Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 06:19 PM

59,164 posts, read 27,361,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
When all the subsidies and bailout are all figured in, not to mention the big fat government contracts....it ain't even close. The Republicans win by 100 miles.
Then give us the official numbers.

You act like no dems receive any business bailouts and get gov't contracts.

Last edited by CaseyB; 09-16-2012 at 04:46 AM.. Reason: rude

Old 09-14-2012, 07:13 PM

629 posts, read 946,752 times
If 75% of the people on TANF are under 18, I want to know how 80% of recipients are Democrats.

Please explain this.

Old 09-14-2012, 11:53 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,301,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
If 75% of the people on TANF are under 18, I want to know how 80% of recipients are Democrats.

Please explain this.

I know. I wrote earlier that the vast majority of the money that the government spends on the poor goes to children.

It is also a well known fact that most poor people do not vote.

Conservatives do not care about reality when it comes to their ideological beliefs. I mean they have constructed this whole belief about Democrats buying votes with government handouts that reality doesn't penetrate.

Truly if elected democrats were trying to give government handouts for votes, they wouldn't target poor people at all because most of the benefits go to children and most poor people do not vote, and a lot of voters hate government money going to help the undeserving poor.

Old 09-15-2012, 10:14 AM

The obvious answer is that the figures actually mean 80% of heads of household receiving TANF are Democrats (which may or may not be the case), but it sounds better to say "recipients" if you want it to sound as if the undeserving poor are voting themselves all kinds of lobster and caviar on TAXPAYER MONEY.

Old 09-15-2012, 06:21 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,683,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I would agree with that. Unless one is a property or business owner, a vet or current active duty, they should not be allowed to vote.

The dependent class will continue to simply vote themselves more and more money and destroy the nation.
What about renters? I do agree that most welfare parents are democrats. Most 18 year olds are democrats. I think that most liberal dems don't get it because they don't know what it is like to have to support yourself. Maybe voting should be limited to people who support themselves.

Case in point, I know someone who is all for Obama in the next election. He is fully supported by his mom and girlfriend. Why does he care if the rest of us have to struggle? He has mommy and girlfriend paying his bills. He is talking about buying the next Iphone because he has no bills to pay.

Everyone I know who supports themselves is voting for Romney or writing in Ron Paul in November. People who are dependent are voting for Obama.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:55 PM

I support myself, I was much more conservative when I was 18, and I'm voting for Obama, but I wish there actually was a liberal in this race rather than 2 centrists

Old 09-16-2012, 12:40 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,480,969 times
Quote:
It was interesting to read a thread posted by a liberal who suggested that republicans recieve more federal aid than democrats, given that many "red states" recieve more tax dollars than they send to Washington. This is for a variety of reasons, including farm subsidies, maintenance of dams, locks, and ports, national parks, and military facilities.

However, THE MAJORITY OF WELFARE RECIPIENTS ARE DEMOCRATS.

Super-Economy: Are Welfare Recipients mostly Republican?

Is it any wonder that the dems keep handing out "treats" for votes, thus bankrupting the nation?

The fact that something like 40 percent of welfare recipients are black will severely skew the numbers. If you consider only white welfare recipients, voting is probably roughly evenly split between the parties, with a plurality not voting at all. The low voter turnout among welfare recipients makes goodies-for-votes a poor election strategy.

Red states tend to have more regressive tax structures than blue states, and a lot of low-income people are sufficiently tax-averse to prefer the candidate and the party that will tax them least.

Old 09-16-2012, 02:33 AM

552 posts, read 739,343 times
Quote:
It was interesting to read a thread posted by a liberal who suggested that republicans recieve more federal aid than democrats, given that many "red states" recieve more tax dollars than they send to Washington. This is for a variety of reasons, including farm subsidies, maintenance of dams, locks, and ports, national parks, and military facilities.

However, THE MAJORITY OF WELFARE RECIPIENTS ARE DEMOCRATS.

Super-Economy: Are Welfare Recipients mostly Republican?

Is it any wonder that the dems keep handing out "treats" for votes, thus bankrupting the nation?
Do you always get your news from blogs?

Old 09-16-2012, 02:40 AM

30,364 posts, read 51,976,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post
What about renters? I do agree that most welfare parents are democrats. Most 18 year olds are democrats. I think that most liberal dems don't get it because they don't know what it is like to have to support yourself. Maybe voting should be limited to people who support themselves.

Case in point, I know someone who is all for Obama in the next election. He is fully supported by his mom and girlfriend. Why does he care if the rest of us have to struggle? He has mommy and girlfriend paying his bills. He is talking about buying the next Iphone because he has no bills to pay.

Everyone I know who supports themselves is voting for Romney or writing in Ron Paul in November. People who are dependent are voting for Obama.
What a ridiculous (and false) statement. I live in one of the larger regions in the US, with a population of millions, and approximately 70% of us vote Democrat... are you saying 70% people in Silicon Valley, where that computer you're typing on was probably invented, are being supported by mom & dad? LOL! I am self-supporting, as are probably 99% of the people I know, and few if any of us are voting for Romney. Next time you make such a claim, at least try to back it up with facts - which in this case would be impossible, I know.

Old 09-16-2012, 02:42 AM

30,364 posts, read 51,976,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
The fact that something like 40 percent of welfare recipients are black will severely skew the numbers. If you consider only white welfare recipients, voting is probably roughly evenly split between the parties, with a plurality not voting at all. The low voter turnout among welfare recipients makes goodies-for-votes a poor election strategy.
Why should we only consider white voters, to make this a valid statement? Since when don't black people count?

The OP didn't say anything about race, they were comparing Dems vs Reps - and having common voting trends among a certain race doesn't "skew" anything, it just is what it is. Again, since when are black voters not counted as Americans in general?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies