Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 08:28 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
There is a big difference in wanting someone to die and trying to make them live for as long as possible.
There is nothing worse than merely existing on and on and on and on.

Do you really think that people prefer to live like that?

It's not about YOU. It's about that person in the bed. YOU, not the nurses, doctors, or hospital are making the choice to keep the person alive as long as possible. If you prefer that Nature take over, then let the doctor, etc. know your feelings.

There's a lot that can be done to keep the heart breathing and the lungs working. Is this life? Would you want to live like that?
It is astounding how often end-of-life decisions are over-ridden by family members.
It is the most selfish thing imaginable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2012, 09:10 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,908,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
Damn this funny, people who have never lived and worked in the UK are experts on the NHS.
Just let them die, hell no, the Brits just prop oldies up against the wall and shoot them, far more efficient.
And if you believe that you would that you would believe they have death panels to select those who will be slotted in the UK.
I found the NHS to be great when I needed it and was in the UK.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:13 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
We have death panels here in the USA, already.

My dad, 82 is in front of a death panel right now and I'm fighting them the whole way.

Once you are on Medicare, they own your ass, lock, stock & barrel
Few, if any, leaners know that state Medicare panels are in effect nothing but death panels. They determine what will be paid for any medical procedure and it is a pile less that insurance companies pay. The companies, though don't pay much since they just have to pay the tiny bit the panels say they have to pay.

I am very near 80 and expect to see Medicare start cutting back on me because of my age. There are no doctors or hospital people on our panel but they determine how much Medicare will pay. I have tried and tried to tell these people from personal experience what is going on but since none of them are mixed up with Medicare they just won't believe anything.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:18 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
It is astounding how often end-of-life decisions are over-ridden by family members.
This

Watching a elderly person being kept alive while enduring the end of life aspects of accute diabetes with being bed-ridden for years with the solidifying of leg arteries and the subsequent wacking off of limbs when it is the persons wish to just slip away quietly, is no walk in the park. Family showing up once in a while to enquire "how's he doing" as though feigning concern will somehow give them absolution from causing that damn struggle, is mind numbing.

Listening to a family member undergoing medical intervention expressing their wish in a lucid manner to simply join their loved ones who've gone beforehand and being summarily ignored in their wish is another clamp-your-mouth-shut moment.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
I found the NHS to be great when I needed it and was in the UK.
You aren't 75 now, are you? Death panels are for old people.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Hospital employees can override that kind of plan too. My dad was 94 when he passed away in a hospital. His plans for his end of life were on the counter at the nurses' station but an aid found him recently expired and saved him. Ignorance, in that case was not necessary and the old man went out of his mind because they kept him alive when he had ordered it not to happen.

I have thought and thought about making one of those things but from knowing what happened to him just keep putting it off since so many people can be involved in stretching things out. I am not ready to go but I still get around and am still able to think so maybe I need to get ready since Obamacare will do me in in a year or two.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:23 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
That's all well and good what you want. But this isn't about you. What does your father want. Have you even asked him. Does he really want to live like this

He is not terminal.

He is starved and now almost dehydrated.
If my dad wanted to go, he would not be fighting as hard as he is.
He can communicate. but so weak, he can't speak anymore.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Few, if any, leaners know that state Medicare panels are in effect nothing but death panels. They determine what will be paid for any medical procedure and it is a pile less that insurance companies pay. The companies, though don't pay much since they just have to pay the tiny bit the panels say they have to pay.

I am very near 80 and expect to see Medicare start cutting back on me because of my age. There are no doctors or hospital people on our panel but they determine how much Medicare will pay. I have tried and tried to tell these people from personal experience what is going on but since none of them are mixed up with Medicare they just won't believe anything.

I pray you have family smart enough to see what they are doing.
It would be one thing, if my dad was terminal. Thing is, he is not.

They are forcing the issue.

They need to treat my dad as if he is a elderly man, found in the desert after being out there for 3-4 weeks with minimal water and no food.
Not, he is too old to dump cash into.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:30 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
He is not terminal.

He is starved and now almost dehydrated.
If my dad wanted to go, he would not be fighting as hard as he is.
He can communicate. but so weak, he can't speak anymore.
So, against his wishes and your wishes the Dr's just decided to withhold everything because....?

Old 09-15-2012, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
So, against his wishes and your wishes the Dr's just decided to withhold everything because....?

It was real funny how it all happened. He had 4 doctors, all telling me different outcomes.
Dr. Kevorkian, was the one that sent him to Hospice, where they took him off all fluids and feeding and oxygen, after their evaluation. They (3 Hospice salespeople)oversold Hospice to me and told me something totally different, when I signed the papers to let him go there. Hospice has been tell me one thing, then doing another, the entire time there.

My dad was placed in the hospital originally, to monitor him for pain medication for a back ache/neck pain.
He was self sufficient, living by himself and driving. By no means, terminal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies