Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2012, 10:21 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,894,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
That variation is because it's up to a business to define what constitutes full time for them.
The DOL has stayed out of defining that. At full time other additional benefits kick in.

Think of the software changes needed if an employee has to have 2 classifications..one for healthcare and another for all the other company benefits.

Tax forms would get ugly as well.
I don't understand why tax forms would get any uglier than they are now. The witholding, SS all that stuff is very individual. At my office, we are paid by the hour, and virutally everyone works a different number of hours. You are creating a problem where none exists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 10:21 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,574,694 times
Some retailers do consider 30 or 32 hours as full-time employment, including CVS & Walgreens.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:26 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,576,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I don't understand why tax forms would get any uglier than they are now. The witholding, SS all that stuff is very individual. At my office, we are paid by the hour, and virutally everyone works a different number of hours. You are creating a problem where none exists.
Do you recall the limit for small business ?
Any small business with 50 or more full time workers had to provide healthcare else they were exempt.

Realize how many small businesses will now have full time workers with these changed hours whereas before this ruling they didn't have 50 full time employees.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:39 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,233,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Actually a human is still a human when they are 26 and only work 30 hours a week.

And it's great we live in a country that can easily afford to give citizens health insurance and I'm thankful a few people, mainly Democrats, are humane in trying to extend health coverage to everyone.
Really? What can easily be afforded? We're 16+ trillion dollars in debt.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:40 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,894,993 times
Quote:
Do you recall the limit for small business ?
Any small business with 50 or more full time workers had to provide healthcare else they were exempt.

Realize how many small businesses will now have full time workers with these changed hours whereas before this ruling they didn't have 50 full time employees.
Well, now you're bringing up a different issue altogether. Yes, the feds are telling them they have to provide HI to their employees who work more than 30 hrs a week. This was not an unknown. The feds are NOT telling any business how much vacation to give, how much funeral leave, how many inservice days, etc.

Old 09-13-2012, 11:02 PM

27,176 posts, read 15,359,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebrehm View Post
I fail to see how full work-time being lowered to 30 hours a week from 40 hours is a bad thing. Does that not give people more time to spend with their families and more leisure time?

Oh right. Obama is a liberal. That means that everything he does is bad by default. How silly of me to forget.

Yeah, sure who needs the money to care for that family after all.

Old 09-13-2012, 11:18 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,464,716 times
Quote:
Yup. Does anyone think that Walmart will give full time benefits to all those people working 30-33 hours ?
34 hours is full time status for Walmart. I don't think so. Instead Walmart is going to bump them down to 29 hours.

Nice work. The poor just got that much poorer.

Old 09-13-2012, 11:19 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,464,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andramont View Post
so true !!

Old 09-13-2012, 11:43 PM

37,152 posts, read 42,269,129 times
Quote:
How is business causing desperation here ?
Any business that used to have 40 hours as full time and anything under that as part time will soon have a boatload of new full time employees that will get full time benefits. This is over and above Obamacare.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
It ain't hyperbole when I am not getting enough hours to make it! READ again! At 32 hours, I'm just making it. With 30 hours being considered full time, I will be placed at UNDER 30 hours. I will lose AT LEAST 8 hours a month, probably more, and if I'm JUST making it on the 32 hours I get now, guess what a loss of 8 flipping hours means to me?

Have you been out there trying to find work? You think it's easy to just find another job? So I have to not only successfully get another one, I have to find one that works around the hours of the first one. And if I don't? I can't afford my rent anymore.

THAT IS NOT HYPERBOLE!
Have you been informed by your employer that ANY OF THIS is going to happen to you? Already? Really?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that all of us have a hand in making this situation as bad as it it. From the top down, government included. Jobs are being sent away, hours are being cut to save benefit money, or employees are being made "freelancers" so they can get worked as many hours as they can humanly work while getting as little pay as possible, to be let go at will, no benefits at all because hey, you gotta under cut the competition when you offer your services or bid on a job or your won't get any work at all. Interns, unpaid, being the norm if you want to "get your foot in the door" and hope somehow it will turn into a stable job (it usually wont'). I'm tell you...race to the bottom and everyone is so scared that what little they have might be lost that nobody wants to make waves and will actually COMPLAIN when someone tries to improve things (ie "shut up and don't do anything or they might ship our jobs to India!") I've heard it, seen it. I don't have a solution but I know it's wrong.

Old 09-14-2012, 12:10 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,939,929 times
At lower levels lbor jobs they have already started usig more tempoary contract wokers to provide basic labor skills.The USPS has long done just that and they call them 90 days wanders as they can only stay 90 days to not be considered permanent employees.The of course their is the self employed day workers;;who will like end up om medicaid at taxpayers expemse i the end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies