Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 09:47 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,680,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
This is an explanation of how people in Iowa are hungry. Iowa is a farming state but people do manage to be hungry although so much is produced there. It seems that people who have children just don't make enough to feed their children healthful food and that old people tend to buy their medications and pay rent before buying food. I don't think that many people can or do cook their meals and of course this costs them much more money, especially if they have children. I have been shocked to see how many people really don't cook from ignorance or laziness or whatever the reason. Watch the checkout stations in any food store and see what is bought more, prepared food of any kind or canned or frozen vegetables and fruit.

According to this article about 80% of children in Iowa belong to one parent families. That is an astounding number to old people like me.

How can anyone be hungry in America?
Here is a photo of homeless people, and they don't look like they are starving to me either:

Number of children in city's homeless shelters hits 19,000. Teen Francheska Luciano said living in shelter is like a living hell - NY Daily News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 09:56 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
good read roy. I will also add that for some folks without a green thumb or experience, growing beans and tomato plants can be difficult and unsuccessful. it is said one in 5 children go hungry. we need more charity/churches helping out. the amount of food grocery stores and restaurants throw should be better utilized.
Thanks for reading the link.

You do know that the food that food stores and restaurants throw out cannot be used to feed homeless people so I would have to wonder about small children and they mothers.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
Where are you meeting these "poor people"? I do a lot of volunteer work and I just don't see what you're seeing. As for air conditioners, don't know where you live, but in Florida it's almost impossible to live without air conditioning although some do. The kind of humid heat we have down here will kill you if you're not careful.
We must have become a race of real sissies since I was a child. We had nothing but fans and none of them were real big. Of course, that was back in the pioneer days of the 30s and 40s.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
I do think liability has changed everything people do anymore.
Liability and federal law have done too much to people trying to donate food. The law just doesn't allow people to give away food.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
When we were growing up poor on food stamps we didn't have any of that crap POW mentioned. We had cable TV for a couple months at one point before pops cancelled it, I guess for financial reasons. I do remember having the now-famous free cheese and butter a few times, and a lot of flour-sugar-Crisco lunches in the summertime when he was at work or school.
When I was a child we didn't know we were poor but now I know that we were. At least we weren't so poor that we didn't get good food twice a day but we often did get sandwiches with nothing on them but butter and sliced tomato or just lettuce, for lunch. The really good food came in the evening when the bread winner, my dad, was there to eat with us.

There were very few programs to provide food for the poor back in the late 30s and 40s. Maybe it just took too much money to "buy" the way out of that serious depression we were in and then the war took quite a bit of the tax money of the nation.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Same way they can be in the 3rd world.

If you don't have enough income, things thin out pretty quickly. Millions of American families, through no fault of their own, have been tossed on the economic scrap heap by the worst economic crisis in 80 years.

Maybe you missed it.
Here is another one who needs to read the link in the OP instead of jumping in in the middle of things. You would better understand the title question if you had read that. The article came from something other than a right wing publication unless you consider high plains farmers to be all right wing.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Those kids appear to be ones who have been eating other than healthful food to me. It is possible to keep the bellies full with things like mac and cheese which has little to do with a balanced diet.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:16 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,680,436 times
Quote:
Those kids appear to be ones who have been eating other than healthful food to me. It is possible to keep the bellies full with things like mac and cheese which has little to do with a balanced diet.
We were not talking about healthy, balanced diets, we were talking about going hungry, that fat little girl in that pic is definitely not going hungry. Or are we turning this thread into one about proper balanced diets now?

Old 09-10-2012, 10:22 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Quote:
This is an explanation of how people in Iowa are hungry. Iowa is a farming state but people do manage to be hungry although so much is produced there. It seems that people who have children just don't make enough to feed their children healthful food and that old people tend to buy their medications and pay rent before buying food. I don't think that many people can or do cook their meals and of course this costs them much more money, especially if they have children. I have been shocked to see how many people really don't cook from ignorance or laziness or whatever the reason. Watch the checkout stations in any food store and see what is bought more, prepared food of any kind or canned or frozen vegetables and fruit.

According to this article about 80% of children in Iowa belong to one parent families. That is an astounding number to old people like me.

How can anyone be hungry in America?
They removed Home economics from schools awhile ago I guess it didn't conform to liberal gender norms. Folks only know how to cook the prepackaged stuff. Many women I date can't cook the basics so being able to stretch a whole chicken like my mom or grandmom is completely foreign to them.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:26 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Quote:
We must have become a race of real sissies since I was a child. We had nothing but fans and none of them were real big. Of course, that was back in the pioneer days of the 30s and 40s.
Yup now air condition is a requisite to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies