Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 08:21 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,393,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
I am not an Evangelical and they do tend to annoy me at times. But their overall impact on the USA has been positive. The overall impact of Christianity in America has been good.

The thing that makes the USA great is the simple fact that the American people are good. Honest, charitable, hard working, etc. Look at the Ten Commandments then go read the Sermon on the Mount sometime and tell me what this nation would look like if we got back to living those values? Turn the other cheek, don't be judgmental, do not steal or even think about it. Don't cheat on your spouse and don't even think about it. Be kind to those who are mean to you and others even when you have every reason to hate and despise them. Do not hate anyone. Don't pick fights with others nor give them any reason to attack you. Work hard and receive the blessings of that hard work.

Christians who actually try to live by the teachings of Jesus Christ are better people than they would have been otherwise and that's a very good thing.

You don't need religion to have such values but it certainly doesn't hurt. Human beings tend to devolve towards the path of least resistance naturally and being amoral tends to be easier. Religion serves to remind its adherents that they are obligated to be good moral people.

America will continue the trend towards being less great as the American people continue the trend towards becoming less good. How would erasing Christianity make America better?

"With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion." - Steven Weinberg

Old 09-09-2012, 08:36 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,299,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
I am not an Evangelical and they do tend to annoy me at times. But their overall impact on the USA has been positive. The overall impact of Christianity in America has been good.
I completely disagree.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:40 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,782,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Sodom and Gomorrah by the Atlantic or Pacific depending on your perspective.
Losing religious extremists would make us inhospitable and nasty to strangers visiting our country?

Oh wait, you like most Christian Fundies don't actually know what Sodom and Gomorrah are about, you just like to use the modern day corruption of the story. Got it.

I take it that means the majority of this country's history was like Sodom and Gomorrah seeing as Christian Fundamentalism was invented in the 19th and 20th Century right?

Old 09-09-2012, 09:16 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,463,520 times
[MOD CUT/off topic][/quote]

OK, if were gonna get "technical" about it, the point is that Evangelicals are not the only "christians" active in conservative politics and that make up the Christian Right.... that is unless we're deliberately gonna ignore certain "other" conservative religious groups in the discussion (whose names we shall not mention ).

Old 09-09-2012, 09:24 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,541,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Go back and reread the OP, Aero, we're talking about the fundamentalist Evangelicals, aka the American Taliban, NOT Christians in general. And yes, they are all Conservatives.
No, they are NOT all conservatives. Most Blacks are Democrats and Baptists and Baptists share the same beliefs as the Evangelicals including their views on abortion and gay rights.

Old 09-09-2012, 09:36 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,947,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Heaven on Earth. (Please, God, isn't it time for the Rapture yet???)
It would just be the beginning of your Hell, be careful what you wish for..........

Old 09-09-2012, 09:46 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,087,446 times
I'd say most people are right-wing extremists to some degree or another. Where do you draw the line?

Old 09-09-2012, 09:46 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,947,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Immeasurably better.
I'm not an evangecial........but this kind of sums it up to why Christians deny each other. You do know the same is said about the Mormon faith.........to bad you people don't turn the other cheek and figure it out.

Old 09-09-2012, 09:58 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,610,711 times
Well, it would look like Czech Rep, France, Britain, Belgium, Netherlands, Spain, Sweden, we would be like other countries that don't hold a religious majority instead of resembling the middle east like we do now with our policies rooted in God, and the blessing of God for everything we say and do. There would just be no "God Propaganda" and no "God Blessing"

Old 09-09-2012, 10:16 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,879,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
It would just be the beginning of your Hell, be careful what you wish for..........
Oh, but I do wish for all good "Christians" to be raptured away. They would be happy up in the sky with their God and the rest of us would be free of their Dark Ages dogma. Just imagine the forward progress the world could embark on! It boggles the mind. I believe I long for the Rapture even more ardently than most fundamentalist Christians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies