? If he wants to talk about God and Joseph Smith, or the silver plates then he may do so, but when he critisizes others for not being a "good enough Christian", he is making is plain that he is using Christianity as a tool to pander for votes.
Why do you believe Romney is not a Christian?

Old 09-09-2012, 07:09 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,549,515 times
If they moved away, we could life in a real 'free' society.

Old 09-09-2012, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Congress is the government. They govern by passing bills to become law.
Right, and the 1st amendment prohibits them to write laws to favor, or discriminate for/against religion (any religion)

Quote:
God has allowed us to destroy ourselves. He states we reap what we sow through our free will. God gives us his word of wisdom and sees if we read it or use it.
In what way are you, or your personal relationship with God "destroyed"? My relationship with God gets better as I get older, and the ruling party has absolutely nothing to do with it. Does your relationship with God really depend on who is in the White House?

Quote:
Jesus said to every follower of his to speak his word and live his word . Your answers are of indifference. Jesus said either be hot or cold or I will spew you out of my mouth. You read your bible.
Then why are you asking for others (politicians) to speak for you? You are supposed to do the talking, not Romney, who is not even a Christian. Why does your faith revolve so much around politics?

Talk!! Talk about Jesus. Talk about salvation. Talk about eternal gifts. Talk about the Gospel.

Don't waste your time trying to tear down the politicians you don't like.

Pray for your leaders! Pray for Obama, and live a peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness:

1 Tim 2:1 I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people— for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness.

Matt 5:44 But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you

Yes, I read my Bible.

Quote:
Today we are in a different world. We have tv as an influence,- a political influence and the Internet. Do you see it as a better tool for good or bad? It is really up to the user if it is a good or bad tool.
Internet is the greatest Bible study tool ever created

Sadly, it is also the most widely used political propaganda tool.

Which do you use it for?

Quote:
Christians skim over the word that we are to be the light of the world . If a pastor wants to preach what is righteousness he has that duty to his congregation.
Pastors have many duties, greatest of which is to teach the Word Of God. I do not consider political pandering a duty of a pastor. It is OK to talk about issues, but there is a line they should not cross.

Quote:
If God did not have war in heaven , who would reign? Satan wanted to be higher than God. Satan wanted to reign and God kicked him out and one third of the angels went with him. God is not an indifferent God. He does not accept sin and his son was the answer to bring back his people to him.
Has God authorized you to be the sin police, or to judge those who sin? No, God is the judge. Again, spread the Gospel, and leave the judgment to God. Satan still roams the earth, and Mitt Romney will not be able to do anything about it.

Quote:
Jesus said to obey the laws and it will go well with you. If the laws changed to where no morality was in society , not for our children our wives, our husbands, our parents,our families, no good thing left as it was in the bible do think God would be pleased?
Do you think government should be the 'sin police'? Don't you think you can do a better job at it at home, teaching your kids, and spouse, and family about God's will for us.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 09-09-2012 at 07:30 PM..

Old 09-09-2012, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Why do you believe Romney is not a Christian?
Because he is a mormon, and their beliefs depart form the teachings of Jesus Christ. For example they believe there are multiple gods, and that people can become gods.

Trust me, if Romney was a Democrat, these politically acive pastors would throw their full weight into tearing him down on the bases that he is a mormon, and not a Christian. As a matter of fact after all you have said, I find it strange that you actually support someone for president who is not a 100% Bible believer. Him being a mormon, should be your greatest worry, but it is not. I get a feeling it would be an issue if he was a Democrat. Am I right? Our church would occationally discuss other faiths, like islam, mormonism, jehovan withnesses etc and point out how they differ from Christianity. It is a Republican leaning church, and now that Romney is running, they are silent. I have wondered if they would be silent if he was a muslim.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 09-09-2012 at 07:26 PM..

Old 09-09-2012, 07:38 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,285,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Most of the Western World is in better shape than us in every area except military power and wealth. Education, healthcare, quality of living, civil rights, equality, etc. are better in other countries. (In before the, "Then why don't you just move to those countries!")
No, most of the western world is not in better shape than us. And we are still 1/3 of the world's economy.

Old 09-09-2012, 07:39 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,443,536 times
How would we do in a country without the large swath of people who submit all of their critical thinking skills to a higher power? Pretty great.

Old 09-09-2012, 07:40 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,443,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
No, most of the western world is not in better shape than us. And we are still 1/3 of the world's economy.
Maybe not most, but a significant portion. It's completely naive to ignore the evidence that the USA is not the best place in the world to live (it's good but it could be better).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies