Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 11:38 AM

7,814 posts, read 6,394,840 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 11:38 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,944,845 times

Our System of Foreign Aid is Broken - YouTube

Old 09-14-2012, 11:40 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,441,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRage View Post
Who is they? Also, have you even BEEN to the Middle East? I can assure you, not everyone walks around with bombs strewn across their chests.

TERRORISTS!! Hello!! They send out children to try and kill people that disagree with them. Seems like they don't have a great deal of care for life in general. Please show me where I said everyone. You can't because I didn't. And YES I have been too the Middle East.

Old 09-14-2012, 11:42 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,538,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Hey there Sailor. You have been out to sea way too long. We got rid of Bush and the repubs because he drove our economy into the ground.
1. No one got rid of Bush, his term limit prevented him from running for a third term (Civics 101).
2. The news media and people on these boards regularly accused Bush of causing Muslims around the world to hate us.
3. The news media and people here on these boards were saying Muslims would now like us and not hate us because Bush was gone and Obama, the great uniter, would get them to like us.

8,560 posts, read 11,217,763 times
Quote:
So what would YOU do if you were President? (And don't cop out by saying that if you were President, none of this would be happening. If McCain had won in 2008, it is extremely likely that this would be happening -- or that it would have happened three years ago.)

Well?
Ask China to intervene militarily. Bring tanks. Let them have the place as a reward. Would give new meaning to dhimmitude.

2,028 posts, read 1,888,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
The North Vietnamese won before we ever engtered combat there, they had something to fight for, we didn't.
Regardless, it was still seen as a US loss, the point the OP seems to be arguing against in the section I quoted. I don't care if the US is seen as "losing" if the smart thing to do is get out and watch them implode from a distance.

For those who want to bring up the "what if they get a nuke" argument, just let Israel handle that on their own. They have 300 nukes and a solid military. If Iran or some other Middle Eastern rogue country gets 1, they can likely get the job done without our help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Yes, and our defeat in Vietnam colored U.S. foreign policy for three decades -- right up to the fall of Baghdad in 2003, because ever since 1975, war hawks had been eager to finally "win one" (the glorious liberation of Grenada hardly counts).

Harry Truman was widely pilloried for "losing China." Imagine how history would judge the President who "lost" the entire Middle East.
If you're using that point to describe potential negative consequences and realities, point taken.

I don't care about presidential legacies and I have a strong dislike for war hawks. I was simply giving the OP a workable solution to his/her questions. Of course this would take a statesman who doesn't care about legacy.

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Hey there Sailor. You have been out to sea way too long. We got rid of Bush and the repubs because he drove our economy into the ground.
So you admit you got rid of him for something he didnt do, and replaced him with someone who doesnt have a clue..

Are you now denying Obama ran on america not policing the world?

Old 09-14-2012, 11:45 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,538,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRage View Post
Who is they? Also, have you even BEEN to the Middle East? I can assure you, not everyone walks around with bombs strewn across their chests.
Who? Terrorist in Palestine (prior to Israel building the wall liberals hate so much), Iraq, and Afghanistan for example. At some point they ran out of adults willing to strap on the bomb and put them on mentally disabled people and children.

Old 09-14-2012, 11:47 AM

15,095 posts, read 8,639,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
How would you handle the situation in the Muslim world?

It's physically impossible to kill 2 billion Muslims.

It's politically impossible to just withdraw from the Middle East entirely -- then the protesters would think they'd won.

It's militarily impossible to lob a few nukes at random Middle East cities without suffering massive fallout -- both literally and metaphorically.

So what would YOU do if you were President? (And don't cop out by saying that if you were President, none of this would be happening. If McCain had won in 2008, it is extremely likely that this would be happening -- or that it would have happened three years ago.)

Well?
Since apparently you seem totally unaware of this reality ... what could have been done would have prevented ALL OF IT. We could have NOT invaded Afghanistan and Iraq ... now two war torn countries teetering on the brink of full scale civil war. US, Israeli and British Intelligence then created this "Arab Spring" and funded the overthrow of Egypt's government ... Libya's government ... and Syria's government ... while creating unrest in Pakistan by means of constant drone attacks killing thousands of Pakistani citizens. Sudan, Somalia, the list goes on forever. Target Iran ... if you were to look at a map of the region, you'd see almost 4 dozen US Military bases just in the Middle East literally encircling Iran, as the entire region breaks down ... all by design:

The best course of action would be to begin immediate withdraw of all US Forces in the entire region ... and tell Israel that if they want World War III .... they'll have to fight it all by themselves, and without further US Aid. Then, this crap would end.

A nice little switch in foreign policy from endless war and destruction, to "GET THE FRACK OUT", and leave those people alone .... that's how. They don't hate us because we are free (because we aren't free) they hate us because we are KILLING THEM ... and DESTROYING THEIR COUNTRIES, one by one.

Old 09-14-2012, 11:48 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,821,936 times
Default To all you foreign-policy experts who think you know better than the Obama administration...

I'd be JFK or Lyndon Johnson and pour tens of billions of dollars into alternative energy technologies and space exploration when things were looking good instead of selling out to the corporations so that we don't need the Middle East's oil to survive as a civilization today, nor the need to depend on Wall Street for our economic health.

But hindsight is 20-20

This didn't just blow up in our faces, it's planned. Now the governments of all the unfriendly Middle East countries minus Iran are totally destabilized and unable to unite effectively and we have a solid reason to begin the open full scale regional war that has been in the works for a decade.

So if I was "The Man" I would proceed with the plan and let the "unwashed masses" whine on web forums about how stupid and inept I was.

Meanwhile I would carefully manipulate the masses into hating Muslims without them realizing it so they don't mind as much when the photos and videos of mounds of corpses inevitably hit the net.

Previously, I will have encouraged and supported the widespread distribution of ultra-realistic looking, "guts and glory" Middle East war themed video games to prime an entire generation of new soldiers for my planned conflict. I would also let the public education system rot and do whatever I could to make more stupid, easily manipulable people without making it obvious that's what I am doing, making it far easier to keep things at home under control and all anger focused on the "enemy" instead of myself.

I would spend, spend spend! with wild abandon, trying to milk the dollar for all it's worth while it's still worth something on the world stage.

I would engage in a program of rabid disinformation and "tin foil hat" foolery to hide my agenda and when the right time came, I would send the full fury of the military in a blitz across the Middle East, wiping away all dissidents with little to no regard for human life and with very low casualties on my side thanks to all the unconventional "softening of the battlefield" I had instigated previously.

I would do my damnedest to keep China and Russia out for as long as possible and if they moved against us I would threaten them with with my full nuclear strike capability, along with a powerful missile defense shield using new secret technologies such as anti-missile lasers on aerial drones that can stay aloft for days at a time, hoping the threat of complete annihilation vs our capability to weather a counterstrike would keep them at bay.

If it all ended successfully, I would ditch the all-but-wasted away dollar currency, wiping away all past debts and introduce a new semi-global currency that we would share with our allies. This would be successful because I could blame it on the war and still keep the world's confidence. The oil would be mine, my competitors isolated and weakened and I could get along with "business as usual".

Please, somebody tell me it isn't gonna happen that way. It scares me just to type it; it's so diabolical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies