Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 08:06 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,867,959 times

Advertisements

I was reading an article on MSN this morning about a woman who was upset because she had not conceived any daughters. She got really depressed after she had conceived her 3rd son in a row. The husband said something like, they had even considered having an abortion for the 3rd son.

Personally, I can't think of any good reason why a woman would choose to have an abortion, other than perhaps for her own safety. But those cases are a very small percentage of actual abortions. The vast majority are "feelings" based.

I would feel sorry for any child whose mother had considered abortion. It is not a healthy thing to want to kill your own child. It bothers me that so many people find it acceptable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 08:18 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,272,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post

I would feel sorry for any child whose mother had considered abortion. It is not a healthy thing to want to kill your own child. It bothers me that so many people find it acceptable.
nice that you "feel" that way, but its none of your business.

I also had a friend who was born to a mother who considered in aborting her early on in her pregnancy. Her mother was in an abusive relationship, with a man who was convicted of murder, and was going to prison for life. She had no money or support, and wanted to move on with her life. The only reason she decided to go on with the pregnancy was that she was able to get the support through various Domestic Violence abuse centers who offered her hope.

My friend feels no guilt for her mother deciding to have an abortion. It was her choice at the time, and she made a choice. She chose to keep her.

Old 09-14-2012, 08:19 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:

Don't waste any time feeling sorry for anyone. You would be surprise how many woman aren't thrilled when they miss their period and hope it just goes away. Even if they wouldn't get an abortion it doesn't mean they don't have thoughts and considerations about it all. It's a pretty big deal having a baby and I promise you that no woman, ever ever ever, wanted to get pregnant every time she had sex....

Old 09-14-2012, 08:19 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Too abort on the base of gender (aborting female children...for cultural reasons) totally defeats the original purpose of free choice for woman- It looks like this issue has gotten complex...A woman's right to kill unborn woman? This is blow back that pro-choice and the feminist movement never envisioned...The right of a woman to have control over her female body...has now turned on itself.

I wonder what the original 70s feminist activists would say on the subject now? Imagine if the abortion issue had started at this point in time..and the original premise was to allow a woman to have the choice ONLY to abort female unborn? I doubt very much if the old activists would go for this- If what is taking place now took place then_ I would say that the pro-abortionists would have all been pro-life....IRONIC how it has developed into this.

No one is pro abortion but they are pro choice. Why you fail to understand that is beyond me

Old 09-14-2012, 08:23 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,441,102 times
Where I live the hospitals will not tell you the sex of the baby for that exact reason. When I was pregnant with my first child I had to argue with the doctor to tell me. We have a very large Indian population here and it is very common in their culture to want boys, so the hospital said no more results on the sex.

Now to the question. No you should not be able to abort based on the sex of the baby.

Old 09-14-2012, 08:32 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,215,820 times
It's nobody else's business why a woman gets an abortion. That's the failure in the premise of this thread. A woman can have any number of reasons for wanting an abortion. And as repugnant or arbitrary as those reasons may be, it's not the position of physicians or the law to question the motive behind doing something they have the legal right to do, and it's as simple as that.

I find the whole argument that we've opened the floodgates to femicide by legalizing abortion so very, very attenuated it's laughable. Show me some proof that women are aborting children in the United States because of their gender or that there is some negative correlation between abortions and the female population and then we'll talk. Until then, saying abortion is bad because some obscure, indeterminate number of women may or may not be getting abortions because the fetus is male OR female is just such an incredibly weak argument.

Old 09-14-2012, 08:35 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,833,652 times
Quote:
Question for pro-choice people.

Would it be okay for a mother to abort a child based on gender?

(For example, she only wanted a male child.)
I don't really care. I'm pro-do whatever you want. I personally think it's pretty dumb to abort a child just because it's a certain gender, but people have been doing it since the beginning of time so it's not like I can really hate on it. Although I certainly don't like the idea of it.

Old 09-18-2012, 01:04 PM

317 posts, read 412,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
I don't really care. I'm pro-do whatever you want. I personally think it's pretty dumb to abort a child just because it's a certain gender, but people have been doing it since the beginning of time so it's not like I can really hate on it. Although I certainly don't like the idea of it.
Sorry, but I've gotta ask: did people really have ultrasound since the beginning of time?

Old 09-18-2012, 05:11 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,546,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Well, since I will never have a clue who is doing what or why with their eggs, sperm, body parts or Dr visits it's OK with me. When people bring their sons or daughters out I say "what a cute baby" and not "how many did you kill before you got this one?".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies