Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 12:09 AM

2,949 posts, read 5,500,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Sarah Palin wasn't attacked for being a strong, vocal, determined conservative woman. She was attacked for being utterly clueless and constantly spouting off unfounded nonsense. Similarly, Allen West isn't attacked for being a conservative, he's attacked for saying utterly crazy crap with no basis in reality.

There are plenty of Republican women in politics who don't catch the kind of flack that wing nuts like Sarah Palin and Michele Bachmann get. There's a reason for that, and it has nothing to do with their gender and everything to do with them being loud-mouthed morons who constantly spew breathtakingly idiotic nonsense.
You just made my point. You don`t agree with her so it`s ok to call her and her children vile names. I rest my case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2012, 12:14 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,297,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
I was wondering what democrats thought about this. Please give your honest opinion. When you really think about it, do you believe the mainstream media and cnn lean to the left and therefore their coverage is biased? I know what republicans think and I know that talk radio is far to the right and npr to the left. I`m also not talking about the hannity`s and limbaugh`s or the matthew`s and people that are extreme to each side. I`m talking about mainstream and cnn. Do democrats really believe there is fair unbiased treatment in the media?

The problem is people can believe whatever they want, and they way the human mind works we can convince ourselves of any beliefs we want to have.

I think conservatives believe the news is propaganda. They just want the news to report their conservative propoganda the same way they believe it reports liberal propaganda.

This is the best way I understand things.

I don't know if CNN or the mainstream media has some deep hidden bias against conservatives.

All I know is this the media is run by big corporations. Big Corporations are run by rich people. Many individual rich people tend favor lower taxes on rich people, tend to support fewer regulations, fewer or weaker workers rights, etc.

Also, there are other demographic factors to consider. Most tv news anchors, commentators and reporters are white in their late 30's and up, very well to do, married, many are christian, again, the political demographics of that group of people is not necessarily liberal.

Yet, conservatives believe that the mainstream media is against them. I don't know where that belief comes from, but it doesn't really make any sense.

Old 09-15-2012, 12:29 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,981,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
if the media is so biased, how did bush 1 and bush 2 win 3 combined elections? How is it, the republicans took back the house in 2010? I think you guys just hate obama so much, if the media says anything good about him or bad about romney, the media is obviously liberal.
Bush 1 & 2 no internet, not alot of people had cable TV for one.

Old 09-15-2012, 12:31 AM

2,949 posts, read 5,500,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
The problem is people can believe whatever they want, and they way the human mind works we can convince ourselves of any beliefs we want to have.

I think conservatives believe the news is propaganda. They just want the news to report their conservative propoganda the same way they believe it reports liberal propaganda.

This is the best way I understand things.

I don't know if CNN or the mainstream media has some deep hidden bias against conservatives.

All I know is this the media is run by big corporations. Big Corporations are run by rich people. Many individual rich people tend favor lower taxes on rich people, tend to support fewer regulations, fewer or weaker workers rights, etc.

Also, there are other demographic factors to consider. Most tv news anchors, commentators and reporters are white in their late 30's and up, very well to do, married, many are christian, again, the political demographics of that group of people is not necessarily liberal.

Yet, conservatives believe that the mainstream media is against them. I don't know where that belief comes from, but it doesn't really make any sense.
There are plenty of big corporations that support democrats. Obama isn`t getting all of his money from poor people. Ge owns NBC Msnbc,etc. Most of the major newspapers in the country are leftwing and they are owned by corp. It`s a fallacy that big corps are only for repubs. They can get out of paying taxes no matter who`s in office. They give money to obama and the democrats and get favors in return. Just like they do with repubs. The only difference is, the media has people believing that dems aren`t in cahoots with big business. It`s all a big joke really and they laugh all the way to the bank.

As far as the demographic factor, that has nothing to do with it. White rich people vote democratic as well. Take a look at your congressman and senators. Most are rich white men. Look at your hollywood elites..rich white men. The dems have just as much money as the repubs. The difference is that a pole was done and the majority of journalist were found to vote democrat. Rich people don`t care who is in office, they have enough money regardless. They just pay for influence. You`re being naive if you don`t think dems give out special treatment to their big donors.

So it actually makles a lot of sense. To say you don`t know where it comes from and it doesn`t make sense would,be like a conservative saying that fox news is not biased and I don`t know why liberals think it is.

Old 09-15-2012, 12:38 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,661,722 times
Republicans wondering why they dont get "fair treatment" is the same as muslims wondering why they get ostracized just because they blow something up somewhere, occasionally.

Old 09-15-2012, 12:43 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,297,969 times
Quote:
There are plenty of big corporations that support democrats. Obama isn`t getting all of his money from poor people. Ge owns NBC Msnbc,etc. Most of the major newspapers in the country are leftwing and they are owned by corp. It`s a fallacy that big corps are only for repubs. They can get out of paying taxes no matter who`s in office. They give money to obama and the democrats and get favors in return. Just like they do with repubs. The only difference is, the media has people believing that dems aren`t in cahoots with big business. It`s all a big joke really and they laugh all the way to the bank.

As far as the demographic factor, that has nothing to do with it. White rich people vote democratic as well. Take a look at your congressman and senators. Most are rich white men. Look at your hollywood elites..rich white men. The dems have just as much money as the repubs. The difference is that a pole was done and the majority of journalist were found to vote democrat. Rich people don`t care who is in office, they have enough money regardless. They just pay for influence. You`re being naive if you don`t think dems give out special treatment to their big donors.

So it actually makles a lot of sense. To say you don`t know where it comes from and it doesn`t make sense would,be like a conservative saying that fox news is not biased and I don`t know why liberals think it is.

You are making things too simplistic. I never said that some corporations don't support the Democratic party.

Conservatives believe nearly ALL big media corporations support the Democratic party, given the interests of big corporations this is very, very unlikely.

Conservatives believe that most of those white over 30 year old married reporters, media execs, commentators, anchors, producers, writers, etc support the Democratic party. Given the average political beliefs of that group of people that is very, very unlikely.

Regarding that study, I'd have some questions such as, Where were the media people they surveyed living? Did they only survey those media people who lived in New York or LA or Chicago?

Did they survey those who live in MO, or Texas or South Carolina, or Mississippi, etc?

Again, big corporations tend to have interests that are not against conservatives. Rich or upper income married over 30 year white people tend to have interests that are not against conservatives. This I think is reality.

Old 09-15-2012, 10:03 AM

629 posts, read 946,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatTheKing View Post
The other thing I would gently suggest is that, because conservatives are very frequently rural or suburban (by definition a bit self-segregating), they tend to be big fish in their small ponds. They're accustomed to being the majority in the groups they are in, and having authority itself (their authority, their local gov't authority, whatever) respected and relatively unquestioned. The Democratic coalition has a lot more either city-dwellers or minorities (or both) - part of being either of those things is spending a lot more time being different from most people you are around. Mainstream media is always pretty superficial and shallow and borderline unfair, regardless of who its covering. But if you're a minority, you're accustomed to dealing with that all the time anyway. The news isn't any different than the rest of your interactions with people you don't know well. It's not a cause for alarm that they get stuff wrong. I suspect that a lot of conservatives get a lot less practices dealing with that sort of thing in their daily lives (by design), and so its more upsetting to them when they're on the receiving end of it. If you think mainstream news is unfair to conservatives, just imagine trying to be a hardworking middle class African-American in this country - the nightly news is practically a giant advertisement 15 minute advertisement for white people to be terrified of black men every single night of the week.
While mostly I think your analysis is spot-on, I don't think a lot of conservatives feel that they are the majority or authority that *they used to be* (as women and minorities become more empowered in our culture) and find that situation very unsettling.

Old 09-15-2012, 10:04 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
You just made my point. You don`t agree with her so it`s ok to call her and her children vile names. I rest my case.
I made your point?

Your claim was that the left hates strong conservative women. The reality is that people mock Sarah Palin because she's just so stunningly clueless and seemingly proud of it. Her children are largely ignored by the news media. Maybe they occasionally get a little coverage when they actively try to draw attention to themselves?

Old 09-15-2012, 10:09 AM

629 posts, read 946,344 times
Quote:
You make some good points. But I do see a difference in the way certain media covers politics. For instance, you talk about Sarah Palin. Liberals loathe her. But yet they are always championing women`s rights. But it seems they hate strong, vocal, determined conservative women. They champion minorities and blacks in particular. But conservative blacks seemed to be looked down on or labeled. In other words, I think there is a difference between the way conservative women and blacks are covered in the media as opposed to liberal women and blacks.
Liberals don't dislike Sarah Palin because she's strong and vocal. They attack her because (whether she is or not) they think she's as dumb as a wall and/or a demagogue. While liberals don't always *agree* with Condoleezza Rice, most respect her as an articulate, intelligent, conservative black woman. Do you see the difference?

(My very-liberal dad had a lot of respect and admiration for Elizabeth Dole. It was kind of cute).

Old 09-15-2012, 10:26 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,376,187 times
I got my lesson in left-leaning media at the tender age of 16.

Anti-Nixon sentiment was strong, and I was involved with a grassroots citizens group that wanted him impeached. We hauled one of our congressmen (don't remember if it was Stafford or Jeffords) to back from Washington to question him about where he stood.

There was a town-hall like meeting and I tried to nail him down. I asked what he thought of Nixon saying he didn't have any tapes. He dodged the question. I stood up again and asked what he thought of Nixon admitting he had tapes but wasn't obligated to turn them over. Again, he dodged the question. Yet again I stood up and ask him what he thought of the 18 minute gap that was found on the tapes when Nixon finally turned them over. One last time he dodged the question.

The following week I read in Time magazine that "even Senator Stafford [or maybe Rep Jeffords] is no longer standing behind Nixon" or similar wording. I haven't bought a Time magazine since. I was THERE and could he how this guy was twisting and turning trying to avoid saying anything bad about Nixon, and Time absolutely misrepresented it.

So is there media bias? Yes, I do think the MSM leans left. I lean left myself but that does not mean I want my news slanted. I automatically filter a lot of things that were written by the journalist and try to concentrate on facts and quotes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies