Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 09:41 PM

635 posts, read 539,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Seizure of assets without due process? hmmm too bad King George isn't around to witness America come full circle
There is due process, it's just a civil case, not a criminal case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftyTrav View Post
I'm sure you're joking with that analogy, but in case you weren't....the difference is: You were lent the money to buy something of worth to the bank - your house. Not to mention the fact that at the time you signed the papers, I'm pretty certain you showed proof to the bank that you were capable, and were in fact supporting yourself.

Someone on welfare is NOT apparently capable of supporting themselves, at least at that moment in time, and therefore is procuring what amounts to a signature loan from the government....only this loan doesn't have to paid back. I don't think it's too much of a stretch to consider ensuring that this bounty...coming from taxpayer monies....isn't being pi$$ed away on a drug or alcohol habit.

Wouldn't you say?
He said he owned the welfare recipient.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:44 PM

45,217 posts, read 26,427,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qr5667 View Post
There is due process, it's just a civil case, not a criminal case.
oh okay

Quote:
It’s a dangerous extension of the civil-forfeiture doctrine, a surreal legal fiction in which the seized property — not a person — is put on trial. This allows prosecutors to dispense with pesky constitutional rights, which conveniently don’t apply to inanimate objects. In this looking-glass world, the owner is effectively guilty until proved innocent and has the burden of proving otherwise. Anyone falsely accused will never see his property again unless he succeeds

Read more: GHEI: ATF's latest gun grab - Washington Times GHEI: ATF's latest gun grab - Washington Times
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

Old 09-13-2012, 10:18 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,354,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The Obama Administration through the Justice Department has given the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) the authority to “seize and administratively forfeit property involved in controlled-substance abuses.” In effect: those who are convicted of crimes involving alcohol and/or substance abusers will have their right to bear arms revoked.
This is not news!
Federal forfeiture and seizure have been part of the war on drugs since the 80's! ATF and the FBI have been using confiscated EVERYTHING for decades now, from houses and factory buildings on down! Guns are just a minor part of it compared to all the mansions, Escalades, jewelry, cash, computer networks, boats, airplanes, and all the other stuff that's been seized.

If I was a pot grower, I wouldn't spend a second worrying about my roscoe. I can get another gun in an hour. But the pot factory in that old body shop downtown would worry me to pieces!

Old 09-13-2012, 10:32 PM

30,334 posts, read 51,925,382 times
Reason #590 why pot should be federally legalized... until then, I'm grateful to live in one of the few states where it already is (for medical users like myself & de-criminalized for everyone else).

And I'm not even a fan of guns, but I think the general restrictions are sufficient enough!

Old 09-13-2012, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
oh okay
The government has to sue the object- and by extension the owner, you have your day in court.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies